2136 replies to this topic

#1741 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:05 pm

Hi to all. My name is Haydn and I live in South Wales, UK. I'd like to share some pics with you of a TDM850 project that I've recently completed. It is a 1994 (L Reg) MK1 in cyan that I bought as a none-runner (no spark) from eBay. The electrical problem turned out to be a broken earth (black wire) to the ignition unit. After starting it the engine sounded pretty sweet so I decided to do a bit of work on her and keep her for a while as I've always liked these. I prefer the smaller turnable fairing/ screen style so I fitted one off a Triumph Street Triple. Other mods/ alterations are:

Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust, Dominator/Street fighter Headlights, Suzuki 1200 Bandit headlight brackets, Digital Clocks, Renthal Bars, Home Made Crash Bars, Hagon Shock, Seat & Cover, Custom Paint by myself (was a professional painter but recently had to give it up for health reasons).

The frame was stripped of all unwanted brackets and sprayed with Upol Raptor, so was the engine cases. Tyres are Heidenau Scout K60's which seem to give fairly good grip for a chunky like these.

As previously mentioned I did not strip the engine but I did change the valve seals. This I did without removing the cylinder head so I've added a few pics here to show the trick if anyone needs to do the same. Here's a brief 'How To':

1. Rotate engine till no1 cylinder is TDC (top dead centre).
2. Take off the cams, shims, buckets etc until you have access to the tops of the valves and tie cam chain to stop it dropping. 
3. Carefully rotate engine backwards (keep in mind the loosely tied cam chain) until the piston is about half way down the cylinder.
4. Thread some soft rope (golf ball sized amount) through the spark plug hole.
5. Slowly rotate the engine forward and bring the piston up until it squeezes the rope snug against the valves inside the head.

The valve springs can now be compressed and removed to renew the seals. The tool was made from a piece of pipe and a flat bit of bar.

Note: The tool pics was taken after finishing the left cylinder and before threading the rope into the right cylinder.

If anyone has any questions about the whole thing, don't hesitate.

Thanks to everyone and take care.

attachicon.gif 01.jpgattachicon.gif 03.jpgattachicon.gif 06.jpgattachicon.gif 07.jpgattachicon.gif 11.jpgattachicon.gif 14.jpgattachicon.gif 12.jpgattachicon.gif 15.jpgattachicon.gif 16.jpgattachicon.gif 18.jpg

Looks fantastic!

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#1742 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:23 pm

Hi There , 

iTS  Cesar ( MEDMONIC ) .

Nice to know that iam not he only one that likes to play with TDMs 

In the moment i have 3 Mk1 models , one of them iam building from zero , lots of mods included ....

and stil have one XTZ 750 Supertenere wainting for a TDM engine ....

cheers 

#1743 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:40 pm

:welcome:  Welcome to the forum Cesar, got any photos of the four bikes to share  :good:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#1744 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:52 pm

Hello dare and welcome.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1745 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:47 pm

Hi Cesar!
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#1746 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:54 pm

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1747 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:53 pm

:welcome:  Welcome to the forum Cesar, got any photos of the four bikes to share  :good:

HI Gdogg , i have plenty  photos ans some videos , but i dont know how to post here .......

#1748 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Cesar

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#1749 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the club Cesar.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1750 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:55 pm

Hail Cesar! :)

Welcome to the forum

#1751 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:47 am

Hi 

I'm Jacob and I have yet to buy a TDM 900. My SV 650 was recently stolen and I'm looking to replace with a TDM 

#1752 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the club.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1753 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:52 pm

Greetings Jacob

Seen this one?

http://www.carpe-tdm...topic=35319&hl=

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1754 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:07 pm

Hello dare Jacob.

Might be worth posting summat in the wanted section if nothing suitable in the fur snail section.

Sorry to ear about the SV.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1755 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:31 pm

Hi Jacob, plenty about, shoite news about the SV.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1756 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. And yeah I really liked that bike (SV) and I only had it third party so I've got to eat the cost

Unfortunately the bike in question (Alex's TDM) has just been sold. A real clean one from what I could see with some good mods 

Ideally I'm on the lookout for a euro 3 model I can get 20k miles a year out of for the next 2 or 3 years so I'm looking at the low end of 20k miles on the clock

I did have an offer accepted for a TDM 900 this morning but they are really messing around now as it was contingent on them sending me some more photos of minor damage and info on when/if chain and sprocket was done. Phoned them twice to nudge them on it and still nothing. £3500 for a euro 3 22k mile delivered any good? aftermarket exhaust and box fitted. I'd want/need to fit centre stand, engine bars, heated grips and windshield extender 

I'll post on wanted section A) if you feel I've got a rubbish deal or B) they don't get back to me soon

On browsing the forum for the best places to get those mods listed I saw something about a Polish guy who whips them up? Is that still a thing? I mean I weld myself but there's no way I'd try it on my new TDM centre stand...

Edited by jpor, 19 February 2018 - 04:52 pm.

#1757 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:38 pm

Rafal does a good job making the centrestands and his prices were pretty good.  :)  http://www.rm-g.pl/y...alna-podstawka/

You might get more info if you tell us the year of the euro 3 TDM you're contemplating buying, or possibly a link to said bike.

#1758 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:00 pm

Hi Studley, 

I did see his website but my polish isn't so great. Are the engine bars any good?

https://www.autotrad...tandard-listing

This is the bike in question, they had a technical fault as it happens the email didn't send their end. I've given them my deposit now so hopefully they'll do the oil and filter then give it a check over and send it off to me. Really quite excited

#1759 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:11 pm

Not had a set of engine bars myself but lots of members on here have.  Nice, tidy looking bike...congratulations. :)

#1760 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:19 pm

9er Engine bars are excellent in my opinion fitted to mine.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users