#1 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:52 pm

I'm getting more and more hacked off with numb fingers at the end of my 40mile commute to/from work each day.
I've looked at heated gloves in the past (Gerbing specifically) but wonder/worry about their ability in the wet.
Can anyone comment...
I've got Richa Cold Protect at the mo and although they've kept me dry my fingers are numb to the point of white and on occasion painful!
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:11 am

I thought you had heated grips. I hope you got the switch I sent?

Edited by muddy, 04 December 2014 - 12:11 am.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:04 am

Have you tried extending your handguards ?

iirc Ivan (?) had an issue with heated glove waterproofabilityness.  Lee Henty has a pair of heated gerbils so ya could massage him if he don't turnip on this fred.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:37 am

Possibly unhelpful post......

I've got a pair of heated UNDER-gloves. They are driven, via attached leads, from a pair of switched rechargeable batteries ,
which reside in small pouches, either on the gloves or on separate arm bands. They fit under (waterproof) winter gloves.

They are pretty effective at keeping your hands warm, but don't defrost the tips of fingers.
They were a gift, but I did catch sight of the invoice,..........pretty expensive.
Quite fiddly, but regular use (which I don't) probably would nullify that deterrent.
Charged battery lasts 4 hours.

Can supply details if anyone's interested.....

Jiff.

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:44 am

Why dont you fit handlebar muffs, along with heated grips your hands will be really toasty, used to have a pair of Oxfords which needed a bit of fettling to fit, but they work so well, i used them some years ago (March) to Slovakia and home, rode through many a downpour and some very cold weather in the Tatras, cold hands were never an issue.. cheaper option as well.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:32 am

+1. As soon as the first frost appears the Oxford muffs are fitted to the ER6. They will stop the sore fingers for at least your 40 mile round trip.

I priced up the Keis heated gloves but at £145 for the gloves and lead I think I will stick with the muffs, plus I know someday I would walk off with the lead attached to the bike :rant: .

#7 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:57 pm

I thought you had heated grips. I hope you got the switch I sent?

Switch received - just haven't moved the grips over yet...and if I'm honest I'm not sure the elements will take another move, they've been refitted so many times now that the metal tracks are showing signs of age!

Possibly unhelpful post......

I've got a pair of heated UNDER-gloves. They are driven, via attached leads, from a pair of switched rechargeable batteries ,
which reside in small pouches, either on the gloves or on separate arm bands. They fit under (waterproof) winter gloves.

They are pretty effective at keeping your hands warm, but don't defrost the tips of fingers.
They were a gift, but I did catch sight of the invoice,..........pretty expensive.
Quite fiddly, but regular use (which I don't) probably would nullify that deterrent.
Charged battery lasts 4 hours.

Can supply details if anyone's interested.....

Jiff.

Not really an option with my current gloves as they are "fitted" now, so an extra layer would make them tight, and reduce the thermal insulation as there would be less air gap.

Why dont you fit handlebar muffs, along with heated grips your hands will be really toasty, used to have a pair of Oxfords which needed a bit of fettling to fit, but they work so well, i used them some years ago (March) to Slovakia and home, rode through many a downpour and some very cold weather in the Tatras, cold hands were never an issue.. cheaper option as well.

+1. As soon as the first frost appears the Oxford muffs are fitted to the ER6. They will stop the sore fingers for at least your 40 mile round trip.

I priced up the Keis heated gloves but at £145 for the gloves and lead I think I will stick with the muffs, plus I know someday I would walk off with the lead attached to the bike :rant: .

I've still got my Oxford Sports Muffs in the shed.  Will fettle them on this weekend, and see if that helps.  At least reducing some of the wind chill will help.

Annoyingly it appears that there are gloves that heat/keep you hands warm, and there are gloves that keep your hands dry, but a very limited offering of gloves that do both (at a sensible price).

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:15 pm

I've got an idea that might work for about an hours ride. When I broke my wrist I used to use a hot compress as part of the healing process. I read online about putting  rice in a sock then microwaving, so I tried this and it worked a treat for a localized heat. I used brown rice as I thought there would be more moisture for the microwave to agitate. So I wonder if you could unpick a bit of each muff and fill the liner cavity with rice as a way of creating microwavable handlebar muffs. They'd have to be easy detachable of course. Just a brainstorm :hide:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#9 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:38 pm

I've found an even better solution than that and just right for any style conscious 9er rider. Micro Hottie in hot pink. Heat it up, stuff it inside your muff and create a nice warm, fluffy nest for those delicate little pinkies. 

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item259a6032a4

Nothing new under the sun :sorry:

http://www.bikeradar...ng-glove-36184/

Edited by muddy, 04 December 2014 - 02:34 pm.

#10 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:58 pm

that's what I use , but that's the bike laid up now , Monday morning and the rear stepped out on a roundabout , eek , and then on the way home there was an icy sheen to the road where the wind was whipping across the wet  road and over the years there has been a few accidents at the same place :good:

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:19 pm

My Oxford muffs only just go over the hand guards and foul the switchgear, sadly. Thrown to the back of the garage at the mo.

#12 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:15 am

muffs, heated grips, and a pair of thin thermal liners under a pair of pretty loose gauntlets I've found keeps the cold at bay for a good few hours in really ugly weather.

Edited by wigwamclan, 05 December 2014 - 06:17 am.

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy!

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:37 am

My Oxford muffs only just go over the hand guards and foul the switchgear, sadly. Thrown to the back of the garage at the mo.

Hence the need for a bit of fettling, but it's worthwhile.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:22 pm

I've got Richa Cold Protect at the mo and although they've kept me dry my fingers are numb to the point of white and on occasion painful!

I am very happy with the Richa gloves.
On Monday, a cold wind from the East was here.
Because it's been too cold without motorcycle.
I had hands in pockets.

Limbo

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#15 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:22 pm

I have Richa wind cuff gloves, hand guards and heated grips. The combination works well and the gloves have stayed water proof and warm in the worst rain that blighty could throw at them for 3 years now.
As I ride 450 miles every week you can imagine they have had some use too.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:51 pm

I am very happy with the Richa gloves.
On Monday, a cold wind from the East was here.
Because it's been too cold without motorcycle.

I had hands in pockets.

Limbo

Ah, yes. You can't beat a game of pocket billiards (taschenbillard) to keep warm, if you can find everthing :)

Edited by muddy, 06 December 2014 - 11:42 pm.

#17 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:46 am

I have Richa wind cuff gloves, hand guards and heated grips. The combination works well and the gloves have stayed water proof and warm in the worst rain that blighty could throw at them for 3 years now.
As I ride 450 miles every week you can imagine they have had some use too.

:good:

Nice one Celtic - I do similar mileage weekly, and those gloves look great.

Is the inner section that goes under the jacket thin...through the winter I ride with an ex-police hi-viz Goretex jacket, and the cuffs are "slim" so it's a nightmare getting gloves under the jacket, but these ones look great?!

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#18 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:21 pm

Had thinner but they're ok.

My Richa Jacket has very small cuffs but they go under with a little effort.

Edited by celticbiker, 08 December 2014 - 01:21 pm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#19 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:48 pm

Had thinner but they're ok.

My Richa Jacket has very small cuffs but they go under with a little effort.

:good:

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#20 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:13 am

my heated gerbings are nice and toasty but they live behind GS1150 guards and touratech extenders  (sorry Ivan, but BMW do make some good stuff) They are quite waterproof and warm warm warm. I use setting 3 on my dual controller for my hands and setting 1 for my feet when I've got my heated socks on unless it's really -10 cold.

The downside is that they are not cheap by time you have added a gerbing dual heat controller (you will want the socks too) but a pwm dc controller can be had very cheap off amazon which does the same job.

My brother did this and mounted a waterproof pot on the fairing with the pwm board mounted somewhere in a nice dry box. This is on a pan euro though so more places to hide stuff. The 3.5mm barrel plugs/sockets can also be got online so you can make up your own leads.

This is the sort of thing you need. The cable to the 'pot' can be easily made longer with a bit of screened three core.

http://www.amazon.co...1317453-4648917

My gloves are the T12's and came with a single heat controller and all the bits needed. The advantage of having the heat control on the fairing is that you can control the heat going along, it is continuously variable there are no 'steps'.

http://www.gerbing.e...de-handschoenen

Since I've had heated gloves and feet there is no pain from unfreezing hands and such, so cold weather no longer bothers me.

Edited by leehenty, 09 December 2014 - 01:26 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users