Photo

How Many Aussie Tdmers Out There

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:23 am

Henning is in the BMW club of Vic and organises the Alpine Rally. He told me he was heading for Brindabella this weekend.
A true gentleman of the road and pleasure to know !
Rick
[/quote]

Fantastic! we first saw him and waved when he left Omeo and we were about to. I saw him again as said and again a little later at Kings Flat. My riding companion had an old BMW in the shed which his son has dragged out to "fix up". They talked about that, Henning offered support for parts needed, they swapped contact info and off we went. As you say, a gentleman etc
I did wonder about the large sheets on top, all explained.

cheers Graeme

PS have an urgent job to do so tonights "rally ride" has to be postponed till tomorrow.

#62 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:59 am

QUOTE(graeme @ Thu 7th Jan 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Rick, you posted while i was writing trip2. I admire you for doing it on a pushbike, youse are awesome! The bloody boat. Its about 9kms down the road from me. Chas Rose bought it years ago as a project, ex fishing trawler from Lakes Entrance. Who knows what its fate will be--- The scarecrow hanging off it is one of many to be seen around the area, mostly around easter but they tend to perservere. Its an arts project thats been going foe some years and gives some really good results. Ensay store is the other one and its not far from here that the Little River Inn is. If the rally group was wanting to support local business then Kim would love you to buy fuel here (Omeo is small business too but Kim has made a real effort to make a go of this place). Maybe we could have lunch here one day too.
For others info Doctors Flat Road is same as Boonabirra Hill Rd.
cheers Graeme

Graeme,
We thought the Cassilis Road was very interesting. One of our party making friends with a local !
Regards,
Rick

Edited by Snigdog, 09 January 2010 - 11:02 am.

2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

#63 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:30 pm

QUOTE(Snigdog @ Sat 9th Jan 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graeme,
We thought the Cassilis Road was very interesting. One of our party making friends with a local !
Regards,
Rick

rotflmmfao.gif

#64 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:40 pm

All that peddling and rubbing their nether regions on rugged seating, it's no wonder cyclists will dry hump practically anything... bit hard getting a phone number out of a scarecrow though. biggrin.gif

Waiting anxiously for the next instalment of the Oz TDM Great Alpine Ride.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#65 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:47 am

And a mate of mine for quite a few years too. Ask him about Al and Marie. Next time I see him should be Karuah River Rally in Feb. To which any TDM riders are also welcome.

I should have been heading to Brindabella too, but the house fire has put the stoppers on me for the moment. Till I have a house to move into I'm not moving the TDM from where it is, once I do then I can clean it as well as the other ash-covered stuff.

Al
(also in the BMW clubs environment for a long time)

QUOTE(Snigdog @ Sat 9th Jan 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graeme,
That is Henning Jorgenson. He is a contract draftsman who has just come back to where I work and is the guy I described in a recent post.
He bought the R75 about 20 years ago when it had 25k miles on the clock, now it has 500k miles! or so.
Henning doesnt own a car and is an avowed motorcyclist. Routinely he will head off on long trips with his swag, camp beside the road or whereever if he feels like it.
Henning is in the BMW club of Vic and organises the Alpine Rally. He told me he was heading for Brindabella this weekend.
Rick

Edited by AL-58, 10 January 2010 - 08:50 am.

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#66 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:01 am

Ok, so the General direction of Buchan is a "must". It is a question of "longer" or "shorter". The shorter way you travel across from Ensay on the Sandy Creek Rd and Cutts Track to Buchan where you have some lunch and then take the very nice road towards Bruthen and then up the Great Alpine Road back to Ensay. Nothing wrong with this at all, very scenic and you cross the Timbarra River on the way to Buchan ( for some reason i find that name just beautiful, Timbarra.) OR, if we were up early and the weather was good we could go a slightly longer route----
From Ensay to Omeo for fuel etc, then to Benambra, turning on to the Limestone / Black Mountain Road. Gravel but usually pretty good we head through some really rugged country

before joining the Snowy River Rd above Wombargo (sealed). After passing Wombargo there is an option to go 20 odd kms to McKillops Bridge (gravel) and because we were up early etc we can take this option, pretty spectacular scenery and a long drop down to the Snowy River.

When we are at the bottom its the Snowy River and McKillops bridge which is just amazing, if really keen you could continue on the other side but we would be late home!

Thats Mark and his Caponord. Instead we will have a bit of a look etc and then head back to the main road. Maybe stopping at the Little River Gorge along the way?

When we do get back to the main its a delightful (sealed) run down to Gelantipy and Buchan, really is a smooth fast road with great scenery (and a few cows)
A break at Buchan and then to Bruthen via the Nowa Nowa Rd with a finish run up the GAR (the famous bit) to home Sleep well? i think so!

Tomorrow we will have a local day, visit the historic park, the oriental claims and run out to Benambra, around (or over) the lake for a prize photo op going over Blowhard.
cheers Graeme

cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 10 January 2010 - 11:16 am.

#67 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:40 am

Hi all, having done a few days of quite a few k's over all sorts of terrain and not having seen a single traffic light, not one Mc Donalds and very little traffic as well as wearing the sides of the tyres more than the middle it might be good to have a quiet day. Into Omeo for starters via one of a few paths. The Historic park is worth visiting,

Two CourtHouses, the "new" (1893) still operational on a couple of occasions per year and a total of 5 heritage listed buildings. It makes a lovely backdrop for a line up on the main street (GAR but its Day Avenue through town.) Not that any of the UK members are reading this but the architect was AJ MacDonald. He was Walter Burley Griffin's assistant in designing Canberra. The Log Gaol, Stables and Residence make up the rest with the local history collection throughout. We might do a photo or two of the bikes inside the park as well, these will be unique settings. Having done that we would most likely have a coffee at the bakery before heading out to Benambra and riding around the edge of Lake Omeo to go over Blowhard

The second pic is from the Mt Sam fire tower near Omeo, looking over Omeo Valley with Benambra and the dry lake in the middle. We ride in from the right, exit left, around lake, crossing the wrinkly bit (blowhard, out of sight) and coming back from left in the closer valley.
That has been down Omeo Valley. After crossing blowhard we MIGHT have turned the other way, riden a little further, crossed the Mitta Miita River at the historic Hinnomunjie Bridge and onto the "Knocker Track". So named because it is steep and a steady climb which knocked the bullocks and horses about badly. But its a quicker way to Glen Valley and gives the option to then ride back via Omeo Hwy and that crazy section of road that just never fails to impress. However we have ridden back to Omeo via Omeo Valley, grabbed some lunch and gone just a km or so west of town to go into the Oriental Claims. This was(is) the highest alluvial gold claim in Australia. Alluvial, as you all know, simply means "rock carried by water or stream" and means the river gravels usually.

This photo shows the workings towards the end, the 150hp engine which drove the water cannon was the largest imported into Australia at the time. This type of mining (hydraulic Sluicing) has been used widely but this might be its largest application. Large boulders were thrown around "as nothing" with the blast at full pressure and cliffs of gravel were formed. I will always stand corrected but geologically this gravel and the deep beds resulted from the pushing up of the Great Divide and the breaking of the backs of a number of rivers. The gravels then accumulated in the valleys etc (such as this) and the Murray Darling basin catchment was formed. Its why when we are at the top of the Cassilis Gap having a piss on one side of the Mt Delusion Rd will feed the Murray Darling catchment while doing it on the other side will feed the Tambo Valley and the sea. This is where the change from "south of the divide" to "north of the divide" actually happens. The Sludge Abatement Board banned this form of mining in 1904 because of the silt resulting from it starting to affect the Murray River. Something in the order of 12 million cubic metres was washed into the Livingstone creek and the method was used right along the waterways, Mitta Mitta for example. The Oriental Claims has a few tracks and signage, i can also show you less publicly open areas of caves in gravel cliffs etc.
So thats been a day of not that many kms but a very interesting one and with a few really good photos of a "carpet" of tdms.
cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 11 January 2010 - 11:47 am.

#68 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:13 pm

I'm glad you're planning the rides Graeme and I'm really looking forward to this G2G now... you're not a professional tourist wrangler are you? Sounds like you'd do a fair job of it if you were.

#69 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:19 pm

QUOTE(Snigdog @ Fri 8th Jan 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graeme,
That is Henning Jorgenson. He is a contract draftsman who has just come back to where I work and is the guy I described in a recent post.
He bought the R75 about 20 years ago when it had 25k miles on the clock, now it has 500k miles! or so.
Henning doesnt own a car and is an avowed motorcyclist. Routinely he will head off on long trips with his swag, camp beside the road or whereever if he feels like it.
Rick

Respect

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#70 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:15 am

QUOTE(AzzA @ Tue 12th Jan 2010, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad you're planning the rides Graeme and I'm really looking forward to this G2G now... you're not a professional tourist wrangler are you? Sounds like you'd do a fair job of it if you were.

Hi Azza, thanks, no am definitely not a "Tourist Wrangler". Very involved with Omeo Historical Society (non profit , different focus) who run the Historic Park and have an interest in gold mining (from my dad). Generally find myself at odds with those business operators who cant see past their cash register. Not a pub person either, you'll notice that my rides arent based on where to get the next beer (wine drinker). Most areas have an interesting story to tell and the extent of this areas history is a bit of an eye opener to most visitors because what you see as you drive in is mostly bush, there is nothing here, most think, as they hurtle through. Many history savvy locals were astounded (not just here but also in places like Bright / Myrtleford / Dargo) by what the 03 fires revealed, that is that all the rivers and banks along their entire length have been mined, as well as every gully, there is rock work etc in places that many considered pristine. A number of the central areas have always been known to have been "industrial suburbs" but there literally isnt a single hill, valley, or stretch of anything remotely wet that hasnt at least been tested for gold. Most of my support for the Society is because the Historic park is "original", Sovereign Hill is a top tourist attraction but its completely manufactured, we dont cater for that sort of crap. I had the privelege of going into the Haunted Stream / Stirling area post 07 fires to look at what was exposed, absolutely extraordinary the extent of human activity. Now, see what you've started, another rant, and havent even touched on the environmental damage that the mining caused and the repercussions today----blah blah blah
cheers Graeme
PS but tomorrows ride could be mostly gravel (good) along Angora Range Road and Mt Delusion Rd where you could see some of the disgraceful damage done by clearfell logging? Oh dear------

#71 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:11 am

I might have to take a week/fortnight/month off for this G2G, it's sure going to be a different pace than the Ulysses AGM ride in March... which looks like I'll be chewing through nearly a whole service interval in about 3 weeks.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

#72 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:45 pm

QUOTE(graeme @ Tue 12th Jan 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Azza, thanks, no am definitely not a "Tourist Wrangler". Very involved with Omeo Historical Society (non profit , different focus) who run the Historic Park and have an interest in gold mining (from my dad). Generally find myself at odds with those business operators who cant see past their cash register. Not a pub person either, you'll notice that my rides arent based on where to get the next beer (wine drinker). Most areas have an interesting story to tell and the extent of this areas history is a bit of an eye opener to most visitors because what you see as you drive in is mostly bush, there is nothing here, most think, as they hurtle through. Many history savvy locals were astounded (not just here but also in places like Bright / Myrtleford / Dargo) by what the 03 fires revealed, that is that all the rivers and banks along their entire length have been mined, as well as every gully, there is rock work etc in places that many considered pristine. A number of the central areas have always been known to have been "industrial suburbs" but there literally isnt a single hill, valley, or stretch of anything remotely wet that hasnt at least been tested for gold. Most of my support for the Society is because the Historic park is "original", Sovereign Hill is a top tourist attraction but its completely manufactured, we dont cater for that sort of crap. I had the privelege of going into the Haunted Stream / Stirling area post 07 fires to look at what was exposed, absolutely extraordinary the extent of human activity. Now, see what you've started, another rant, and havent even touched on the environmental damage that the mining caused and the repercussions today----blah blah blah
cheers Graeme
PS but tomorrows ride could be mostly gravel (good) along Angora Range Road and Mt Delusion Rd where you could see some of the disgraceful damage done by clearfell logging? Oh dear------

Graeme,
Tour sounds fabulous ! I plan to be there. On our crotch rubbers ride tongue.gif last year we visited the Museum at Omeo. Met an interesting bloke named Ben Buckley. It turned out that he grew up in Balnarring (our town) and not only gave us the run down on the Omeo area but also some dirt on ours. We got to talking about where the actual source of the Murray is and he offered to chopper us up there for a fee. We heard later that he is colourful character in the area who has been known to land his plane in the main streets of towns etc among other things
Rick

Edited by Snigdog, 12 January 2010 - 07:49 pm.

2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

#73 Big Bird

Big Bird

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:20 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 12th Dec 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and a gal. Might be worth sending Big Bird a PM.

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Sat 12th Dec 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apart from Kelpie I haven't noticed any posts from sheilas maybe they don't find us blokes as interesting as we think we are ? laugh.gif wink.gif They are welcome to be in any TDUT.

No posts by sheilas? - damn noobies think they know their way around a forum - pffft!

I'm always up for a weekend away - although, by the time this G2G eventuates I may no longer have the 850.
yes, your fears have come true, I've gone to the dark side & bought myself a WeeStrom

#74 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:34 am

QUOTE(Snigdog @ Wed 13th Jan 2010, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graeme,
Tour sounds fabulous ! I plan to be there. On our crotch rubbers ride tongue.gif last year we visited the Museum at Omeo. Met an interesting bloke named Ben Buckley. It turned out that he grew up in Balnarring (our town) and not only gave us the run down on the Omeo area but also some dirt on ours. We got to talking about where the actual source of the Murray is and he offered to chopper us up there for a fee. We heard later that he is colourful character in the area who has been known to land his plane in the main streets of towns etc among other things
Rick

Thanks, glad you like, looks like might be two or three takers then---
Ben Buckley, Ben is a member of the Society, local character most definitely, very good pilot, has been an Omeo Shire Coucillor and is currently an East Gippsland Shire Councillor. His base is Benambra, wrote a book called "buckleys chance". Never a dull conversation with Ben. This is him at the CourtHouse in 2004 when (then) (Victorian) Governor Landy visited and Ben represented the Shire. You may have seen him in the prisoners "arrow" shirt he often wears when on duty at the Park.

Wont do a ride tonight, its already 9 30 and have to try and sort out some pics on the computer, seem to have misplaced some relevant to the rides.
cheers Graeme

PPS have found some of the "missing" photos. The "murray River " source question Ben was on about stemed from the rededication of the Black Allen Line which is the straight bit of the Victorian / NSW border (ever wondered about it?). He flew himself and one or two others over for the occasion. This is the plaque

The people arrowed in this next one are: Far left and Far right, i think they are the Surveyors General of NSW and Vic. 2nd from Left, Governor of NSW, centre, Hon. Craig Ingram MLA, 2nd right, Governor of Vic.

Edited by graeme, 13 January 2010 - 11:21 am.

#75 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:10 am

Now armed with a new TDM, I'll put my hand up for the G2G, after PI sounds good, for me I just need to give 4 week notice for leave.
Trotski

All ways remember, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250
1999 Baltic Blue TDM 850 2010 Black TDM900

#76 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:17 am

QUOTE(Big Bird @ Wed 13th Jan 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No posts by sheilas? - damn noobies think they know their way around a forum - pffft!

I'm always up for a weekend away - although, by the time this G2G eventuates I may no longer have the 850.
yes, your fears have come true, I've gone to the dark side & bought myself a WeeStrom

Forum Noob eh ? laugh.gif

I used to have a WeeStrom, nice bike but replaced by TDM 900, 'cause you're a Carpe member we'll pretend it's a TDM & let you come along. wink.gif biggrin.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#77 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:25 am

QUOTE(graeme @ Tue 12th Jan 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers Graeme

G'day Graeme, agree with Azza you're doing a nice job thus far. good.gif Haven't been on the site lately as I've ben busy pursuing other interests in between job hunting & yes Azza getting Tigerscreens made. Thanks for the map of Eastern VIC,completly un-expected & much appreciated, I'll have a gander soon as I get a chance.

drinks.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#78 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:21 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day Graeme, agree with Azza you're doing a nice job thus far. good.gif Haven't been on the site lately as I've ben busy pursuing other interests in between job hunting & yes Azza getting Tigerscreens made. Thanks for the map of Eastern VIC,completly un-expected & much appreciated, I'll have a gander soon as I get a chance.

drinks.gif

Thanks, hope youve found something by way of a job but by the sound of it making the screens might be a bit of a goer. Have also been busy, will have some more soon---
cheers Graeme

PS to those who know the Cassilis Road. The boat has moved!!, two saturdays ago, following an order from council (after 18 years) the boat has been moved across the road onto private land.

Edited by graeme, 02 February 2010 - 09:24 am.

#79 Big Bird

Big Bird

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:14 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to have a WeeStrom, nice bike but replaced by TDM 900, 'cause you're a Carpe member we'll pretend it's a TDM & let you come along. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Still have the TDM - for now. Taking it to Orange this weekend for it's last hurrah before it gets advertised.

So? Has anyone set a date for this Aussie RTT yet?

#80 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:33 am

QUOTE(Big Bird @ Wed 3rd Feb 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still have the TDM - for now. Taking it to Orange this weekend for it's last hurrah before it gets advertised.

So? Has anyone set a date for this Aussie RTT yet?

Hi BB, its been mentioned as maybe starting the tuesday after Philip island which i think makes it 19 october and running to sunday24 but its just a suggestion at this point.
cheers Graeme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users