#21 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:18 pm

At least the Japanese aren't as bad as the Italians for designing bikes. All their's seem to be made for people with long arms and disproportionately short legs!

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:45 pm

Maybe it was due to all that flooding that happened back in the 30's. :P

Some bikes have height adjustable seats, not sure if the versys 1000 has one. :unsure2:   Wonder why the Japanese don't build bikes for short arses ?

Yes you're right, Dutch have incredibly long necks to keep their head over the water :)  :rotflmmfao:

I was wondering about the Japanese thing too.... are the Japanese not fond of big adventure bikes perhaps ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:58 pm

I'm not as short in the leg as you.....Short ars

Now you are dreaming boyo,

remember when you bought these?

they still had to whip a couple of inches of for ya cooooonty

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:27 pm

:lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:33 am

He's prolly gone up a waist size or 2 by now :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#26 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:09 pm

There's a lot of tall people about.

If you sell a bike in the Netherlands, who happen to be the tallest people in Europe, and you have to sell the same bike in Scotland, where the shortest people in Europe live, then I guess you pick the height where most of the sales will be (and not forgetting other countries too). Belgians have got pretty tall recently too !

What's amazing is that 100 years ago the Dutch were the shortest people in Europe.

Evolution fixit....to keep their heads above water come the rising seas ;)

Evolution fixit....to keep their heads above water come the rising seas ;)

Doh! Missed your post...

#27 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:15 pm

Yes and I missed that Tvat from Notts post............Kettle pot black Coont :D

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#28 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:24 am

I would just like to mention that shorts are inappropriate attire for adventure riding.

Just sayin, pass me my coat.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#29 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:53 am

:lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#30 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:25 pm

I would just like to mention that shorts are inappropriate attire for adventure riding.

Just sayin, pass me my coat.

But shorts to you are long pants for Billy, soz I mean jono :P

#31 shadowjack

shadowjack

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:29 pm

Well, I'm still here and check in from time to time: for several years I was the happy owner of a 96 4TX, which in late 2014 I swapped for a used but pristine DR650. When rumours of the T700 came out, I thought that keeping the DR650 would be a good thing until the appearance of the Yamaha - fair to say I missed the TDM. You know what they say about Plans. I'm all about learning new stuff and this year, I learned to count in baseDR650 - you know: 1, 2, 4, 5. That's right, 3 went missing, well, not missing so much as relocated - to the bottom of the sump. I've never before  had an engine instantaneously and catastrophically destroy itself - quite the formative experience!

Needing a quick replacement for the commute and all the other stuff, I acquired a new DL650, which has proved to be quite similar to the TDM850/900, but perhaps without quite so much power/torque, has similar comfort, and has (reputedly) similar (very good) reliability and longevity. The point, Mr Yamaha, is that a little less talk and perhaps a little faster action in getting the thing to market would have most likely got a sale...

#32 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:00 pm

Well, I'm still here and check in from time to time: for several years I was the happy owner of a 96 4TX, which in late 2014 I swapped for a used but pristine DR650. When rumours of the T700 came out, I thought that keeping the DR650 would be a good thing until the appearance of the Yamaha - fair to say I missed the TDM. You know what they say about Plans. I'm all about learning new stuff and this year, I learned to count in baseDR650 - you know: 1, 2, 4, 5. That's right, 3 went missing, well, not missing so much as relocated - to the bottom of the sump. I've never before  had an engine instantaneously and catastrophically destroy itself - quite the formative experience!

Needing a quick replacement for the commute and all the other stuff, I acquired a new DL650, which has proved to be quite similar to the TDM850/900, but perhaps without quite so much power/torque, has similar comfort, and has (reputedly) similar (very good) reliability and longevity. The point, Mr Yamaha, is that a little less talk and perhaps a little faster action in getting the thing to market would have most likely got a sale...

Kia ora D, long time no korero. Sorry to hear about your DR going terminal! I hope you came to a controlled stop.

Yeah, the War and Peace of motorcycle releases. I've been too busy to ride much the last couple of years, but the T7 release is in alignment with my finances and free time increasing. I'm not an early adopter anyway, so low k's, one vertically challenged owner, light scuffs on one side, pre loved T7, was always on the cards regardless. Things are so bad here riding wise that the new rear tyre fitted 3 months ago still has it's little hairy bits. Oh, the shame!

I did harbour the idea of finding a bigger tank for my CRM and tourifying it. That was after a few beers and when it tried to spit me off the next day the idea was filed.

How's the trouts?

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#33 shadowjack

shadowjack

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:32 pm

It was a controlled stop, and I guessed what it was immediately - further work confirmed it not to be worth fixing.

Life over the last few of years means the trooties have been almost unmolested. Been a bit busy with house project(s), children's weddings, and stuff.

Recently did a TT2000 training run on the Strom over Arthurs Pass - Lake Brunner - Lewis Pass - Hanmer and home. Revealed a few ergo issues that need addressing, but overall, the bike performed well - and obviously streets ahead of the DR.  Very TDM-like, with probably more easily available dealer and after-market support, at least in this part of the world.

#34 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:47 pm

It was a controlled stop, and I guessed what it was immediately - further work confirmed it not to be worth fixing.

Life over the last few of years means the trooties have been almost unmolested. Been a bit busy with house project(s), children's weddings, and stuff.

Recently did a TT2000 training run on the Strom over Arthurs Pass - Lake Brunner - Lewis Pass - Hanmer and home. Revealed a few ergo issues that need addressing, but overall, the bike performed well - and obviously streets ahead of the DR.  Very TDM-like, with probably more easily available dealer and after-market support, at least in this part of the world.

Any dealer support has to be better than "Whats that?", the standard reply from Yamaha NZ when I try to get bits for the TDM.

Yeah, bloody projects. I'm tied in a similar situation.

All the best!

#35 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:14 pm

Yamaha might still have a chance to sell a few Tens. According to Visordown the KTM 790 Adventures are going to cost a whopping £11 and 12k. Not only uaf but also greedily priced. Next!

Rob

#36 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:32 am

Yamaha might still have a chance to sell a few Tens. According to Visordown the KTM 790 Adventures are going to cost a whopping £11 and 12k. Not only uaf but also greedily priced. Next!

Rob

I always thought KTM's were overpriced and underdeveloped.

Now that I've got one (albeit a 22yr old one) all I can say is they're as developed as they need to be, the engineering is  as good as it needs to be, and then a bit more, but the ride is all about riding and enjoying it. The rear brake lever pivot is an industrial grade sealed ball bearing, and the control lever to the master cylinder which it operates is connected with a high grade aluminium rose joint. Bearings and rose joints instead of pressed bushes and plastic pushrod parts. Things like that make this engineer smile

All of the criticisms of the looks are valid, and no amount of stickers and extra screens can change it.

Yesterday I went on a run on mine (KTM 620 Duke) to see what the recently fitted Pirelli MT60RS tyres were like in the rain, riding with a friend on his Tiger 800XC up towards the Trossachs and back down through Aberfoyle and Stirling. It occured to me that the KTM is all about how it feels in your hands, because as my Tiger riding friend found out, in the wet, even on good tyres, his heavy bike and lazy geometry, wrapped up in a nice looking package with electronic everything struggled all the way on the twisties with unusual cambers.

And when I got home with my ugly looking bike that gave great feedback through the bars all the way, I looked at my rear tyre, which I've somehow managed  to get leaned over enough to get within 10mm of the edge in the pouring rain. Excellent tyres on a chassis which almost talks to you, containing an engine which is designed to push you as hard as it can (when asked) made me realise, that the looks are probably just an afterthought....the real dedication went into how it feels to ride, because the more you ride it the less time you have left over for being off it and actually looking at it !

The 790 is nicknamed 'The Scalpel' I won't be rushing out to buy one at it's current price but I might just go for a test ride, but these older 620 and 640 Dukes are getting cheap, and if you can live with the vibes make a superb second bike., The later 690 engine has balancer shafts making it much smoother, and only a couple of kg's more weight

I'm keeping a TDM900 as my long distance mile muncher and reliable predictable friend, but for all the extra joy you can hope to get from a modern bike i don't think there is anything out there which can do it  all and give a great ride when you want  it to (on minor roads at least) , You probably need a second bike for that.

If trends continue, and prices of slightly used (ex demo) KTMs fall like this 790 Duke ( https://www.ebay.co....AnCT:rk:42:pf:0)  Then I would expect to see some 790 Adventures with 2k miles coming in at very competitive prices within a year or two

Edited by fixitsan, 02 December 2018 - 11:23 am.

#37 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:49 pm

I'm keeping a TDM900 as my long distance mile muncher and reliable predictable friend, but for all the extra joy you can hope to get from a modern bike i don't think there is anything out there which can do it  all and give a great ride when you want  it to (on minor roads at least) , You probably need a second bike for that.

If trends continue, and prices of slightly used (ex demo) KTMs fall like this 790 Duke ( https://www.ebay.co....AnCT:rk:42:pf:0)  Then I would expect to see some 790 Adventures with 2k miles coming in at very competitive prices within a year or two

Interesting what you say about the KTM having good feel. That's what I found with lighter bikes, especially the Tracer 700--that I can feel what's going on underneath me, which inspires confidence. That's the problem I'm struggling with in lining up a new bike. I loved the capability of the TDM as a tourer, but it always felt a bit unwieldly handling wise and the front end felt remote. Most here don't seem to complain, so I guess it's just me. I'm attracted to the bigger bikes, such as the S10, as tourers because of the comfort, road presence and stability, but then I want to have better feedback and something that's manageable. Can't have my cake I suppose. The newer KTMs, especially the 790, have both the attributes I'm looking for: they're light (the Adventure with it's fuel pods will carry the weight low) and have all the fail-safe technology of traction control and cornering ABS. Sounds a bloody tempting package to me. 

In the end I have a bit of Jap bias and so it would be hard to buy the KTM 790 Adv over the Tenere 700. I just trust that Yamaha will build a bike that'll be super reliable and not give many problems and headaches. Not that I'm in a position to buy either right now, but I might in a couple of years.  

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#38 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:13 pm

Interesting what you say about the KTM having good feel. That's what I found with lighter bikes, especially the Tracer 700--that I can feel what's going on underneath me, which inspires confidence. That's the problem I'm struggling with in lining up a new bike. I loved the capability of the TDM as a tourer, but it always felt a bit unwieldly handling wise and the front end felt remote. Most here don't seem to complain, so I guess it's just me. I'm attracted to the bigger bikes, such as the S10, as tourers because of the comfort, road presence and stability, but then I want to have better feedback and something that's manageable. Can't have my cake I suppose. The newer KTMs, especially the 790, have both the attributes I'm looking for: they're light (the Adventure with it's fuel pods will carry the weight low) and have all the fail-safe technology of traction control and cornering ABS. Sounds a bloody tempting package to me. 

In the end I have a bit of Jap bias and so it would be hard to buy the KTM 790 Adv over the Tenere 700. I just trust that Yamaha will build a bike that'll be super reliable and not give many problems and headaches. Not that I'm in a position to buy either right now, but I might in a couple of years.  

Yes, the guy I was with yesterday says KTM = Known To Malfunction, and I hear reports of less reliability. They're a small company and the development cycle must get squeezed (due to costs)  so they do the best that they can, knowing what they know. Where as with Yamaha you know they have a big name to protect and will do everything they can not to release a bike which is problematic.

The MT-07 series is fabulous, I know  a lad who can tear up the tarmac with the big boys on his, he is only 8 stone too so maybe that helps ! What he loses on the straights he gets back in the bends, with his elbow on the floor. Scares the s**t out of me.

knowing the roads where you live, Len, I'ld find the TDM a handful all the time. My ride yesterday was on roads like that for 100miles, the 900 would have had a good workout for sure, but then so would I and then that takes a bit of the fun out of it.

I suppose like you say, it's the confidence you get with less weight which adds some more enjoyment to it.

Edited by fixitsan, 02 December 2018 - 11:40 pm.

#39 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:05 pm

My MT-07 is fab too. The worst feature is the cheap suspension which shows up if you are pushing it. Quite a few owners fit a different shock, and some new fork internals. I have not. I cannot say that there have been any serious faults with the bike on the US-based MT forum. A lot have flashed the ecu. Hardly any niggles. I keep coming across reports of KTM faults.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#40 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:42 pm

My MT-07 is fab too. The worst feature is the cheap suspension which shows up if you are pushing it. Quite a few owners fit a different shock, and some new fork internals. I have not. I cannot say that there have been any serious faults with the bike on the US-based MT forum. A lot have flashed the ecu. Hardly any niggles. I keep coming across reports of KTM faults.

I'ld heard the MT-07 gets much better (smoother throttle and more torque) with a remap,  And if they were cheaper I'ld be sniffing around them i think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users