27 replies to this topic

#21 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:07 pm

Right, I bought the bits a while ago but only got the time to start fiddling about in the garage again today and I`m back to having a brain fart with this front sprocket malarky.

Before I go into a long description, could somebody tell me....... once fitted and done up, should there be any side play on the front sprocket or should it be nailed up tight against backstop on the shaft??

#22 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:16 pm

Shouldn't be rattling from side to side, should be solid or it'll bugger the spline up.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#23 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:51 pm

What sprock ya got?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#24 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 07:47 pm

Shouldn't be rattling from side to side, should be solid or it'll bugger the spline up.

Thanks

What sprock ya got?

I ordered a C&S kit from M&P it came with a DID chain and JT sprockets. I ask because I also ordered genuine Yam nut and lock washer. Chain isn`t on yet so not torqued up but I did the nut up by hand until it stopped and there seems a fair bit of play. There could be some muck in the threads I suppose so I`ll double check that. Another reason for the Q is that the new Yam nut is approx 9mm thick with a recess depth of about 2.7mm and the one that was loose in the casing that came with the bike is around 12mm thick with a recess of about 3.8mm. Any guesses if that`s a 4TX nut or off a different bike altogether???

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 January 2023 - 04:43 pm

Most owners with a mk1 stay away from the JT front sprocket. Done up tight with the recess pointing in the right direction, there should be zero movement.  Did you try fitting the nut that came with the bike ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#26 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 05:45 pm

The kit I ordered from M&P was branded as DID, I didn`t know I was going to get JT sprockets.  I got round to it yesterday and as it turns out, there was a bit of muck in the thread which I managed to clear and with the new OEM nut done up there seems to be zero play there now. I made sure that I`ve nailed the tab washer down good n proper as well so, fingers crossed, it`ll all be ok. Master cylinder rebuild is next on the llst.

#27 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 January 2023 - 06:55 pm

Nailing the tab doon won't do it. If you have a mk1 it'll need loctite hawaii 5 O

JT inner splines are finely crafted with a jelly spoon to make sure they are the worse possible fit to the output shaft profile. Responsible for sooooo many mk1 deaths. If ewe have a mk2 ewe may or may not be ok.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:45 pm

There are 2 thicknesses of 850 front sprockets. As I found out trying to fugure out why there was no room for my lockwasher too.
I cant help with part numbers, but ordering the right sprocket for the year was best. My problem was caused I fitted a later year output shaft to an earlier engine.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users