#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 August 2021 - 05:33 pm

My pal wanted a weekend away on the bike as a pillion so we decided on a 2 day trip, 1 day up to Inverness via some popular biking routes and back through the Cairngorms country park

The trip up was made great due to sunshine all the way, heading north west from Stirling, we turned off towards Aberfoyle to take int he Duke's Pass and rejoin the main road to Tyndrum, for lunch at the Green Welly (irresistible Cullen Skink) .

Bumped into an old pal in the carpark so that was an added bonus. We discussed suspension and how my bike's rear shock has almost died.

The rest of the day took us through Glencoe (via Glen Etive), where a blind pickup driver pulled out in front at the last second....... on to Fort William, then Fort Augustus. The Highlands had never looked better. We hit every swing bridge over the Caledonian Canal so there was a small traffic queue at each one, whcih made my pal laugh when we just overtook the lot of the cars and jumped to the front. Cheeky ;)

The bike was superb all day, the nearly worn Angel GT tyres were a difficult decision - change them for new ones before heading off, or rely on them being a known quantity, I chose the later, inflated the front to 34 and the rear to 38psi  and it turned out to be fine.

A night in Inverness with good food and local music, and a leisurely start at 9.30 heading south, with a fuel stop at Aviemore, where I met another old pal who was in Harley mode with his HOG chapter, and they had already made a plan which matched the first part of our trip so we tagged along behind as far as Tomintoul, where we parted company.

The next hour or two was spent riding through the ski resorts, and back into Perthshire, down through Perth and then Fife, avoiding the motorway.

As for the bike it couldn't have done better, not least of all considering we clocked over the 109,000 mile mark yesterday. ('02 bike on a '04 plate, TDM900)

I weigh 17 stone, my mate weighs about the same, and we had 2 Givi E21 panniers on, but, despite that, and despite the  '-1'  16 tooth front sprocket (superb mod for taking a pillion up hills) , and despite the remap and disablement of the overrun fuel cutoff, we've clocked 197 miles today since filling up in Aviemore, there's still 1 bar on the fuel meter so I reckon 220 miles would have been possible.so it's hard to fault fuel consumption........It definitely needs that new shock though

EDIT -just realised the low fuel  consumption I mentioned is arrived at through the  -1 front sprocket....1/17th overstated, or 6% overreading ...so my 220 mile estimate is probably actually 205 - 210 miles, on a standard sprocket.  Still happy with that !

Another surprise were the Cardo Scala Q1 intercoms. You can select different functions for audio, bluetooth music, mobile phone calls, and a rider  to passenger intercom function, as well as standby mode (in standby mode they can last for days i think)  They did over 5 hours each day (recharged overnight)  with the intercom permanently activated while we yacked in 'full duplex'. The in helmet speakers aren't too powerful so we used in-ear type headphones plugged into the socket for the helmet speakers.

Can't find faults with the TDM really, given it's age and mileage, Without question it's been the best value for money bike I've had

Edited by fixitsan, 29 August 2021 - 06:27 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 29 August 2021 - 06:52 pm

sounds like you had a great few days. weather is amazing atm as friends are on the NC500

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 07:33 am

sounds like you had a great few days. weather is amazing atm as friends are on the NC500

Saturday was full sun all day, warm all the way, even up through Glencoe.

Sunday was a bit overcast with a heavy dew in the morning, but by lunchtime the sun was out again and followed us home.

Probably couldn't have been luckier !

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 August 2021 - 07:48 am

Lubbly. What a noice ting to do for yer mate.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 01:05 pm

Lubbly. What a noice ting to do for yer mate.

He gets his last eye operation in a few weeks which will either stabilise things as they are, improve things slightly, or make it much worse. Rather him than me !

I just rode the bike, and drank the beer :)

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:05 pm

Nice trip. :good: Thanks for sharing.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:12 pm

3E1A2F0B00000578-4302072-image-m-2_14891

Of course, we took in Glen Etive

Edited by fixitsan, 30 August 2021 - 08:12 pm.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:37 pm

Rannoch Moor

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:51 pm

We discussed suspension and how my bike's rear shock has almost died.

I scrolled through the shed the other day to find all TDM-related stuff to go with the bike and found the old shock from Sidestand's 9er. It has made some 27k miles. I'd give it away if you cover the freight - some £40 or thereabout. Or do you want a proper shock, maybe? 😁
Bjørge

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:53 am

I scrolled through the shed the other day to find all TDM-related stuff to go with the bike and found the old shock from Sidestand's 9er. It has made some 27k miles. I'd give it away if you cover the freight - some £40 or thereabout. Or do you want a proper shock, maybe?

Thanks for the offer Bjorge, it's very generous of you. I had to have a think about it.

On one hand I fancy another bike, but on the other I wouldn't get very much money back for selling a 900 with 109,000 miles, and it's going well.

I don't want to spend much on suspension for such an old bike, but, I just fitted Bilstein shocks to my car (B6 front, B4 rear) and the difference is night and day, so I'm thinking I might invest in a decent rear shock to enjoy, and sell it on if I lose the bike for some reason.

Thanks again

Edited by fixitsan, 31 August 2021 - 09:33 am.

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 11:04 am

Thanks for the offer Bjorge, it's very generous of you. I had to have a think about it.

On one hand I fancy another bike, but on the other I wouldn't get very much money back for selling a 900 with 109,000 miles, and it's going well.

I don't want to spend much on suspension for such an old bike, but, I just fitted Bilstein shocks to my car (B6 front, B4 rear) and the difference is night and day, so I'm thinking I might invest in a decent rear shock to enjoy, and sell it on if I lose the bike for some reason.

Thanks again

I totally get it :) - the stock isn't exactly superb...

Bjørge

#12 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 04:37 pm

..but if anyone else would need it - you'd save it from the bin 😁
Bjørge

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 05:21 pm

..but if anyone else would need it - you'd save it from the bin

Why not put an advert in the for sale section ?

By the way have you any experience of YSS shocks ? They're the cheapest option at about £220, rising to about £450 for an Ohlins, with Bitubo and others in between

Spoilt for choice !

#14 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:31 am

Why not put an advert in the for sale section ?

By the way have you any experience of YSS shocks ? They're the cheapest option at about £220, rising to about £450 for an Ohlins, with Bitubo and others in between

Spoilt for choice !

No, haven't tried the YSS. Experience with Nitron, Wilbers and soon Ohlins  :P .

Will put it in For Sale!

Bjørge

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 12:57 am

No, haven't tried the YSS. Experience with Nitron, Wilbers and soon Ohlins  :P .

Will put it in For Sale!

I've been watching MT-09 shocks on ebay, they seem to be a perfect fit, however the spring needs to be increased in strength to suit the 900 due to the different setup.

The Ohlins  S46DR1 for the 900, costs a fair bit more than the S46DR1  for some other bikes, yet they're pretty much the same item , apart from spring rates, so I've found a couple of sellers who will change out the spring for free and still give the benefit of the lower price.

Need to wait for payday though, they're still spendy

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:17 am

I've been watching MT-09 shocks on ebay, they seem to be a perfect fit, however the spring needs to be increased in strength to suit the 900 due to the different setup.

The Ohlins  S46DR1 for the 900, costs a fair bit more than the S46DR1  for some other bikes, yet they're pretty much the same item , apart from spring rates, so I've found a couple of sellers who will change out the spring for free and still give the benefit of the lower price.

Need to wait for payday though, they're still spendy

I received a S46DR1S for the Tracer yesterday, really excited to see how it changes the feel of the bike. Also expect to reveal that front forks - although seemingly enhanced on this model - are not up there😐. I haven't found shim stack type valves fitting this model, only Ohlins cartridges which cost an arm and a leg.
Bjørge

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:15 pm

I received a S46DR1S for the Tracer yesterday, really excited to see how it changes the feel of the bike. Also expect to reveal that front forks - although seemingly enhanced on this model - are not up there. I haven't found shim stack type valves fitting this model, only Ohlins cartridges which cost an arm and a leg.

:good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users