#21 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:33 am

For me, digital photos.  In the old days you'd you'd shoot off a roll of two of 36 when you go on holiday, and then get them developed and put them in an album.  These days I'll take hundreds (most of them will be crap) on a week away.  I've got GB's of the things, and use them as screensaver as well as having a digital photo frame.

PC backs up to a NAS (WD Mybook), which I don't consider to be a proper backup as it's still vulnerable to fire/theft/flood/virus, and then I back up every so often to a USB hard drive that I store at work.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:49 pm

Data loss is significant in this day & age.

There are so many offerings for looking after your data.

Start with the basic 3-2-1 rule of thumb.

https://www.backblaz...ackup-strategy/

If you have Amazon Prime then their Cloud Storage is good for photos (unlimtied), but has a limit on files.

It really comes down to the amount of data, and it's important.

Personally I have all the families digital photos in 5 locations...2 at home, then 3 separate cloud providers.

I don't care if I lose music or movies downloaded, but I've been taking digitial photos for at least the last 13yrs, and lossing those and the memories they contain (children growing up, friends birthdays weddings etc) would be a significant loss - irreplaceable.

Dpending on how techy you are Amazon Glacier is a good choice for "long term" archive.  Google Drive isn't bad, pricing is fair, but there are others...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:59 pm

All these home servers and dedicated hard drives makes me wonder what files are that large, numerous or important to save in a domestic household. Gil - Scot Heron was wrong, everything gets bleedin televised

I'm a keen photographer, RAW files ar 27MB each.

I took 800 shots at a friends recent wedding, thats 2GB.... Then there's the edited versions to store too.

I can take between 5000 and 50000 shots a year....

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#24 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:07 pm

I have moved away from Raid to a 5 disk hot-swap Microsoft 2-way mirror storage space pool in my local server. Probably not the best technology but good enough and easy to expand when needed. I then use a Seagate 2.5" 2TB USB3 backup drive that I keep in my fire-resistant safe.

Storage.PNG

Backup.jpg

#25 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:44 pm

All these home servers and dedicated hard drives makes me wonder what files are that large, numerous or important to save in a domestic household. Gil - Scot Heron was wrong, everything gets bleedin televised

A few hundred gb of music, movies, 20 years of digital photos, source copies of applications paid for and downloaded, shall I carry on?

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users