#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:40 pm

I've never had a Pinlock visor, but that seems to be the most highly regarded of the 'anti-mist' methods.
......I tend to ride with my visor open a click to avoid misting-up......but it feels draughty.... in this weather especialy!
My dilemma is that I really like the graduated visors (darker at the top, obviously) available from Bob Heath, which I find v.helpfull in low-sun conditions....but maybe because B.H have their own anti-mist product, they don't do a Pinlock version of the grad-ed visor.
Has anyone attempted to convert a non-Pinlock into a Pinlock.....drilling? inserting 'pins'?......
.....or any ideas?

..........Jiff.

#2 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:14 pm

I was under the impression you could drill the visor yourself using a template from Pinlock/  I've never done this myself, however.  The only time I ever had a Pinlock was one an Arai XD3/TourX.  I was too chicken to drill the existing visor, so I bought a pinlock ready one.  Strange that the most expensive helmet I ever owned fogged up the worst.

Actually, here's a quick google image: 

CLEAR_1349284193.jpg

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:25 pm

Quite contrary....

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:32 pm

I have a Shark pinlock and its lost its seal like a double glazed window does. Will be going back to the shop if I can ever remember to take it with me next time I'm in town.

I was a genuine Shark item so I should imagine drilling it yourself would be a bit hit or miss.

#5 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:44 pm

I have fitted a pinlock some time ago.
It was easy came with a template and the correct size drill. Just follow the instructions and it is a 10 minute job.
Most helmets now come with a pinlock fitted they do work well.

Edited by Gasman, 06 February 2015 - 03:45 pm.

#6 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:52 pm

I've pinlocked a Sheoi visor - the locating pins are on eccentrics to adjust the fit, so take that into account when drilling it

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:30 pm

I bought an AGV at the bike show some years ago and they drilled it for me there on a jig, so may be worth checking if any shops have a jog for it.

YamahaSam, as Dandy said the pins are eccentric, I had trouble with mine misting up at the bottom and realised it was seating against the visor properly, twiddled one of the pins a bit and it now seals fine.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:02 pm

I've drilled my own.

You get a template with the pinlock and pins too.  Just make sure that you are 100% about location before drilling.

Also I used a brad point bit for the starter hole, then the require sized bit to finish off.  The brad point bit helps avoid the bit running across the visor!

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#9 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:46 pm

......Oh, thanks guys, I didn't realise it could be a DIY job....and from Pinlock themselves, it seems.
(as suggested, a kit is available which includes template, suitable size drill, buttons etc)...£23.99

It appears, that a grad-ed pukka visor for my Shoei Multitec, Pinlock-ready(drilled & buttoned) is available, which would cost £65, then plus the Pinlock insert would take it up to £85 !
.......non-grad-ed would be £20 cheaper.

Bob Heath would supply a grad-ed visor, with their own 'anti-fog coating' for £32....
......a BH grad-ed visor, without the coating would cost £ 29.00
............then plus the Pinlock DIY kit @ £23.99 = £52.99 total

.....so, if anyone's still awake, scanning through all of the above offers a variety of alternative routes to no-mist, low-angle sun nirvana...

.........Jiff

#10 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:01 pm

Didn't someone link a visor that slots in around the padding at the top of the visor opening.

I'll see if I can find it.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#11 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:50 am

I bought an AGV at the bike show some years ago and they drilled it for me there on a jig, so may be worth checking if any shops have a jog for it.

YamahaSam, as Dandy said the pins are eccentric, I had trouble with mine misting up at the bottom and realised it was seating against the visor properly, twiddled one of the pins a bit and it now seals fine.

Well I never. Works a treat although I managed to shear one of the pins. Should have popped it out then turned it & put it back in. Got 4 off ebay. What would we do without ebay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users