#1 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:28 am

BSM and I are heading over to Monshau tomorrow for 10 days. We weren't sure I'd be fit to go on the bike when we booked it cos it wasn't long since I'd had my knee replacement op. 7 1/2 months down the line I'm well able for the journey and I can't wait!! We're catching the Chunnel and staying in an apartment a couple of miles from town.

I know many of you have been there and would love to hear your tips on things to see, places to eat and routes worth riding. We're also hoping to venture in Luxembourg while we're there.

Thank you muchly!
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#2 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:06 am

It's some years since I have been down there but the road from Eupen to Monshau used to be pretty dire. I believe it was an old military road and is concrete slabs with grass growing between them. Some wit had sprayed the border sign between Germany and Belgium, black and added "The Highway to Hell" in red lettering. Even on a BMW R80 anything over 40mph would shake your fillings out.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:54 am

Carpe had an RTT to Monschau, might glean some info there Kelpie.  http://www.carpe-tdm...hp?showforum=49

I think Matt101 has also been over there in the last couple of years.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:55 am

Definitely put Luxembourg on your list - visit Vianden - it's like their version of Matlock Bath at weekends - Biker Central 

And the roads around there are fantastic - lovely twisty ones clinging to the sides of river valleys .

Some cracking roads in the Luxembourg region of Belgium as well ......all the Ardennes around there

Attached photo of Vianden

Attached Files

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:49 am

Eupen road was resurfaced at least 2 years ago

In Lux City you can find Steffes, it's not far from the bridge (opposite end from Cathedral - nice at night) and is one of the best hardware/.cooking equipment/gadget shops in western EU. if you have forgotten anything you can get it here. There is a cheap Italian restaurant on the corner nearby and plod turns a blind eye to pavement parking (inc overnight in my experience).

Dodge over to Adenau - Blau Ecke or Brauhaus/NRing. Adenau is not far.from Monschau and there are loads of well maintained winding roads through the Eifel National Park (keep an eye out for eagles (massive)) and power rangers and there are some great cake shops  - a bit further to Cochem for the Illuminated (like fancy old book letters illuminated) castle.. Local plod & local bikers love the drop into Cochem. Keep room in your panniers for a couple of bottles of top quality German white wine if you like that kind of thing.

Enjoy - I always do when passing through that way.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:33 pm

Head for the Biker Ranch in Strauch. From Monschau to Imgenbroich, Simmerath then Strauch. Not at the lights, at the square. Can't miss it then. Just ask there for best rides or hook on to any of the bikers there.
Don't miss a ride through the Rurtal. Head down from Rohren via Hammer and Dedenborn. Or start on the square in Monschau. Then around the Lake to finish at the Biker Ranch again.
Froitscheider Strasse in Schmidt. Just follow all the other bikes.
I grew up in the region and go back every couple of years. Two things spoiled it for me:
Speed cameras, beware! They are not yellow and hidden well.
Windmills! There huge ones all over the place.
Luxemburg is OK but if you want to get into fairy-tale country go the extra mile into Lichtenstein.

Rob

#7 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:32 pm

Thanks guys, lots there to keep us busy.

We already have a dinner date with a fellow Carpedian on Teusday evening!

#8 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:51 am

If you have access to a large format printer these maps are great and can be downloaded for free;

http://www.fim-europ...g/european-maps

I can print them at work on A3 if you like and post them - A2 would be better though.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#9 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:02 pm

You'll enjoy it regardless. Here are a couple of maps with some of my favourite roads on.

https://drive.google...p4g&usp=sharing

https://drive.google...IdA&usp=sharing

#10 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:35 pm

Thanks guys. We made it and got here yesterday evening through some of the heaviest downpours I've ever ridden in. BSM's 03 niner is suffering a bit and dropping a cylinder in the worst of it. The HT leads were covered in self amalgamating tape recently but a crack has appeared in the tape on one. We patched it up this morning with insulation tape but in another downpour today, the fault returned although not as bad as yesterday. We're meeting Trev for dinner and he's got the proper tape with him, bless him!

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:55 pm

The correct fix is replace leads with high quality stuff (loike magnecor) ... Then tape if you feel the need. Tape on old leads just masks the existing problem, broken down leads!

Anyways fingers crossed fur some good wedder fur ewes two.

Oi might be over at the weekend so lettuce snow if ya need oubt and oil bring it over. ;-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:24 pm

Cheers Dappers. We're heading to a quad shop tomorrow to see if they're got any decent HT cable. It's the new lead that came with the new coil that's acting the maggot. let us know if you around and we'll hook up. We've already and dinner with Trevini and his good lady. Small world innit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users