Photo
- - - - -

No Sign Of The "tdm Replacement" At Intermot.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 EeeTea

EeeTea

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:29 pm

Humph.  I only signed back in because i was missing you all so much anticipation of a new TDM... as it happens, I'll have to wait anyway, as cash flow is a bit shite at the moment...and I suppose I'd better finish paying for the car first  :ambusy:

Did read that report on that Honda re-Vultus.  urgh.   But that French video Rallye was cool...might consider one of them  :dunno:

#22 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:14 pm

Link to the FJ-90 / TDM ?   http://www.autoevolu...icma-87859.html#

to quote the page .......

Yamaha has finished working on the new crossover machine they will introduce in early November at the EICMA, and someone uploaded the photos in a public section of their press website. While they’ve since been taken down, but you know how the Internet works… So they’re all over the wire.

Now, the new all-rounder bears the FJ-09 badge on its fairing, obviously as a name for the US market. However, the 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 brings looks which are similar to those of the TDM, and this makes us believe that Iwata will continue the family… even though with a bit of a name change.

Not called TDM ....... :punishment: 

2015-yamaha-fj-09-tdm-makes-appearance-m

What that bike needs is Panniers, then it would look   MINT !

Edited by Geordie Guy, 18 October 2014 - 03:18 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#23 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:23 pm

Bit of a name change ! :lol:

It's also got an extra cylinder. :um:

Looks good though. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#24 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:34 pm

Looks not too bad, apart from the cowling that follows the line of the radiator, but the sub frame looks a bit flimsy for luggage duties. Also I'd prefer it to be the MT07 engine, cos I just like twins. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#25 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:05 pm

Don't look to easy to get a top box on either, but does look very good.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#26 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:59 pm

Like it  :good:

bbbuuuuuuuuuuuuut

the pic's on this link,   http://www.nieuwsmot...maha-mt-09.html

make me feel like wind blast/noise may be an issue again, screen looks small and weeedy :rant:

#27 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:12 am

Looks not too bad, apart from the cowling that follows the line of the radiator, but the sub frame looks a bit flimsy for luggage duties. Also I'd prefer it to be the MT07 engine, cos I just like twins. 

If you look close, I actually think the bike comes with  a luggage mounting system (those bolts under the pillion seat).  So I assume the subframe is sufficent to hold luggage.

It may have three cylinders, but it sure seems like it is going for the same market the original TDM was going for:  a sub-litre, relatively light, long legged, sport(y) bike.  It certainly is my idea of the perfect sport tourer.  Too bad I already own a TDM. 

#28 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:23 am

Like it  :good:

bbbuuuuuuuuuuuuut

the pic's on this link,   http://www.nieuwsmot...maha-mt-09.html

make me feel like wind blast/noise may be an issue again, screen looks small and weeedy :rant:

Don't worry, there will be at least 5 companies that will make huge fugly billboards for it that you have to look "through" , and you'll only be able to ride it at night to keep from be embarrassed at ruining a good looking bike :rotflmmfao:  Might as well throw the fat ugly on the back since it'll be dark, maybe the neighbors won't see her or the huge screen. But if we're very lucky maybe one will make a well designed, small screen that doesn't buffet.....maybe. If you look at the side view the screen looks the perfect height, just above the bottom of the full face helmet, could be it's good to go OR could be the riders a 5 footer and a taller one is needed.

Edited by marrk_us, 19 October 2014 - 01:46 am.

#29 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:17 am

Looks nice, not sure about the screen or the rear end though.

All the computing power on board these days some bikes are going to be brighter than their riders'.
:-(

Edited by TDMick, 19 October 2014 - 09:19 am.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#30 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:27 am

Well, here it is, but it's not a TDM replacement, unless you're gonna replace your TDM with it :)

yamaha-tdm6_zps160422e1.jpg

source: http://www.nieuwsmot...maha-mt-09.html

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#31 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:07 am

Keep an open mind about the engine, I've had 3 twin cylinder bikes over the last 20 years, and still have the Guzzi. Bought a street triple a couple of months ago, and that engine is a beauty! Pulls top gear from under 30mph all the way to an indicated 130, a real grin maker. I'd still keep the twin if I could only have one bike though.
MotoGuzzi Norge 1200GT. for Euro touring
Triumph Street Triple. For those hooligan moments......
Beta Alp 200. For falling off In muddy bits.
I suffer from C.D.O. It's like O.C.D. but all the letters are in the correct order, just as they should be.

banner1.jpg

#32 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:09 am

Fj 09 / whatever.  Are those hard luggage mountings on the side rails?  The screen cut-aways might be to clear the bark-busters.  Looking forward to seeing one up close.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#33 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:55 pm

USD forks.......lick lick.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#34 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:13 pm

USD forks.......lick lick.

You mean proper, muck-proof forks like we had before they went USD in the early 70's?? That never did make any sense.

Edited by Pict, 19 October 2014 - 06:36 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#35 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:22 pm

Well, here it is, but it's not a TDM replacement, unless you're gonna replace your TDM with it
source: http://www.nieuwsmot...maha-mt-09.html

The overall strategy's got me confused - the blurb on the 2015 Super Tenere ES  reads like IT is set to cover all adventure bases, so is the "New TDM" going to be just a second-string little look-alike, seen as the poor boy's consolation?
Check the ES spec: "270 deg parallel twin, ceramic bores etc......" sounds familiar. Add shaft drive and all the clever new stuff and there's the real thrust and TDM successor., no?

Edited by Pict, 20 October 2014 - 06:14 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#36 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:24 pm

EDIT..........USD fork.....(welcome back).....lick lick....

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#37 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:36 pm

I would have to see this one in the flesh, undecided......could always have a go of yours Capn when ya get it  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#38 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:50 pm

Well normally I would refrain from saying 'I told you so' but on this occasion I'm going to indulge myself.

One year ago I TOLD YOU SO. :P

No one seemed all that interested back then in the the good old days but here's a recap of my post from 6/10/13

Well guys and gals, I have some news on this bike.

As most of you will know I have just bought Dandy's bike but before picking it up I called into my local dealers to get some new gear.

Whilst there I told them about my new steed and the reason the MT09 not worth considering being that it wouldn't suit my needs without weather protection.

I was then chastised for not having spoken to them first because.......

Early next year Yamaha are releasing the replacement for the TDM. Whilst this is official it is not yet public knowledge so please keep it under your helmet.

The replacement is actually a faired MT09 with different fuel maps and slightly taller gearing.

Apparently the frame of the current bike has all the mount points for the fairing if you know where to look.

You can find some artist renderings of a TDM/MT09 hybrid on the net and my source says that these are very close to the finished product.

Further more he also says this is just the beginning and there are plans for the MT marque to be a family affair.

He reckons that the faired model will come in at less than £7000 too.

Original post here

Ok the timing was out and we'll have to wait to see about price but still, I told you so. :oldgit:

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#39 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:54 pm

Long wait kidda....like the look of it tho.
I don't think the 900 looks too dated...till put beside this.
USD forks (did I say that already), bit of paint and discreeeet zorzts on the 9er would have saved Yamaha San a fortune.....oh and maybe a bit of a power and torque week (optional).!!

#40 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:56 pm

Hmm, looks very nice, can't wait to see specifications, seat height, tank size etc.  It seems there are some cam chain tensioner issues with the new triple motor though.  No doubt Yamaha will eventually get on top of the problem, but I won't be an early adopter. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users