#61 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:58 am

Just think Studs, you'll have all the time in the world to fix the gear box now on the auld one  :D

I'll believe that when I see it  :rotflmmfao:

Did Wicky have a spare gearbox in his collection of bits?  Although when I thought about doing it the biggest cost was the gaskets. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#62 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:02 pm

I have plenty of grrr box bits. As ewe say the main cost is in time/gaskets.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#63 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 November 2022 - 10:03 am

Look forward to meeting up with you in the summer Studders, you on day and me on No7.

Sounds like a plan Alun :good:

Just think Studs, you'll have all the time in the world to fix the gear box now on the auld one  :D

Unfortunately, the old one will be moved on as I plan on replacing it with a 9'er. :D  I've got a spare gearbox for it, somewhere.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#64 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 November 2022 - 12:02 pm

Joining the pink side again then Studley? , get a niner save the mk1 for special occasions ?

Edited by leehenty, 29 November 2022 - 12:02 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#65 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 01:49 pm

I reckon it's the start of his TDM shed museum.

(ノ^_^)ノ

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#66 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:44 pm

So he needs Mk2a to complete the set
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#67 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:27 pm

And so it begins, Sidey 2  :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#68 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 06:00 pm

Joining the pink side again then Studley? , get a niner save the mk1 for special occasions ?

Looks like it Lee. :blush2: Yes, Meoff will be for dry days. :)

I reckon it's the start of his TDM shed museum.

(ノ ^_^)ノ

Hmmm, I'll prolly stick with 2 TDM's, but ya never know.

And so it begins, Sidey 2  :lol:

:lol: I roh rink roh ! 3, maybe 4, don't have the room or deep enough pockets. :lol:

Made a start on de-rusting the fuel tank.  Watched a few oohtoob vids and decided to try Electrolysis :evillaff: Using Sodium Carbonate.  Unfortunately, it's not easy to get hold of but, one can heat up Bicarbonate of Soda to around 200C and it'll turn into Sodium Carbonate. Weird watching it happen as the powder bubbles.  I've got a battery charger, 12V 6Amps RMS which can be connected straight to the Anode and Cathode. :)  The voltage sensing automatic chargers also require a battery to be used.

Ken was right, the tank is very rusty inside

Attached File  20221128_121820.jpg   95KB   0 downloads

I bought some steel bar to use as the Anode and got to work.

Attached File  20221129_094213.jpg   131.85KB   0 downloads

It soon became apparent that my charger wasn't that powerful and it was going to take a long time to do.

Attached File  20221129_094229.jpg   83.27KB   0 downloads

48 hrs, and a couple of Anode cleans and it's looking better :)

Attached File  20221130_135857.jpg   105.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20221130_135918.jpg   117.67KB   0 downloads

But still more to do.  I then used some small pebbles and shook them around for a while, took fookin ages to retrieve them. :rolleyes:  It helped a bit.  2 days of more electrolysis and the tank is virtually rust free, just a stubborn patch and some running along the seams to remove.  I might bite the bullet and get me a 24v charger, it'll come in handy.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#69 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,357 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 December 2022 - 06:17 pm

Neat trick! :good:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#70 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 06:35 pm

Looks a lot betterer that. Seems you have the knack sorted but if not i know electrical dept does this often and also nickel plating.

#71 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:29 am

Sodium carbonate is washing soda, I use it to clean up after anodising making sure any acid drip's are neutralised. Less vigorous than sodium hydroxide. That's a neat solution, are you going to seal the tank ? If so try Frost Auto restoration they do kits. May I suggest a variable power supply so you can limit current to whatever you want. Modern switching mode kit is quite reasonable these days.

Edited by leehenty, 08 December 2022 - 09:31 am.

#72 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:57 pm

Looks a lot betterer that. Seems you have the knack sorted but if not i know electrical dept does this often and also nickel plating.

Just winging it really :lol:

Sodium carbonate is washing soda, I use it to clean up after anodising making sure any acid drip's are neutralised. Less vigorous than sodium hydroxide. That's a neat solution, are you going to seal the tank ? If so try Frost Auto restoration they do kits. May I suggest a variable power supply so you can limit current to whatever you want. Modern switching mode kit is quite reasonable these days.

You mean summat loike this Lee ?  https://cpc.farnell....able/dp/IN08000

Should I be going for more Volts or more Amps to remove the rust quicker ?

I think this tank won't need sealing but the XJ650 one prolly will.  Thanks for the recommendation. :good:

#73 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:38 pm

More amps as surfaces area of tank is large.

#74 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:57 pm

https://www.ebay.co....tm/282638602384

#75 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:26 pm

Perfect :good:   Early xmas pressy for me :D

#76 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 06:52 pm

There will come a point when the resistance at the other electrode will become a function of surface area so currents will stay the same no matter the voltage. Anodising it does this as the hydroxide layer builds

Edited by leehenty, 11 December 2022 - 07:04 pm.

#77 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:05 pm

Using my battery charger, I noticed the amps drop as the sacrificial anode builds up with rust.  A good clean and the amps increase. After 4 or 5 sessions, when there's very little rust remaining in the tank, the amps are much lower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users