• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:09 pm

Ok i'm gonna be trying to start a MK1 thas not been run fer at least 4 years.  Previously i have had enjuns sat on the bench and simply removed the cam cover (4TX and 5PS) and used a syringe to drip feed the cams and all the udder moving bits in the top end to reduce the friction when they are cranked over after a lay up.

This enjun (6900 miles since 1991) is in the frame and i don't really wanna remove the cam cover and disturb the coolant poipe and O ring in order to drip feed the cams,  so is there any udder way of getting oil in there to aid starting?  I guess i cud try removing that oil check bolt in the head and forcing some oil in there via a tube?

Or shud i just try starting the fecking ting as it is,  what say ye?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:43 pm

Na dont start it, been laid up a long time, the gallery oil bolt you wanna push oil through runs to the other side of the head and feeds the exhaust cams on the way then it does a right and a right again past the oil line to feed the inlet cams, might work but stop being a lazy fook and do it proper  :D only take ya ten minutes, pull the radiator forward on loosed bolts, iffin ya inclined to start it remove the plugs and put a bit oil in, you turning it over by hand Ken

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:22 pm

pulled the plugs stuck a bore scope down there to have a look as i was concerned the bore(s) cudda been filled with petrol, den squirted oil down the bores (the squealed like pigs oddly enuf) and pressed the starter to spread the oil about and expel excess up thru the plug holes.   Rad dropped forward so maybe i shud remove the cam cover and have a look see...

Bit late now so i'd better wheel all 3 back into the garage i guess.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:27 pm

I would, better safe than sorry eh, once it's running you'll consign #7 down the farm ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:13 am

I would, better safe than sorry eh, once it's running you'll consign #7 down the farm ;)

blasphemy!  

#6 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:16 pm

pulled the plugs stuck a bore scope down there to have a look as i was concerned the bore(s) cudda been filled with petrol, den squirted oil down the bores (the squealed like pigs oddly enuf) and pressed the starter to spread the oil about and expel excess up thru the plug holes.   Rad dropped forward so maybe i shud remove the cam cover and have a look see...

Bit late now so i'd better wheel all 3 back into the garage i guess.

Yeah i would have said oil the bores BUT turn over by hand,as you have already used the starter motor oil has probably circulated already so crack on start it up.For me If a bike turns freely by hand I will just press the button and keep the revs down for a few seconds (20?) and then blip it some to warm it up.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:07 pm

:wifgeni:  Seems to be the way to start an engine that's been stood for a few years,  Ed China uses this method too. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:33 pm

Turn the fuel off and then crank it a few times. Should be enough to get the oil flowing.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:27 pm

ok tank ye all kindly.  I have anudder enjun sat in the garage with the cam cover off,  so i'm just interested to see if my idea of injecting oil in thru the small oil check bolt hole on the head and blowing it in with a low pressure air line would sufficiently circulate aforementioned lubricant all around the cams etc.  Oil report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users