#41 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:36 pm

Yes, a really nice bike. Seems like they sell a lot of the classic Triumphs over here, see some any time I'm out...

But how do you choose between those two bikes when it's time for a spin?

Edited by Bjørge, 26 May 2020 - 05:37 pm.

Bjørge

#42 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:08 pm

Do you have more than one bike ?    :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

Hello again folks - It's been a while  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#43 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:43 pm

I knew this thread would entice you back to Carpe Mick. :lol:  How is the stable these days ?  Got any new bikes in there ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#44 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:47 am

Do you have more than one bike ?    :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

Hello again folks - It's been a while  :good:

Hi there! You filled the void from me taking the 9er? I sold it recently, served me well but I still had my old MkI waiting for rescue and don't have a spare garage like you have 😎

Edited by Bjørge, 27 May 2020 - 05:48 am.

Bjørge

#45 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:21 am

Yes, a really nice bike. Seems like they sell a lot of the classic Triumphs over here, see some any time I'm out...

But how do you choose between those two bikes when it's time for a spin?

When I've done a few more miles on the Bonnie I'll try to answer that question!  :)

#46 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:53 am

Hi mate. Well mine's quite old now in its own right as I bought it new in 2000, and I think quality wise it's a world away from what Enfield's are turning out now. The bike in the pic is as near a copy of a 1950s Reddich Bullet as you'll find, plus a few more up to date niceties such as 12 volt electrics and a twin leading shoe front brake.

However, in 2000, the quality control of bikes made in India was quite woeful, and over the years some things have failed which on most other bikes you wouldn't dream of. Most of the rubber fittings have rotted away and been replaced. The kick start paul snapped, and the paintwork originally was poor. But, then again, you've got to bare in mind that it only cost £2,800 brand new (in 2000).

On the plus side it's simple, there's no electronic gimmickry, and you can fix just about anything with only a very basic knowledge of motorcycles, and just a few simple tools. I've been lucky as in my case reliability has been good (apart from the kick starter problem above). I've even been to Scotland on her without any problems. And it doesn't burn any oil.

Watch out for one bogey man model they introduced - the Electra X with the 'lean burn engine'. The engineering was awful - a friend of mine bought one and found out that the crank was running out of alignment (!) as well as other basic faults. Luckily he's an an engineer and was able to fix it but for any Joe Bloggs it would have been a disaster.

Overall I think the new bikes they're making now seem ok, and before I bought the Bonneville pictured above I had a test ride on a 650 Interceptor and I quite liked it. I went for the Triumph in the end due to the quality. If it's a Bullet you're after just remember that they only put out about 22 bhp (even the new ones)  which in modern traffic is hardly enough. They are definitely country lane potter about machines not road burners.

Hope some of that helps mate - and whatever you buy happy biking!  :)

Good information, thanks. 22 bhp does sound a bit weak nowadays for modern road conditions.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#47 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:24 pm

Late September, the Royal Enfield I virtually rebuilt, it was ok ish, but fasteners and other bits needed to be brought up to standard.

Edited by leehenty, 28 May 2020 - 06:59 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#48 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:26 pm

Good information, thanks. 22 bhp does sound a bit weak nowadays for modern road conditions.

supercharge it using an asin amr300 supercharger, would look great too

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#49 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:17 pm

supercharge it using an asin amr300 supercharger, would look great too

And I always find judicious use of nitromethane adds that extra perkiness.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#50 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:26 pm

And I always find judicious use of nitromethane adds that extra perkiness.

used to use that in 5% to 95% methanol for my aero models way back.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#51 Navigator1946

Navigator1946

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:11 am

I tend towards one bike at once, as my garage is not really big enough for two bikes and all my other gubbins. A Deauville followed a CBR600, then I fell for a Crosstourer dct, which I currently have, and I absolutely love it. I kept the Deauville for a few months, but didn't use it, so it went to a guy in Wales. Recently, I bought a Fazer fzs 600. It was cheap and I thought it would keep some miles off the CT, which covers around 10k annually. But I couldn't get comfy on it, so it went to a friend almost at once. I started looking for a replacement and got into TDMs. I'm viewing a 900 this week and it will join the CT for the summer. Then the CT will go as its getting too heavy for me. That's the plan anyway!

2008 TDM900 in beautiful black.  Fender extender, after market Bullster touring screen, radiator guard, RM-G crash bars, 12V/USB socket, Oxford heated grips, Bagster tank cover, centre stand, E22 Givi panniers, standard exhausts. Beautiful Acerbis hand guards. <p>2015 Honda Crosstourer Highlander dct. Fabulous bike, but getting heavier as I age. The 9er is its replacement, eventually.

#52 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:14 pm

Bike's needed is always N +1 N being the number you currently have. I'm considering pxing the RE classic chrome for a Himalayan.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#53 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:35 pm

Just seen on MCN about the Himalayan having a recall for brake issues, some other models too.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#54 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 09:10 pm

Like member Riggers, I too have a soft spot for a kick-start Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe. I've had the old girl for 21years now, with my TDM 900 for long distance touring.

Nostalgia was my principle cause for buying but I'll never give her up.

Attached Files

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 09 October 2021 - 09:14 pm.

#55 waynedear

waynedear

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:07 am

I have currently chained to the 4tx my bargain basement old Black Beauty, a snip at £250.

Attached File  1F5CF4C5-061A-4279-9320-FEE5B9B5D537.jpeg   185.76KB   14 downloads

#56 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:50 pm

I have currently chained to the 4tx my bargain basement old Black Beauty, a snip at £250.

attachicon.gif 1F5CF4C5-061A-4279-9320-FEE5B9B5D537.jpeg

Did it come with any petrol in the tank at that price? :um:

What a steal!

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

#57 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:28 pm

TDM 900 2002 my goto bike for fast touring with full luggage, Triumph T100 Bonneville 2016 my Sunny Sunday afternoon bike and a Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 for going back to the 1950's when I feel like it, even though it's a 16 plate. So currently I'm a three bike man.

Edited by leehenty, 14 October 2021 - 12:52 pm.

#58 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:51 am

I've also got 3 - the Tiger for touring holidays, the XJR for Sunday afternoons - and the TDM for everything else.

I've wavered in the past on my TDM ownership considering a sale but then I ride it and realise it's probably the perfect bike for me.

I've been asked in the past (by non-bikers) why I have three bikes and struggled to give one good reason, but  I now have the perfect response - "I can't fit 4 in my garage"

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#59 waynedear

waynedear

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:51 pm

Did it come with any petrol in the tank at that price? :um:

What a steal!

It had a black tank with holes, he had sourced from Germany a mint blue tank, included in the price, I had it painted, also approx £400+ of other spares, cost me a couple of pounds of petrol and a few hours going over it to get an mot. Bargain indeed

#60 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:39 am

Just got this monster....
Already gone sideways!!
First project to stave off retirement boredom....just hope the projects grow a bit!! ;)

Attached Files

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users