13 replies to this topic

#1 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:07 pm

Go to my website Here and then click on BSB Snetterton to see My cool pic's good.gif Not that I've got a big head or anything blush.gif

Let me know what you think as I'm considering buying a expensive camera and trying it for a living unsure.gif

Oh Thanks to HallRob because without him I would have had to pay to get in and I don't like doing that!! Thanks Mate good.gif

Hope you enjoyed the drinks.gif

Edited by Jolly Giant, 15 June 2008 - 09:15 pm.

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#2 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:40 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sun 15th Jun 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me know what you think as I'm considering buying a expensive camera and trying it for a living unsure.gif

Do you want constructive criticism ?

most of your shots are freezing the action, rather than portraying the speed by blurring the background.

if you want to blurr the background and achieve the motion in the picture you have to learn panning and shooting at low shutter speeds (takes a lot of getting used too) but the results are far more spectacular.

don't knoow what you used for the pics , perhaps it was a little snappy cam and if so you did very well, i notice your at the relatively slower part of the circuit tongue.gif laugh.gif

there are lot's and lots of people circuit shooting , and trackday shooting, if your after making money out of it you will find it hard, unless you can find a niche or be the only one at a particular track.

hope i haven't put a block on your project blink.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#3 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:13 pm

Ooh may I'm not as good as I think hidden.gif

I've spent years panning and trying to freeze the action and get full frame shots with still wheels,chains and today I succeded to freezing the holes in the brake discs and all along I should have been trying to blur the grass!!! hidden.gif

About 3 yrs ago I got shot of my 35mm SLR (Too big and bulky) and bought a £400 6 megapixel Olympus with 10X Optical and 3X Digi zoom...Then all Digi SLR were £1000+ and thought I try this.. with varying results sometimes the depth of field isnt too good but you have to compromise.....

Maybe I'll have to invest in a huge Digi SLR and play some more....

Thanks

I'm now a carbon whore!

#4 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:34 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sun 15th Jun 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh may I'm not as good as I think hidden.gif

I've spent years panning and trying to freeze the action and get full frame shots with still wheels,chains and today I succeded to freezing the holes in the brake discs and all along I should have been trying to blur the grass!!! hidden.gif

About 3 yrs ago I got shot of my 35mm SLR (Too big and bulky) and bought a £400 6 megapixel Olympus with 10X Optical and 3X Digi zoom...Then all Digi SLR were £1000+ and thought I try this.. with varying results sometimes the depth of field isnt too good but you have to compromise.....

Maybe I'll have to invest in a huge Digi SLR and play some more....

Thanks

Hey it's just my opinion and I am no eggspurt rolleyes.gif

i like to see clear shots of the bikes but with blurred wheels and background it just gives that impression of speed that a frozen shot does not.

for the camera you used you have some pretty decent pictures there. good.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#5 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:37 am

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Sun 15th Jun 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey it's just my opinion and I am no eggspurt rolleyes.gif
i like to see clear shots of the bikes but with blurred wheels and background it just gives that impression of speed that a frozen shot does not.
for the camera you used you have some pretty decent pictures there. good.gif

No thats fine all clickers should be able to handle criticism, Wether its over exposure or shutter speed as they are hard to balance when taking action shots! As you know from your own pictures,Exposure is the key.

I have another web site of holidays and other days out.

See what you think of These.

I'm now a carbon whore!

#6 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:11 am

Hi
Nice shots but you need to learn to pan (as others have said) best to shoot at about a 1/60 of a sec start paning with the action then as the object is in line with you take the shot but keep moving with the object this will give you the speed you want to show.

You should be able to do this with the kit you have as long as it has a M (manual setting) or shutter priorty.

making money in photography aint easy belive me if you charge £200 for somthing someone else will charge £75 quid for the same thing and people dont get that some times you have to spend to get you result you want.

I head story at a lab once a bride and a big wedding fairy tale type of thing spent £1200. on a cake and £200. on photography guess what she did not get a pic of.................

steve
keep it up you have a good eye and are lucky to be able to get close to the rides in the pits use this as you angle for somthing differant!
Mad Dog<br /><a href="http://www.stevetredgett.co.uk"target="_blank">Steve Tredgett Photography</a><br />

#7 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:39 pm

QUOTE(mad dog @ Mon 16th Jun 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I head story at a lab once a bride and a big wedding fairy tale type of thing spent £1200. on a cake and £200. on photography guess what she did not get a pic of.................

I see you do wedding pics too this mistake wasn't you by any chance rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

I have recently done my 1st wedding go Here to cast your eye over them. It was for a friend so there are some relaxed shot's too unsure.gif

And too make it clear I don't mind criticism but the person doing it has got be all round better than me and not in just one area because there's not much point getting the exposure, shutter speed and light right but having the subject a small dot in middle or cutting it in half good.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#8 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 933 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:04 pm

Everything they said.....to buy the pro kit is mega expensive. A Canon 1Ds Mk3 will rush you £4000 and a lens will cost another £1000 plus all the other bits and pieces.

I use a 2nd hand Canon 20D (£400 two years ago) and a 2nd hand Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens and 1.4x converter.(£400)

Here's a few of my shots.

I sold an A3 print of the Supermoto Berg to the rider for £30 which amounted to about £5 for me. Not going to feed the weans on that!

The last pic is Niall McKenzies boy Taylor racing at East Fortune last year.

Have a look at

http://photography-o...forum/index.php

There's loads of hints and advice on there and loads of amazing shots which are the standard you would have to aspire to if you wanted to make a living out of it.

Get yourself a dSLR , even a 2nd hand obsolete one like a 20D or 350D. Spend the serious money on the lens. You need at least a 400mm for motosport. My 200mm is far too short even with the converter.

Now : Nowt
Then : Yamaha TDM850 4TX , Suzuki GSF1200N Bandit , Yamaha TDM850 3VD , Yamaha 600 Fazer , Suzuki GSXR750G , Honda CB1100F , BMW R75/5 , Yamaha RD250E , Yamaha XS250 , Kawasaki Z250C , Lambretta GP150 , Vespa 150 Super

#9 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

• 933 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:10 pm

QUOTE(mad dog @ Mon 16th Jun 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
best to shoot at about a 1/60

That's pretty slow Mad dog , plenty of practice needed for that if you want a high percentage of keepers. I rarely drop below 1/80 because I can't get the results. I usualy stick to 1/100 or 1/125. You can still get motion blur at 1/250.

Then : Yamaha TDM850 4TX , Suzuki GSF1200N Bandit , Yamaha TDM850 3VD , Yamaha 600 Fazer , Suzuki GSXR750G , Honda CB1100F , BMW R75/5 , Yamaha RD250E , Yamaha XS250 , Kawasaki Z250C , Lambretta GP150 , Vespa 150 Super

#10 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:21 pm

I was opposite JG here are a couple of my better ones.

I think he is trying quite hard

They don't need to be moving to look good

I was trying to get panning right as well

One of JG's
This looks very nasty but he was completely unhurt when he woke up.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#11 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:17 pm

QUOTE(Hawmaw @ Mon 16th Jun 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's pretty slow Mad dog , plenty of practice needed for that if you want a high percentage of keepers. I rarely drop below 1/80 because I can't get the results. I usualy stick to 1/100 or 1/125. You can still get motion blur at 1/250.

Shutter speed depends on the focal length.

Rule of thumb:
Hand-held shutter speed is 1/focal length. 1/50th sec for a 50mm, 1/250th of a sec for a 250mm lens etc.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#12 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:36 am

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Mon 16th Jun 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see you do wedding pics too this mistake wasn't you by any chance rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

NO CHANCE

Nice wedding shots they look like they are having fun!!!

As for all the advice you getting, just find what works for you and go with it as long as your happy with the results thats what matters you have some great shots panning or not.

Motorsport is bloody hard to shoot so your doing somthing right

good.gif

md
Mad Dog<br /><a href="http://www.stevetredgett.co.uk"target="_blank">Steve Tredgett Photography</a><br />

#13 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:47 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that I bought a compact because I got fed up having to cart the huge SLR and 28-300mm lens around on days out so bought a good compact!!

Guess I have just found the limitations of it and will have to buy another SLR unsure.gif

But I'm sure if you look at my other website you will appreciate my clicking good.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#14 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

• 933 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:51 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 16th Jun 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shutter speed depends on the focal length.

Rule of thumb:
Hand-held shutter speed is 1/focal length. 1/50th sec for a 50mm, 1/250th of a sec for a 250mm lens etc.

Thomas , that's true if you're shooting things that are static or slow moving. If you want to give the impression of speed you need to get it right down and develop a smooth panning technique. 1/125 at 300mm is the norm for me. Some shoot at 1/80 at 300mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users