20 replies to this topic

#1 Chris TDM

Chris TDM

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:22 am

as some of you might know i'm looking for a new bike, Mainly a large off road bike, along the lines of a ETV or Vstrom, But i've also been looking at a XTZ manly due to the fact i know the engine (being a smaller version of the TDM's) and the fact you don't see many of them around, But really i have a cople of questions which someone here might know.

1) I spend a lot of time 2up going to rallys so what is it like on room compared to the TDM
2) Can you get hard luggage
3) I know the Mk1 tdm and the TRX engines will fit but i hear the mk2 tdm's wont, is this true?
4) I'm 6 foot 4 tall am i gonna look silly?

Thanks

Ridgeway mcc

GSF400
ER500
TDM850
CBR1100xx

But only one working at a time!!

#2 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:19 am

QUOTE(Chris TDM @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as some of you might know i'm looking for a new bike, Mainly a large off road bike, along the lines of a ETV or Vstrom, But i've also been looking at a XTZ manly due to the fact i know the engine (being a smaller version of the TDM's) and the fact you don't see many of them around, But really i have a cople of questions which someone here might know.

1) I spend a lot of time 2up going to rallys so what is it like on room compared to the TDM
2) Can you get hard luggage
3) I know the Mk1 tdm and the TRX engines will fit but i hear the mk2 tdm's wont, is this true?
4) I'm 6 foot 4 tall am i gonna look silly?

Thanks

Tony devil should be back home later tonight, i would guess he can answer all your questions (apart from the height issues rotflmmfao.gif )

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#3 Spirit

Spirit

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:34 am

QUOTE(Chris TDM @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm 6 foot 4 tall am i gonna look silly?

I am as tall as you. Most bikes are minomotos when I sit on them. TDM, Tiger, V-strom looks OK though, but the Ténéré is a bit smaller.

However, I gave up on this issue and don't care anymore. If it feels OK, I drive it and don't care about what it looks like. So I simply suggest that you try it, and if you feel comfortable - just buy it. smile.gif
TDM 900 ABS - 2005 (Diamond Black/Gold) SOLD!!

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:27 pm

MKII and TRX enjun are the same so either will fit but you have to remove the piggy back oil tank (makes the enjun look like a V twin) thats bolted onto the crankcases and use the XTZ's oil tank instead.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:38 pm

....and a mk2 or TRX CDI

#6 Chris TDM

Chris TDM

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:06 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MKII and TRX enjun are the same so either will fit but you have to remove the piggy back oil tank (makes the enjun look like a V twin) thats bolted onto the crankcases and use the XTZ's oil tank instead.

thats handy to know, as i dont think i would get much for my Mk2 if i sold her or P/X it. I've seen a few XTZ's for sale for 1000-1500 with FSH, and looking quite mint. plus i saw one at the soggy moggy that had been resprayed FJR blue,it looked lovely, sadly the owner was never near his tent when i walked pass :/
Ridgeway mcc

GSF400
ER500
TDM850
CBR1100xx

#7 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:28 am

QUOTE(Chris TDM @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) I spend a lot of time 2up going to rallys so what is it like on room compared to the TDM almost the same, its a bench seat, pillion is same height, but its comfy
2) Can you get hard luggage givi do a top box rack, but panniers are a bit harder to get, i'll have some alloy ones made up when i stop breaking things on the tdm
3) I know the Mk1 tdm and the TRX engines will fit but i hear the mk2 tdm's wont, is this true? no, mk1(3VD) is a straight swap for the 3LD xtz motor, the mk2 4TX and TRX 4UN engines will fit, but require different electrics and oil filler thingy changes, all that is documented on the S10 forum
4) I'm 6 foot 4 tall am i gonna look silly? nope, i can only just touch the ground and i'm 6inches shorter

Thanks

my S10 is back in Essex at the mo, but i'll be bringing it back to Reading sometime soon while the TDM is off the road.
can meet up for a ride then if you want

check out
http://supertenere.proboards20.com/
and
http://autos.groups....m/group/xtz750/

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#8 Chris TDM

Chris TDM

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:40 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my S10 is back in Essex at the mo, but i'll be bringing it back to Reading sometime soon while the TDM is off the road.
can meet up for a ride then if you want

check out
http://supertenere.proboards20.com/
and
http://autos.groups....m/group/xtz750/

cheers i've joined the proboards forum, lots of handy info, been looking at the 850 conversions looks to be quite simple, (he says)
Sure next time you have your S10 up here then we can meet up it would be handy to have a good look around one, I'm quite easy to spot with my sorry looking tdm dry.gif
Ridgeway mcc

GSF400
ER500
TDM850
CBR1100xx

#9 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:19 pm

QUOTE(Chris TDM @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers i've joined the proboards forum, lots of handy info, been looking at the 850 conversions looks to be quite simple, (he says)
Sure next time you have your S10 up here then we can meet up it would be handy to have a good look around one, I'm quite easy to spot with my sorry looking tdm dry.gif

cool good.gif
bet its not as sorry looking as mine at the mo

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#10 Guest_blarsen_*

Guest_blarsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:49 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool good.gif
bet its not as sorry looking as mine at the mo

At least you're not riding this:

(So bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no)
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

#11 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:00 pm

QUOTE(blarsen @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least you're not riding this:

(So bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no)
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Uh oh, you know you shouldn't get Dandy too excited, it's not good for him at his age laugh.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:26 pm

I know that you Norwegians are all fairly tall, but how the hell do you throw your leg over that?

#13 Guest_blarsen_*

Guest_blarsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:16 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that you Norwegians are all fairly tall, but how the hell do you throw your leg over that?

Well, I dunno, I'm still waiting for the owner to spill the beans.

#14 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:40 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you met bjorn tongue.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:52 pm

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you met bjorn tongue.gif

List time I saw him was was having trouble walking in a straight line let alone throwing his leg over anything rolleyes.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:09 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
List time I saw him was was having trouble walking in a straight line let alone throwing his leg over anything rolleyes.gif

lol he mentioned something about not enough blood in his alcohol stream

My TDM :

#17 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:18 pm

I found the Super-10 really good for tall people (I am 6"5), esp compared to the watered-down all-roads of today like V-Stroms and Caponords. They look great (esp the early blue/white/yellow ones) but build quality isn't great, brakes are poor even when kept in good condition (which is difficult enough) and the engine has plenty power but is a bit bland compared to the later 270 degrees TDM. But that's also a matter of taste of course wink.gif

Prices are really low, esp compared to the heavily overpriced and overrated Honda Africa Twin so definitely worth looking around for yahoo.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#18 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:14 pm

I had an XTZ until 2002, it's a good bike, very comfy & reliable.
This is the kind of bike that may bring you anywhere without trouble & pain.
The last trip I made with it lasted 12 hours non-stop across France.
That said, the brakes are non-existent and you have to ride very smoothly & carefully.

The Honda XRV is good too but not as comfortable.
Frame is better in short turns and engine have less power.

IMHO the XRV is overrated and the XTZ underrated.

top_640.png

#19 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:28 am

QUOTE(JBX @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had an XTZ until 2002, it's a good bike, very comfy & reliable.
This is the kind of bike that may bring you anywhere without trouble & pain.
The last trip I made with it lasted 12 hours non-stop across France.
That said, the brakes are non-existent and you have to ride very smoothly & carefully.

The Honda XRV is good too but not as comfortable.
Frame is better in short turns and engine have less power.

IMHO the XRV is overrated and the XTZ underrated.

i concur on the brakes, its quicker than the TDM & TRX away from the lights (because of the gearing) but its doesnt like stopping
not found a way of up rating the brakes yet sad.gif

My TDM :

#20 Guest_BigTim_*

Guest_BigTim_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:30 pm

Hi, I'm a 6'3" 20 stone ex rugby player and I had an S10 before I got my TDM. You won't look silly on it and it is all day long comfortable. I struggled with 2 up as my bike fitted with a top box didn't quite allow enough room for me and the wife without crushing important bits of the anatomy. I put it down to my bulk rather than a problem with the S10.

As much as I love my TDM I miss the torque and grin factor of the S10. It does however lead you into bad habits as with all that torque you get lazy with the gear changes.

I'm looking around for another S10 to go with the TDM.

Hope this helps

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users