23 replies to this topic

#1 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:13 pm

Well it looks like we are getting the SCR950 after all.

Attached File  17_scr950_red_31.jpg   118.85KB   0 downloads

If I was asked to build a bike this would be it. Except for one thing!. Feckin tubed tyres.

Why are the bike manufacturers going backwards. Are they really that nostalgic  about blowouts.

I can understand this on a real adventure bike or motocrosser where you have to do your own tyre changes anywhere but really, this bike is about as off road capable as a Goldwing. Its belt drive would be shredded in hours & at £340 a belt I wouldn't want to be replacing many of them.

So I would welcome opinions for & against on tubed v tubeless tyres.

I would like to change my bike in spring & the way I feel at the mo my long distance rides are coming to an end.

This could be the bike I have been searching for. When I traded the bobber in I said to Ronnie at Ian Bells "if that engine was in a different package I wouldn't be sat here now"

Yamaha must have heard me :badgerrock:

Don't you think it looks like two XT500's in one frame :wub: 

Edited by TinTin, 05 October 2016 - 01:24 pm.

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:50 pm

Presumably tubed because it has spoked wheels?  You can get tubeless spoked wheels but I believe they're more expensive and heavier.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:09 pm

Would'nt worry about the belt drive to much Sam, stick a pair of the wifes old tights in ya pocket, was a good fan belt fix back in the day  :)

Nice bike though, could always swap the wheels out i spose.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:12 pm

Tubed tyres - maybe Yamaha are going to optionally fit 3.10 front and 4.25 rear K81's too..... :punishment:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:15 pm

Tubed tyres - maybe Yamaha are going to optionally fit 3.10 front and 4.25 rear K81's too..... :punishment:

Nah Avon SM's

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:30 pm

Yeah skid masters should make it perfect.

#7 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:25 pm

Would'nt worry about the belt drive to much Sam, stick a pair of the wifes old tights in ya pocket, was a good fan belt fix back in the day  :)

Nice bike though, could always swap the wheels out i spose.

Isn't that how he got into trouble the last time?

#8 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:59 pm

Best leave that one consigned to the history books Dances :blush2: . Anyway Cliff it was stockings not tights.

I digress. Back to the original question. Would anyone else on here be bothered about running tubed tyres.

I hated them as a youf. Always waiting for them to go pop. Two did.

But then I had to change loads of motocross ones so I am probably prejudice.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:57 pm

You're gonna need a centrestand and all the tools, spares and equipment for hoikin' the rear wheel out and repairing a puncture/replacing the toob. Then again, if you're only pootlin' local it shouldn't really be too much of a problem ? :unsure2:  Personally, I'd find it a right ball ache if I had to use tubed tyres, tubless are relatively easy to repair a puncture, once you know how to do 'em.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:55 pm

I still have the lift platform from the bobber but agree whole heartedly about the puncture bit. I dunno. Got all winter to think about it.
The triumph does it all but seems pointlessly having it if not touring any more.🏍

#11 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:02 pm

Like that. I think tubes are a lot better than they used to be, you can get heavy duty ones.

#12 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:13 pm

Really. I'll check that out. There are a lot of bikes with tubes these days. The Africa twin and the big bonnevilles for example. 👍

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:58 am

With tubes there are more possible ways of screwing up a tyre mount...

Bjørge

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:47 am

Don't think about fitting tubeless tyres to a tubed wheel to cut cost in the future - tubeless tyres have ribs inside which rub through the inner tube. Tubed tyres are smooth inside

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:58 am

Ooooohhhh - ribbed inside fnarr.

#16 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:30 am

Researched this one to the limit and I cant decide..

Will wait till feb & see the bike in the flesh so to speak. Someone up where I live has an Africa twin & he's not bothered.

We'll see. :unsure2: 

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:08 am

Think your over worrying it Sam, you've said longer trips are not really viable anymore fella, so in the event of a puncture cant you call your breakdown service and get schlepped to a garage or home were it can be sorted !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:25 am

Personally...

Yes the SCR950 looks very good. With the disclaimer: From far. Really far.

More show than go. The list is so long I'd walk away half way down the list. My problems with it: heavy, weak motor, crap suspension & brakes, ugly and featureless clock, lack of modern electronics, odd tyre dimension on TT rims. I like to go around corners and thus have the best tyres there is, don't want to be limited to a crap oem spec low cost/grip tyre. Want me to continue?

Sorry for being honest.

Edited by and30ers, 11 October 2016 - 11:26 am.

#19 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:24 pm

Each to their own. I recently rode a bike the press rave about and it felt like a plastic toy compared to the triumph but others obviously love it.
When I go in the garage Cliff the tiger is begging to go on a tour so aches n pains permitting might not call it a day yet. Although the g2g next year is on my doorstep🍰😄

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:02 pm

Do I need to pre-book my breakfast Sam ? :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users