Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:04 am

Hey guys,

Noob here from Victoria, Australia.

Haven't got a TDM yet, but will be having a look at one this weekend as I'm very, very interested. As a few people from Oz have noted, its near impossible to find one of these in the showroom so I'm looking at a second hand model.

What I'm curious about is tyre life. Reason for this is the minister for War and Finance (otherwise known as my better half) wants me to be reasonably practical with my next bike and this includes things like not chewing through tyres in 5,000kms, not chewing through the fuel, and not chewing through my licence.

So I'd been looking at a *gulp* V-Strom 650.....

But then I found a nice example of a TDM second hand and started researching in earnest as it seems to be along the same lines, but hasn't been smacked hard with the ugly stick....

Anyhoo, I digress. I figured the TDM could cover me on a couple of the ministers demands, but I've got no idea what tyre life is like and from the bit of searching I've done, it seems to be a pretty subjective thing. The owner of the bike I'm checking out told me he's been replacing tyres about every 5,000kms but he's just fitted some Roadsmarts and thinks the tri-compound might wear a bit better.

Can i get some ideas on what tyre life is like, especially riding two up? (So not particularly hard riding, but extra weight over the back wheel..)

Thanks heaps guys. Hoping to join the ranks of happy TDM owners before too long!
Even with an IQ of 6,000 its still brown trousers time....

2006 TDM900 - Silver, Staintune exhausts, EFI mod, centre stand, Ventura rack. More to come!

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#2 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:26 am

Just out for a quick liittle ride yesterday and having a coffee, guy pulls up on large automatic yamaha scooter. We chat, he says he gets 3000km a rear tyre. Scooter, automatic?! i ask if its him or the bike, he says "him". About says it all i reckon and you generally travel easier with a pillion.
cheers

#3 sas69

sas69

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:28 am

alright ma man,
I've had a TDM for the last five years and ridden various other bikes from the full spectrum of disciplines.
I have'nt had much exp of twos up as my wife has been pregnant for the entirety of the last five years, but what I can tell you is, if you buy touring tyres (no point in buying anything else)
you should see a pair last about 5-6k miles , I run metzlers, before that Macadams, I commute 6k to 7k a year and run it till its square wall yokohama, I replace a set per year roughly.

fuel economy is good 45mpg .

Out of all the bikes I ve had the TDM is up there for least hassle and least amount of money spent on.

cheers

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:09 pm

Hi !
I've ridden my Pirelli Diablo Strada's for like 13,000 kms before renewing them (rear squared off but not worn out). Solo commuting, quite peaceful driving.
Fuel economy: 62 mpg when max. cruising speed is kept at 100km/h, ~55 mpg when raising to 120 km/h.

Edited by Bjørge, 31 August 2009 - 12:10 pm.

Bjørge

#5 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:16 pm

My mk11 850 tyres used to do about 5500-6000 miles.
My new 900 has now done 5600 miles and looks to have about about 2000 miles left. The new compounds on the latest tyres seems to give much better life and grip. Mine came with Dunlop Sportmax as std.
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:26 pm

unless you are stupidly hard on tyres you should expect 6000-7000 miles(8500-10000kms) out of a set of dualcompound touring tyres like the Pilot Road 2s

the TDM is notoriously fruggle unless you run straight thru race pipes and always much better than a thristy strom

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 Guest_brianvg_*

Guest_brianvg_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:23 pm

Worth keeping in mind that the rears wear MUCH faster than the fronts. I Just replaced the rear because it was bald in the middle, but the front still has about half the tread depth. I figure by the time i'm ready for a new rear again the front will need replacing as well (or thereabouts). I guess the rears do wear about twice as fast! The old rear is a Mich P.R. and the new is as well, and up front, you guessed it, Pilot roads as well. Good tire, and with the release of the P.R. 2 they have become quite affordable.

#8 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its good to get some real world stories which helps me appease my other half.I think i'll be taking a good look at the TDM this weekend :)Oh, forgot to add - the bike I'm looking at has had the EFI mod done, as well as a pair of Staintune exhausts fitted. I figured that wouldn't change the characteristics of the bike all that much.

2006 TDM900 - Silver, Staintune exhausts, EFI mod, centre stand, Ventura rack. More to come!

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#9 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:26 pm

Welcome StormTrooper. My 9'er had the OEM Metzeler MEZ4's fitted when I bought it. I only got 6000km out of those & they were completely stuffed. Rear was worn out & front developed a
strange uneven wear pattern which made cornering interesting to say the least. About the worst set of tyres I've ever had on any bike. Crap in the wet & nerve racking on a gravel road even going slow.
Bit disappointing considering other Metzelers I've had have been A1.

I now have Dunlop RoadSmarts which are proving to be a fantastic tyre. So far I've done 5000km & they don't look even half worn out. They stick like shit to a blanket even in the wet & even
cope fairly well on a gravel road. I get around 60mpg riding two-up, that's about 200kg including topbox with gear & the missus's backpack.
For me the TDM is a keeper, so far it's done everything I want no prob's. You'll need to do a little farkling ( see the list below ) to get it just right for you, but hey what bike is perfect straight off
the showroom floor ?

I plan to fit some Avon Distanzia's next so I can test the TDM's off-road capabilities a bit more.

drinks.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 31 August 2009 - 11:27 pm.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#10 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:13 am

Stormtrooper,

if you're in the Melbourne area, there is a bike hire place that has a 900 in their stable.
Click here for Garners
If you're west of Melb' you can get access to the bike through City West Yamaha (click it), the two owners are brothers.

If you're unsure about getting a 9'er, hire it for a day/weekend and try it out... you'll be sure after having spent some time with the bike.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#11 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:40 am

Hey AzzA,

Thanks for the info. I'm actually in Bendigo, but getting down that way to have a look wouldn't be too much of a struggle.

I've run the roadsmarts on my SV and found them to be a good tyre, although after 6,000kms they're squaring off already. might have to look at upping the tyre pressure when riding two up.

Another thing I meant to ask is does anyone notice the redline ceiling at 8.5k? My SV tops out at 10.5, but I don't tend to push it beyond 7k as there's not a lot of point - the meatier part of the torque range is below this.... is the TDM the same?

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#12 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:47 am

Hi Stormy, I'm from Bendigo, if you want to get together to talk TDM's just say. I had a mk2 on which I did nearly 100,000ks, I've done 34,000k's on my 900 now in the best part of three years.

I'm getting a new rear Pilot Road2 fitted today, after very nearly 16000 out of the previous one I wasn't about to try anything else, never a problem with grip wet or dry either, but as you say tyre wear is subjective. I find as I get older I don't ride as hard which makes a difference to wear, when touring I usually sit on 110/120k's, as you would well know in our over policed state even at those speeds you are taking a risk with your licence. When I have the urge for an adrenalin hit I have a few favourite back roads that I frequent, but Victoria's finest are to be seen more and more on even these types of roads now. I find at touring speeds my 900 returns around 21k/l, loaded or unloaded seems to make little difference, I'm 185cm and around 92kg so I'd imagine a smaller and lighter rider could improve on those figures.

Before buying my 900 I test rode both the 650 and 1000 Stroms, the 1000 didn't impress that much, a bit top heavy and slow in the steering, I felt the 650 was a much sweeter bike, but as I'm a pretty big bloke and do a fair bit of touring loaded up I felt a little more power might be handy, hence I bought the TDM. Another consideration was that I wasn't looking for any off road capability, the only gravel my bike ever sees is our driveway, I find the amount of suspension adjustment on the 900 a great thing; you can adjust to suit your circumstance/state of mind, although as someone much wiser than me once said "the more adjustment available, the more likely you are to get it wrong".

Ahh it's great spring is here heralding the start of the rally season, plus the GP is just around the corner, bring it on! The older I get the more I feel I want to get out there while I still can, I know plenty of people who through illness or age are no longer riding, and my time will come, it's just when and how, you can't live a completely hedonistic life but I want to fire some more shots while I still can.

Cheers.

#13 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:20 am

Hi again. I forgot to reply regarding the power characteristics; redline is 8,000, the rev limiter though doesn't kick in 'till 9,500. Max. power is 63.4kw @7.500, max. torque 89nm @6,000, I rarely ride above 6,500 through the gears, I find it's better to grab another gear than rev the tits off the bike. On a windy road select the appropriate gear and roll throttle on, roll off for corner, hit apex roll on, repeat ad infinitum, ahh the beauty of a twin! I'm certainly no hot shot rider but recently a friend was following me on his ST1300 (no sports bike I know) he couldn't get over how I wasn't braking for most corners and yet accelerating earlier out of the turns than him, he was having to work hard on the brakes and throttle to stay with me. The accessible power, engine braking, and lack of mass compared to the ST made the TDM so much easier to ride on a windy road, this applies to most twins of course as you know doubt know Stormy having an SV.

Cheers.

#14 Guest_shadowjack_*

Guest_shadowjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:18 am

Stromtrooper, Can't say about riding two-up, but I just replaced a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 on my 96 MkII 8fiddy at 16,000 kms. Still had some life left, but what with it being mid-winter, wanting to wear-in a Mitas E07 prior to the fishing season over here...just did it. It's averaging 53mpg (18km/l?) over one year/17,000kms of all-seasons commuting, shingle roads, and touring with a 130kg wind-sock of a rider.

#15 Guest_number5_*

Guest_number5_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:43 am

QUOTE(Stormtrooper @ Mon 31st Aug 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys,

Noob here from Victoria, Australia.

Haven't got a TDM yet, but will be having a look at one this weekend as I'm very, very interested. As a few people from Oz have noted, its near impossible to find one of these in the showroom so I'm looking at a second hand model.

What I'm curious about is tyre life. Reason for this is the minister for War and Finance (otherwise known as my better half) wants me to be reasonably practical with my next bike and this includes things like not chewing through tyres in 5,000kms, not chewing through the fuel, and not chewing through my licence.

So I'd been looking at a *gulp* V-Strom 650.....

But then I found a nice example of a TDM second hand and started researching in earnest as it seems to be along the same lines, but hasn't been smacked hard with the ugly stick....

Anyhoo, I digress. I figured the TDM could cover me on a couple of the ministers demands, but I've got no idea what tyre life is like and from the bit of searching I've done, it seems to be a pretty subjective thing. The owner of the bike I'm checking out told me he's been replacing tyres about every 5,000kms but he's just fitted some Roadsmarts and thinks the tri-compound might wear a bit better.

Can i get some ideas on what tyre life is like, especially riding two up? (So not particularly hard riding, but extra weight over the back wheel..)

Thanks heaps guys. Hoping to join the ranks of happy TDM owners before too long!

Hi Stormtrooper,
the comments from Cortez in regards to riding the beast are spot on, after riding a big heavy inline four for six years I was really miffed when I couldn't keep up with missus on her new Hyosung 650GT twin in the twisties, I would be braking hard then accelerating hard to keep up, and couldn't understand why she never seemed to brake, so I decided I had to have a twin too, but it had to be a Yammie, considered the TRX, but then started reading about the TDM and was impressed by the reports.

Best decision I could have made, it handles a dream on NZ roads (not what I was expecting from what really is a big trailie), extremely comfortable on long distance work, the power delivery superb for country roads, and the sound (Laser cans fitted) is addictive, if a little loud.

Commuting I get 22K's per litre, and on long runs get over 24K's per litre, thats 400K plus from a full tank.

In regards to the tyres, I had Metz Z6's on and only got 6000K out of the back tyre, changed to Mich Pilot Road 2's and the handling got even better, milage averages around 12 - 14000K out of the back tyre, and a little more from the front.

It was the same story here too as to finding one, none in the showrooms, and only 2 used 900 appeared for sale in six months.
Yamaha should really review the marketing strategy here in NZ, as the markets there (Suzuki DL ugly duck is a big seller here).

#16 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:14 am

Thanks for all the info guys.

The responses so far have been excellent and very informative. I've got no hesitation at all in checking one out now and I'm really hoping the minister likes it from the pillions point of view.

Thanks heaps for putting up with my questions that have probably been asked a hundred times over already and making me feel welcome.

And Cortez, I might just take you up on that offer to talk shop - didn't realise there'd be any other Bendigonians on here, given the rareity of the TDM!

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#17 Stratman

Stratman

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:31 pm

I think they are the dogs whatnots now. My FireStorm is much faster, but the TDM does it all and with the Avons on, outhandles most things in the flick flack roads. Oh, and does 55-65 mpg, and handles full luggage, 230 miles to a tank etc etc. Can cruise all day at 90-100 mph. It's great, though it took me a while to bond with it!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

#18 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:38 am

The PR2 are hard wearing but they'll feel a bit greasy to begin with, you might want to give em a few K's through the Whipstick on one of the gravel tracks that goes out north past the ol' diggings toward Kamarooka... feathers up the rubber nicely. Mine felt a lot better, more sure into corners, after I'd done a few laps of the old foreshore at Eppalock. While I was there I looked down at the GPS and saw I was in the middle of what was once a huge lake, looked up and saw the longest boat ramp ever put in a paddock (that still doesn't reach the water), looked over my shoulder and saw a farmhouse in the middle of a field (yep, that was the water-ski "beach side" clubhouse)... gave up at that point and headed off to the pub to wash the dust off.

#19 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:12 am

QUOTE(AzzA @ Wed 2nd Sep 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The PR2 are hard wearing but they'll feel a bit greasy to begin with, you might want to give em a few K's through the Whipstick on one of the gravel tracks that goes out north past the ol' diggings toward Kamarooka... feathers up the rubber nicely. Mine felt a lot better, more sure into corners, after I'd done a few laps of the old foreshore at Eppalock. While I was there I looked down at the GPS and saw I was in the middle of what was once a huge lake, looked up and saw the longest boat ramp ever put in a paddock (that still doesn't reach the water), looked over my shoulder and saw a farmhouse in the middle of a field (yep, that was the water-ski "beach side" clubhouse)... gave up at that point and headed off to the pub to wash the dust off.

Yeah, Eppalock isn't looking its best these days.... for a while there the farmers were making their living pulling 4wds out of the mud when adventurous types decided to try driving across what used to be the lake....

So you from this neck of the woods AzzA or just passing through? Unfortunately apart from a 2 minute run up One Tree Hill/Diamond Hill and Mt Alexander there aren't too many fun roads around here... gotta ride at least 60 or 70kms to find something twistie smile.gif

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#20 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:29 am

One Tree was today's warm-up, before a little jaunt through Mandurang, Axe Creek and Eppalock. Even with the sunshine that wind was f'n cold! There's a few nice twisties if you can get out between the mad hours when everyone is toing and froing, without getting into serious peg scratching. Word of warning though, with all the blossom and recent rain you're best having a pocket full of visor wipes... or getting use to the spots before your eyes. (Them bees is BIG!)

Edit: I'm vagrant, nearly.

Edited by AzzA, 02 September 2009 - 11:30 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users