#1 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:14 pm

I want to provide a permanently wired, ignition-switched feed for my TomTom Rider sat nav. Before I start ripping panels and tanks of in a frenzy, anyone done this before on a 900? Where’s the recommended place to pick up the feed? What connection type should I use? I hate those nasty ‘bullet’ connector things, would a soldered joint with heatshrink be a good idea (waterproof), or is that going to have vibration problems? All advice gratefully received.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:22 pm

can only comment on how i did my own. I soldered into the wiring to the rear light. reasons being, the wire lies flat along the rear side panel out of the rain. panel easier to get off than the nose fairing and both poss and neg wires available next to each other. can't remember the colours but could pop down and have a look if you want. have fun...it's worth it. (....if you got probs, wanna get up this way, will solder em for you.)
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:19 am

Thanks for that Techno, and your kind offer of help when I hash it up! sad.gif I guess that feed is only live when the lights are on? Not a problem as I always (when I remember) ride with the lights on. I'll have a dig around with the multimeter to identify which wires. There's a large lump of wiring harness behind the LHS side panel, anyone know if there's anything in there that's easier to connect to? I'm assuming here that running the feed to the rear light wires means the wire has to run the full length of the bike, entailing the removal the tank (which I've just filled up) and both side panels?

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#4 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:23 am

The live feed wire to the lights should be red and blue, earth will be black but double check with a meter. I would definitely recommend soldering and shrink fit tubing.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#5 seamus

seamus

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:35 pm

I put on a standard BMW socket from Wunderlich, on the dashboard side and ran a cable straight to the battery

Click hear and go to electrical accessories

http://www.wunderlic.....lich.co.uk%2F

The only problem was that it isn't a standard cigar lighter fitting, so I bought a male fitting and an extension lead from Maplins and swapped the fitting over. It's great though because it reaches all the way to the tank bag so everything covered for charging.

If you need some photos of the finished result, email me and i'll send some over.

http://www.carpe-tdm...&...ost&p=19564
http://www.youtube.com/seamus0sean

http://www.myspace.com/seamus0sean

CB100N>XS250 US Custom>CB550-4>SR650>CB200>Z1000J>15 year break>TDM900

#6 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:19 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Wed 31st Jan 2007, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that Techno, and your kind offer of help when I hash it up! sad.gif I guess that feed is only live when the lights are on? Not a problem as I always (when I remember) ride with the lights on. I'll have a dig around with the multimeter to identify which wires. There's a large lump of wiring harness behind the LHS side panel, anyone know if there's anything in there that's easier to connect to? I'm assuming here that running the feed to the rear light wires means the wire has to run the full length of the bike, entailing the removal the tank (which I've just filled up) and both side panels?

no probs. the rear light comes on with the ignition on my 900 anyway so never have to turn them on. Only problem would be if you connected to the brake light "live " in error ! I didn't remove tank. theres loads of space to tuck the wire away, and cable ties do the rest invisibly once the side panel is back on. The lump of wires looked just too tightly packed and permanent to disturb so I opted the easy route....have fun.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#7 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:55 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Tue 30th Jan 2007, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to provide a permanently wired, ignition-switched feed for my TomTom Rider sat nav. Before I start ripping panels and tanks of in a frenzy, anyone done this before on a 900? Where’s the recommended place to pick up the feed? What connection type should I use? I hate those nasty ‘bullet’ connector things, would a soldered joint with heatshrink be a good idea (waterproof), or is that going to have vibration problems? All advice gratefully received.

I spliced into the 12v feed to the dipped beam headlight for mine. Easy, quick and convenient and effective. Been working a treat ever since. Just make sure insulate any connections well to keep the weather out. I used electrical tape, again easy, quick and convenient and effective. good.gif
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users