Photo
- - - - -

Miserable Sods, Surely Not?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Acknowledged (68 member(s) have cast votes)

(choose the one you do the most) When on your bike and you spot another rider, do you normally

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:10 pm

Did my 300 mile commute on the bike yesterday evening/night. Passed 11 motorcycles travelling in the opposite direction & waved at all of them. Got 2 nods back, no waves and no other responses.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:25 pm

Always wave unless its really blowy and then a nod!

#3 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:40 pm

Young Man!  :blush2:

#4 BighugeMonkeysuit

BighugeMonkeysuit

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:19 am

I find there's like a five mile radius around london. Get outside it and you always get a nod at least. Within, everyone ignores you! I tend to nod. A guy on a gsx stuck his leg out to thanks the other day because I pulled in to let him pass me. Weirdo.

#5 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:05 am

Mr Monkeysuit, the leg sticky out thing is a euro biker "nod" they do it all the time in France, looks like it's made it's way over the briney !!! I'd say the GSX rider had possibly been touring in France or perhaps a race meet in Assen or Le Mans who knows.

I "nod" to other bikers but must admit the nod back it getting to be a rare thing, better start sticking my leg put then, oh well that progress I suppose !!

Edited by Gdog, 05 May 2013 - 05:41 am.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#6 biddle

biddle

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:04 am

Maybe you should practice doing the lot Nod/Wave/flash/legout at least you would get ther attention

#7 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:21 am

I usually give a wave or nod, mostly get one returned, although in the 80''s I seem to remember all returning. Mainly sports bike riders I find ignore you.  In France a couple of years ago did the leg thing & I think every biker did the same in return. Can't remember one that didn't initiate or return the greeting.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#8 Tatt

Tatt

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 55 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:18 am

Wave first then either a nod if to much traffic around and a flash if travelling a bit and the quick side.

#9 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:28 am

In France I noticed if the biker is coming towards you he/she takes the left hand just off the bars as a wave (dont forget you are on the opposite side of the road to blighty. If he/she overtakes you its the leg thingy. Very well thought out.

Read in MSL mag years ago a group of lads on a tour across the States were so pissed off with Harley riders not waving/nodding they stood on the pegs & saluted every time they saw one. (That really could backfire on you)

Personally I try to nod as often as poss but most Harley BM & lately Triumph riders dont bother.

Edited by yamahasam, 05 May 2013 - 01:22 pm.

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:07 am

Usually nod or give em a flash if getting a move on,,, mind,nods are so seldom returned these days think i wont bother anymore,,, unless of course it's a TDM an if it's a Niner defo a flash  :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:40 am

To be honest I normally go for flash button as a "Hi" but only because using the "wave" I think I look like a 1960's AA patrol man and the nod method looks like you've just sneezed in your lid !!!! So looks like foreign jonny has something in his/hers leg dangleing shenanaghans, perhaps time to adopt the euro greeting.  :unsure2:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:53 am

I always give a nod. Often find sportsbikes or Harleys ignore you. Reading above it sounds like you'll have to do the hokeey kokey in the future :P

#13 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18 am

I don't bother.

It's not because I'm a miserable sod.

It has more to do with the fact that my arm has dropped of waving to all my fellow road users travelling in the opposite direction on the M4.

I have to steer using my left hand and keep the throttle open with my teeth nowadays.

Then there's me feeling guilty about not waving to my "mates" who are travelling in the same direction as me.

That takes some critical manoeuvring and serious speed so that I can make sure they can see me.

Once or twice I've caught myself waving to a foreigner or paedo. I'd feel dirty for weeks afterward. No, not for me.

#14 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:52 am

Then there's the 50/50 chance that the oncoming biker is just as bad as the individuals that you have to deal with day to day just in order to get through life.

YOU'RE BLOODY WAVING TO THEM ON THE WEEKEND JUST TO MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES SO THAT THEY CAN FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES AGAIN ON MONDAY?

FT!

If the guy waving at me is the good natured sort I'm sure they understand why I don't wave back. Good for them!

Then again, if they're the like the knobs I have to deal with day in, day out, they'll take it personally and burst into flames when they get back home and sit down in front of the telly to watch X-Factor/Britains' Got Talent. Good for them!

#15 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:42 am

TYREDNGRUMPEE you don't happen to work on the Jeremy Kyle Show by any chance do you ????

Then there's the 50/50 chance that the oncoming biker is just as bad as the individuals that you have to deal with day to day just in order to get through life.

YOU'RE BLOODY WAVING TO THEM ON THE WEEKEND JUST TO MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES SO THAT THEY CAN FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES AGAIN ON MONDAY?

FT!

If the guy waving at me is the good natured sort I'm sure they understand why I don't wave back. Good for them!

Then again, if they're the like the knobs I have to deal with day in, day out, they'll take it personally and burst into flames when they get back home and sit down in front of the telly to watch X-Factor/Britains' Got Talent. Good for them!

Edited by Gdog, 05 May 2013 - 11:43 am.

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:44 am

Where I live, a nod, mostly because that's all most people give. In France, a wave or a leg. In general I'd say bikers in France are more friendly. I even wave to the cops there. Over here it's hit and miss. I've noticed that there are normally two types of biker that don't wave: sports bike riders, normally  the ones all kitted out and in black visors, etc.; the other, yes I'm gonna say it cos it's true, BMW riders, normally on new GS's. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#17 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:14 pm

I used to wave with both hands. When my bike is repaired I think I am going to nod or stick leg out.

#18 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:18 pm

I always nod and most times get the response. Not from Harleys , of course - especially when I am on my 'fake' Harley, Kymco....

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#19 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:36 pm

Meant to ask Favs If you are based in Durham & you do a 300 mile commute are you working in Lands end or John o Groats. :unsure2:

Surprised you didnt nod off. :P

#20 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:59 pm

Meant to ask Favs If you are based in Durham & you do a 300 mile commute are you working in Lands end or John o Groats. :unsure2:

Surprised you didnt nod off. :P

GF lives in Farnborough hence 300 each way.

Will be waving again as I travel back to Co. D. tomorrow.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users