5 replies to this topic

#1 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:22 pm

So, this weekend was do the valves on my commuter ER5 that I bought to enable re-beautification of my 850. Should be an easy job; tank off, un-clip throttle cables, take off thermostat housing,rocker cover off, adjust nice easy screw adjusting valves clearances, put it all back. A day at most taking it easy, done more complicated engines like this and love screw adjust valves despite the more frequent adjustment 'cos they're such a doddle to do.

All went well up until removing the thermostat housing, which looks like this...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3ce781e792

The two legs straddle the central cam chain and go down into the cylinder head and are totally stuck in place so the rocker cover can't be removed. Tried release agent, gentle(ish) tapping with a hammer, and eventually hooking a strap under it tying that to a roof beam and lifting the entire bike by the housing leaving it over night soaked in release agent. Nothing, didn't move a millimetre. I can't heat it in case the seals get wrecked and the corrosion cracks just enough to let fluid past but won't allow the pipes to come off. Thought about cutting but worried about getting swarf in the coolant system that'll knacker the pump at a later date.

I can normally see at least one way to sort a stuck something but I'm at a loss this time. On an easy job like this it's all the more frustrating.

Any bright ideas out there in Carpe land?
We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:33 pm

if water is out try spraying pipe freezer down the legs ? sort of shrink them out ?

Edited by leehenty, 10 November 2014 - 09:34 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:49 am

:wifgeni:

Looks like a pain of a job going off the length of the pipes.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:48 pm

Think I read on here somewhere a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid is about as good as it gets as far as release fluids go...when tested against the off-the-shelf stuff it was 25/30% more effective than the best of the rest.........maybe worth a shot.

Maybe mix it a little thin ( more acetone ) to start with to help it work its way into the rot. I tend towards Plusgas and get mixed results but it's the best off-the-shelf I've found.

Good luck 

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy!

#5 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:39 pm

I have pipe freezerizering stuff and plenty of acetone and transmission fluid so I'll give them a go, the only other option as suggested to me this evening is to dremel in a shallow slot and hit that with a chisel, cracking the metal rather than cutting so no swarf. The pipe does seem to go a long way into the head and due to the relatively low mileage will not have been removed in the 8 years the bikes been on the road. Common detail across lots of bikes and cars I've had and I've never had a problem before, first time for everything I suppose!
We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#6 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:44 pm

Kawasaki Forum, ER5 section???
Or a friendly dealer for advice.
1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users