9 replies to this topic

#1 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:50 am

Called the local Yamaha dealer to ask about dropping off front caliper for rebuild from my '92.

Service Dept: "never heard of the TDM".

Pressing on regardless, my local Kawasaki dealer rebuilt the caliper for me.

I had purchased pistons, seals, etc., already.

(Same dealer that did the top end rebuild and the bulk of the rest of the restoration.)

So, my Kawaski dealer is very familiar with the TDM, but the Yamaha dealer, not.

last word: My TDM had a Micron 2-1 exhaust.

Can was junk but header ok.

Kept the header and welded on the factory muffler from an 06 ZX14 Kawasaki. 

my TDM is happy but confused. 

and fast.

Attached Files

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 November 2022 - 03:26 pm

Duh? The TDM is Yamaha bike sounds like dealership didn't want the job
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 01:38 pm

guy on the phone was probably 17 year old YTS.

Woah thats a long un youve got there fnarr fnarr

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:02 pm

guy on the phone was probably 17 year old YTS.

Woah thats a long un youve got there fnarr fnarr

Showing yer age Laaaaaad - YTS stopped in 1988  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:55 pm

sorry, what I meant was outreach support for workshy millenial snowflakes with over developed thumbs and broken necks

#6 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 November 2022 - 02:15 pm

sorry, what I meant was outreach support for workshy millenial snowflakes with over developed thumbs and broken necks

:lol:  :lol:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#7 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 December 2022 - 03:36 pm

rode the 3VD to the dealer to show him what a TDM is

Introduced myself to the service mgr

he worked there since '93 and did recall the TDM after all

He didn't seem to understand why I'd wanted to restore it

#8 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 January 2023 - 01:22 pm

Yeah I know the experience. Some dealers just want to do quick oil changes and sell new bikes. I don't go there any more, after having my bikes called "old junk" which they say they cannot get parts for..

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 04:31 pm

Old junk it's certainly not
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:57 pm

Took mine in for a WoF (MoT) recently. The guy who does the testing took it for a quick spin, to check brakes and suspenders, came back shaking his head.

"Oh know' say's I. He proceeded to do a few laps round the bike and asked the question - "What is it?" Turns out he was very impressed and put his hand up to buy it if I sell.

He said it feels like Yamaha have managed to make a Swiss Army knife, lots of bikes in one.

Nailed it.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users