Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:50 am

:lol: 

Day 2 of our stay at Mick's place saw us heading towards the Med. and taking in the coastal road down to Portbou.  Stopping

off for a coffee along the way, before reaching the secluded bay of Portbau where we had lunch.

Attached File  7c.jpg   126.89KB   0 downloads

A steady meander back to Tautavel ensued where we showered and made our way down to Serge's. :)  Kym made the

mistake of asking for Aqua minerale in preference to Serge's offering of catalan wine. lol

Attached File  20160925_200710.jpg   127.8KB   0 downloads

Day 3, our last full day at chez Sidey, and Mick and Doddy had planned yet another amazing ride taking in the Gorges de

Galamus, the Barrage sur L'agly and Cucugnan.  Amazing roads and scenery greeted us at every bend. 

Attached File  20160925_130525.jpg   234.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20160925_123304.jpg   151.5KB   0 downloads

A great day out only slightly delayed by Kym's clutch cable giving up the ghost.  Fortunately, a spare cable was soon fitted

and we were able to enjoy the day.  Although Kym might have been having a hard day as the spare cable was very stiff to

operate.  An evening cleaning it up had it working as normal though.

Today we'd be heading North  up through the Parc Naturel Des Causses and past the Milau viaduct before heading East

over the Rhone to our stay for the night in Saint Pantaleons near Nyons.

Another awesome ride with dropjaw scenery and a mix of fast and sweeping to tight n twisty roads to enjoy.  An enjoyable

evening was spent at the Chambre D'Hotes, La Bastide Des Cedre, Saint Pantaleons with the host, a retired Belgian civil

servant, offered us nibbles and local wine in the garden of his traditional, but tastefully modernised hotel.

Attached File  20160927_074103.jpg   206.39KB   0 downloads

Today we headed south east towards our destination, Menton.  Only 10km from Monaco, but at an affordable price, the

hotel offered unbelievable views of the rugged mountains behind us, the sprawling metropolis nestled at the foothills and

the beaches and sea in front. 

Attached File  20160928_075842.jpg   150.06KB   0 downloads

Attached File  21.jpg   122.07KB   0 downloads

Very weird hotel, used to be the equivalent of the miners welfare before being converted into a hotel/apartment complex. 

Finding the place was a farce, no hotel signs, no-one answering the phone and a security gate stopping any access to it. 

Musta taken us 90 mins of pottering around the congested streets in 29C before we finally found it and got in there. 

Looked like we were the first guests ever to use it, no bar, no coffee, just some geezer taking the bookings. I spent the

evening chilling out whilst Mick, Doddy and Kym pootled down to the sea front to enjoy a meal and an 8euro beer.  The

morning after saw proper staff appearing and a decent buffet brekky laid on. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:44 pm

:lol: you have to love Serge's sense of humour.......brilliant write up Ian and pics, dont know how you remember everywhere you went..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#23 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:25 pm

Well, as you'll soon see Cliff, my memory is somewhat iffy and I'm using a google, satnav, photograph order combo to assist me. Taking a fookin' lifetime to get it in the right order I tells ya.  :rolleyes:

Ooops !!  On the route to Menton we crossed over to do the Col de la Bonnette.  The highest tarmac road in Europe. :) The hairpin climb up was a pretty steady affair as the road was wet, despite the sun shining.  Once at the summit you felt like you were on top of the world. It was 6C up there. 

Attached File  17.jpg   129.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  18.jpg   116.46KB   0 downloads

For anyone unlucky enough not to have done this climb, and to get a scale of things, the North climb is 15 miles long and the South side is 16 miles long.  It's also pretty narrow in places with no barriers to stop you yodelling yer way 2800m down to the bottom.  The descent saw us plunge into cloud and mist before hitting the sunshine just before we made a stop at the delightful Bousieyas gite for some well earned  lunch....and cake !

Attached File  19.jpg   208.5KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20.jpg   166.51KB   0 downloads

THEN.....we made our way to Menton. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:59 pm

From Menton we would be hitting part of the Route Nationale then onto on the E74 where we would tunnel our way and dip our toe in Italy before heading West to re-join the Route Nationale and onto our next stop........da da dahhh  Voreppe.  :evillaff:

The road out of Menton saw us twisting and climbing before we joined the E74.  We had a busy day riding today so not many photo ops of the scenery were available.  I think Kym has some video footage of the ride through the tunnel to Italy on hisFB page. 

10km of tunnel pops you out into Italy where we made a welcome break for an Italian coffee. 

Attached File  23.jpg   296.48KB   9 downloads

We then carried on through the Alps towards Barcelonette, a small town nestled in the foothills of the Alps.  Pizza and

coffee fuelled me up and we hit the road again.

Attached File  24.jpg   192.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  25.jpg   141.33KB   0 downloads

Visual highlight of the day was a stop at Port Saint-Pierre on the Lac de Serre, Poncon.

Attached File  26.jpg   166.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  27.jpg   174.65KB   0 downloads

Attached File  28.jpg   171.25KB   0 downloads

The roads had been amazing today and they continued to amaze us as we made our way over to......da da dahhh  Voreppe. :evillaff:

#25 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:38 pm

attachicon.gif23.jpg

Then some bugga had to spoil it all by parking a dirty old renault outside. :)

Great stuff SR.  :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#26 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:03 pm

Loving the RR Studley. It's been a 10 years since I was last biking in the areas you've been riding (Pyrenees/French Alps), I must get down there again. Did you do the graded loop to the highest point of Col de la Bonnette?

For anyone wanting to ride the high passes, I can highly recommend John Hermann's book 'Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Beyond'. My old copy is well thumbed and was very useful on my last Austria/Italy trip in 2012.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#27 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:08 pm

Great write up Studs.

Huge jet lag this end, while I'm trying to figure out how to get my 47 gig of 1 to 2 minute videos of the amazing countryside public for all the see.

Any suggestions welcome.

MB

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:50 am

Loving the RR Studley. It's been a 10 years since I was last biking in the areas you've been riding (Pyrenees/French Alps), I must get down there again. Did you do the graded loop to the highest point of Col de la Bonnette?

For anyone wanting to ride the high passes, I can highly recommend John Hermann's book 'Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Beyond'. My old copy is well thumbed and was very useful on my last Austria/Italy trip in 2012.

Ahh, the 'controversial' scenic loop.  No Jim, riding up the 16 miles with summer gloves and busting for a piss at the top had us all scurrying down the other side looking for warmth and sunshine. :lol:

#29 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:53 am

We stayed at the Alp Hotel in Voreppe, our budget hotel of the tour.  Slap bang opposite the train station and, despite the stunning backdrop, a rather dreary looking place with 90's decor in every room. 

Attached File  20160929_074558.jpg   135.67KB   0 downloads

We were greeted by a bunch of yoofs toking away on ganja as we booked in.  However, the bedding was clean, as was the shower room so we all freshened up looking forward to a beer.  Unfortunately, the bar had closed (6pm !) so we had no food or drink available. We chained our bikes together round the back of the Hotel and then, a quick google and Doddy found a restaurant nearby so off we set for a 1/4 mile stroll.  Upon arrival we found out the place had been booked by a private party and we couldn't get in.  Another stroll down the road saw us partaking of a Mcdonalds where we suffered cold fries and lukewarm burgers. 

We grabbed an early brekky the following morning and, leaving behind the glorious Alps, started heading for home.  Our next stop would be in Troyes some 300 miles North.  Gone were the mountains with their stunning vistas and in their place rolling countryside, jersey cows, grass and trees.  We made good progress and landed at the hotel ( Can't recall the name ) on a main strip in the centre of Troyes.  A modern hotel with all the mod cons, a bar, private underground parking and with a variety of local restaurants right on the doorstep.  Kym and myself availed ourselves with the offerings at the pizza parlour whilst Mick and Doddy opted for some Moroccan food across the road.

A good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast and we were ready for the 330 mile run to our final hotel 20 miles North of Abbeville and about 50 miles west of Calais.  Just pulling out of the underground carpark and Mick's rear tyre was flat. We pumped the tyre up and made our way to the fuel station where we spotted a tyre fitters.  Unfortunately, they only did car/van tyres so Mick and Doddy set about repairing the puncture and finding the nearest BMW dealer to take the bike to. A steady ride and hour or two later and we'd made the 40 mile detour to the dealer, only to find it had closed down.  However, the repair was holding up, we were running late, and we had to get to the hotel in time for the specially prepared 3 course meal.  A high speed run saw my fuel economy dropping to about 160 miles to reserve but it was worth the effort and we made it to our hotel, The Moulin de Tigny,

Attached File  29.jpg   244.86KB   0 downloads

just in time to get showered and relaxed before starting our meal.

This place really was the jewel in the crown of the hotels we'd enjoyed staying at.  A converted watermill with a crystal clean river flowing right beside it and we were the only guests. :)  We freshened up and convened in the bar area where our hosts, Sabine and Raymond's speciality was Trappist beer, hence the blurry photo. :D

Attached File  20160930_195751.jpg   108.99KB   0 downloads

Whilst preparing the meal Sabine, the boss in the kitchen, :) would occasionally turn up with a plate of nibbles.  The bacon wrapped around apricot was delicious, as were the salmon or chorizo chioux pastry medallions. anomnomnomnom !

Attached File  20160930_195647.jpg   104.37KB   0 downloads

The classic French cuisine 3 course meal was an experience I'll never forget.  Apart from the starter, which has totally escaped me. ooops !  I blame the 10% Trappist beer for that. Each course saw the opening of a suitable bottle of wine with the main course of foie gras with local grown spinach and errrr, mashed tatty's, a first for me and it was delicious, as was the wine. The dessert was a green tea errrrr, custard sprinkled with melted brown sugar, an anudder boddle of wine.  Finally, a cheese platter with 5 cheeses ranging from mild to 'oh my god I need a clothes peg now' an anudder boddle of wine, topped off the culinary experience.
Another Trappist beer and I was first to retire for the evening.

The following day saw us boarding the 12.35pm ferry to Dover, a time to reflect on the whole experience.

Attached File  20161001_131705.jpg   110.78KB   0 downloads

2 weeks in europe and only 3 hours of bad weather.  Until we got past London where the heavens opened.  My helmet kept letting in water and steaming up the visor so I had to keep stopping.  I finally landed at about 7.30pm.

Attached File  20161001_172246.jpg   115.75KB   0 downloads

The TDM's had performed admirably imho. The 8fiddly using a litre of oil in 5000 miles and the 9'er sipping a modest 200ml in 3000 miles.  No mechanical issues bar the broken clutch cable, although I wish I'd kept the original dog bones on the 9'er.  That said, it didn't stop me enjoying the rollercoaster tour.  Have to say, I was a little envious of Mick and Doddy's Gs's esp. the screen protection when cruising at 95mph and the ability to adjust the suspension whilst riding the bike. Doddy's Gs in particular had an impressive amount of low down grunt which saw him disappearing over the horizon on a few occasions.  But, hey ho, you get what you pay for and I couldn't think of a better bike, for the price I payed for the 9'er, to use. Capable, dependable, fun in the twisty's and frugal economy.

Attached File  20161004_114524.jpg   110.32KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20161004_114512.jpg   188.66KB   0 downloads

:D

#30 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:51 am

Just to add, there were A LOT of experiences, delights and photos that I couldn't possibly write about, (esp. the non-beer blonde ! :D ) it'd take me months.  Suffice to say, I hope you get a flavour of the tour from reading my ride report.  It was an amazing rollercoaster ride of mountains and gourmet food, wine and beer with great company just as Mick promised, and an experience I'll never forget for all the right reasons.  My first euro trip and it won't be my last. :)

The Hotel Les Brases on the Route Pyrinnees 260 in Spain looks like a good place to stay for a few days, amazing roads round there, maybe after doing the Picos again ?

#31 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:24 pm

Crackin write up matey, wished i had been around for the 2nd leg, twas great company indeed, Mick's already booking my space for the next one  :D might get me undies off him then  ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#32 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:50 pm

A great trip indeed. Glad it all came together lad. :good:

Are you changing your bike then.

Edited by TinTin, 07 October 2016 - 01:01 pm.

#33 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:50 pm

Cheers guys.  No plans for a bike change other than to sell the 9'er and use the mk1 for now Sam, despite the attempts by Mick and Doddy to convert me, and Cliff, to a GS. :lol:  However, if money was no object, it'd be a different story altogether. ;)

#34 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:35 pm

I can never put together a report like that, can't remember what happened yesterday.  :lol:

Well done for giving me a good taste of your trip. :clapping:  :clapping:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#35 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:42 pm

Good write up. Barcelonette-not been there since '79. Gotta say as a teenager on a motorcycle I loved the experience. Glad you did too .

Now is the time to plan for your LD medal. :)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#36 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:52 pm

LD meaning long distance Favs ? :unsure2:

#37 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:53 pm

LD meaning long distance Favs ? :unsure2:

:lol: Indeed, i think you left a good impression on favs oop in Yorkshire..

#38 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:59 pm

I made it around the 3000 mile mark ..........that not long distance ?

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#39 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:14 pm

I made it around the 3000 mile mark ..........that not long distance ?

Not for me - but a lot more than some do in a year :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#40 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:33 pm

Well, we normally do more on these 2 week trips .........but we had these TDM's tagging along  :P

...........and I had an 18 Stone pillion for almost 3 days !!

Edited by sidestand, 08 October 2016 - 08:36 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users