19 replies to this topic

#1 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:55 pm

Ever have one of those weekends when everything just seems to go right  ?.... and more !

Well, my mate's just had one.

It started when the local Honda dealer phoned to tell him that his long awaited Africa Twin was ready for collection, so we headed on down there yesterday (Saturday) to pick it up. He had a good ride home and then,just as he got back, but not before he had chance to get the bike into his garage, it started to piss it down. He then went into the house..... only to find that the £20 e/w punt he'd had on the Grand National had come in at 50/1 ..... and netted him a cool £600 plus. We then made arrangements to head out for a ride the next day as it was looking good on the weather forecast - he had a new bike to play with and I've just fitted new chain and sprocks to my 900 which needed testing out - so the Lakes was earmarked... and it turned out to be a glorious day.

We set off early to miss the traffic and had wall to wall sunshine for the whole day....

Nbhb3PN.jpg

..... we took a route south of the Lakes on the A590 and round to the coast from Bootle to grab a lungful of sea air and then on to the A595 to Muncaster before turning inland roughly following La'al Ratty to the station cafe at Boot for lunch. From there we took the road over the Hardknott Pass, the steepest road in England,.....

yhLM5f3.jpg

..... before descending down to the really picturesque road that follows Cockley Beck and then on over Wrynose Pass (another steepy) eventually to pick up the easily missed turning on to Side Gates which took us past Blea Tarn and up to the cattle grid at the head of Langdale Valley to my favourite view in the Lakes... (which I successfully managed to NOT get a decent picture of, doh!)...

7lYogMN.jpg

....At this point we swapped bikes so I could try out this new 'wonder' bike from Honda - and a good bit of kit it is too. I took it through Langdale Valley and then on through Coniston to the Church House Inn at Torver before handing it back.

nOKOl69.jpg

We made our way home from there, a total round trip of 229 miles, and what a cracking day it was and a good prequel to our continental trip which is coming up in June

Dan 

Edited by tr7dan, 25 September 2016 - 04:01 am.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:03 pm

Great photos there. And you can't help thinking that the AT designers leaned heavily on the TDM for ideas. 

Were they similar in power characteristics? Only 100cc between them and both with 270 cranks, can't be too dissimilar. It would be great if we could get an in depth comparison

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:04 pm

great pics mate :good:  :good:

#4 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:30 pm

Great photos there. And you can't help thinking that the AT designers leaned heavily on the TDM for ideas. 

Were they similar in power characteristics? Only 100cc between them and both with 270 cranks, can't be too dissimilar. It would be great if we could get an in depth comparison

Cheers muddy,

surprisingly it did feel quite familiar when I first jumped on it. Obviously there's more power, but the biggest noticeable difference was the extra height and the high and wide bars made it feel 'spacious'. It's probably the only bike I would consider changing my 900 for if I was in the market for a change but I can't say the difference is so earth shatteringly large that I absolutely have to dash out and get one.

Not sure if I'm qualified to give an in-depth comparison - I guess the best way to compare is to do what my mate did and book a test ride - he's moved on from a 2003 niner (which he's now got up for sale) and he felt that the difference was worth shelling out for.

Dan 

#5 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:32 pm

Very nice looking bike.......that Tdm!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#6 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:38 am

Just goes to show the TDM looks good (and often better) in a my company. Great photos.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:19 am

Gotta say the AT shoots a great photo, in fact looks better than in the flesh, sat on one last Sunday but it's just not doing it for me, but riding one could change my opinion i guess.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:22 am

I like the free underseat dustbin you get with the AT (not) but no way would I go back to cleaning spoked wheels.  Not happenin'.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:17 am

the AT exhaust can seems a bit oversized, bike on the right in first pic is the best one, how much did he have to pay for the upgrade ?

Edit:

Just looked it up £10K+ I could buy two very decent tdm's for that.

Edited by leehenty, 11 April 2016 - 10:23 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:15 am

:yeahbaby:

#11 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:31 am

Just goes to show the TDM looks good (and often better) in a my company. Great photos.

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#12 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:43 am

Great photos and ride report.

I must agree. TDM still looks great in any company and has no off-road features which are wasted on me ... And many others I imagine.

P7

Keep music live!

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:33 am

Those photo's are worthy of a magazine slot, very nice indeed Dan.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:42 am

:wifgeni:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:56 pm

:yeahbaby:

Those photo's are worthy of a magazine slot, very nice indeed Dan.

:wifgeni:

Cheers guys, gotta say though, the stunning scenery, glorious weather and great bikes helped me out just a teensy bit....  :lol:

Great photos and ride report.

I must agree. TDM still looks great in any company and has no off-road features which are wasted on me ... And many others I imagine.

P7

Cheers Pete

have been much inspired by your recent trips including the Stelvio Pass from a couple of years back (which we copied and did last year). We've got the Black Forest and Hartz Mountains booked for June, how about you - where to this year ?

Also, do you ever get to the Stag on Chester Road at Walton ? Been working on a big house close by and the bricky tells me he fires up his uke on Tuesday nights at the jam sessions

Dan 

#16 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:34 pm

I think Honda are going to sell shed loads of ATs. The price is right compared to equivalent beemers, Super Tens, KTMs, etc. and it's lighter than all of them too - even lighter once you ditch the exhaust can for something more aesthetically pleasing.

Having had an RD07 AT (cracking bike) for the best part of ten years, I know plenty of people who'll take 'em off road. There's been constant pressure on Honda to reissue the bike since it was discontinued in 2003. Of course, the new AT owes very little to the original - it's a totally different bike - but, if I had the £10.5k to buy one I'd be at the local Honda dealer ordering mine tomorrow.

Still loving my TDMs though :)

Edited by Jim, 12 April 2016 - 08:37 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:52 pm

Since Yamaha missed the boat here, the S10 is too heavy, Honda will sell lots of these. Time will tell on longevity, so I'll look back in a few years when all the bugs have been ironed out. When eventually my TDM expires, I'll be so old only a Royal Enfield will do.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#18 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:54 pm

Got my decrepitude steed lined up and under wraps for when I can longer manage the TDM. The Honda Grom, every ol' git should have one.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#19 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:00 pm

Cheers guys, gotta say though, the stunning scenery, glorious weather and great bikes helped me out just a teensy bit....  :lol:

Cheers Pete

have been much inspired by your recent trips including the Stelvio Pass from a couple of years back (which we copied and did last year). We've got the Black Forest and Hartz Mountains booked for June, how about you - where to this year ?

Also, do you ever get to the Stag on Chester Road at Walton ? Been working on a big house close by and the bricky tells me he fires up his uke on Tuesday nights at the jam sessions

Dan 

Cheers Dan

2016 Tours so far are

- Germany tour including Black Forest and B500 again, but extended to 11 days total

- Picos and Pyrenees, 14 days,  with access by Santander ferry to save boring ride down France

Because of above I have been banned from Manx GP or TT this year for first year since 1994 ... oh dear

Never been to Stag at Walton but might be interested in jam sessions. Have just bought "guitalele" as well as Yamaha ATX Traveller to take on both above tours... see picture. They are both great fun!

P7

Attached Files

Keep music live!

#20 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:55 pm

Nice write up and pics Dan :good: Africa twin looks stonking!

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users