#21 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:33 am

......Oh....that’s all so interesting.....the very idea of ‘more than one bike’.....

.....and what it says about how and why each of us (‘cept for the odd, hard nosed, ‘cheapest way to get to work‘ rationalist)

clings to our love affair with all-things ‘bikey’.....whether for the machine(s) themselves, or for what we feel it says about ourselves.

(that’s in addition to the joy of the ride, of course)

For me, the notion of a garage (or two) stacked with a multiplicity of machines, most of which never run /move, 

has no appeal at all -  not knocking it, just not my bag.....(**)

and for some, the stable is, from time to time, thinned out or added to....for whatever reason....loss of interest, cash for a new addition...whatever.

Alternatively, some (myself included) lavish all. our bikey emotions on the single two-wheeled love object (4TX)

fantasising about it’s perfectability, or the possibility of achieving it, and , if resources / skills allow, working in that direction.........or just dreaming on......

(**) in spite of which (see earlier post) in my garage sits a pristine 1979 GS750, 5k miles, maybe less, bought new by me, jota bars, engine protectors, 4 into one

.......only time it’s moved in the last 20 years, was when I had to swap garages, started easily, ran sweetly.....and then I pushed it the short distance

between the two......

#22 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:58 am

i did recently get up to 4 bikes due to  my laziness and a Triumph dealer making me an offer I couldn't refuse - but I've settled now on the TDM and a Tiger Sport. I tend to use the Tiger Sport for longer distance/holidays and the TDM was for commuting - although obviously that's changed recently and will do permanently as I''m retiring come the beginning of August. I'm thinking of a change but not sure what to.....if I had the room I'd keep the TDM especially as I don't believe it will be a sellers market for a while.

There was a time when I had 4 bikes.  It felt great!!

There was my R1150GS bought in preparation for our South America trip.  There was my NC27 CB-1 (stiffer front fork springs, early Fireblade rear shock: straight swap with the original) that was my day to day bike.

Then there was an R1100GS that I bought via a mechanic friend: the customer had wanted to sell it and a very reasonable price, so I bought it, but only because I knew I could get more for it. I was tempted to keep it but sold it on. LAst but not least a Cagiva Planet 125.  I bought it leaner legal for my then girlfriend to learn on. She did her CBT, but never got into the riding thing and preferred pillion. 

Again, tempted to keep it and derestrict it, but money and frowns made me sell it on. Weird little bike and typically fickle.  Sometimes the starter button would not work and somehow I found that the only way to get it going was to push the starter button then dab the horn and it fired up. Nuts....

#23 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:32 am

There was a time when I had 4 bikes.  It felt great!!

There was my R1150GS bought in preparation for our South America trip.  There was my NC27 CB-1 (stiffer front fork springs, early Fireblade rear shock: straight swap with the original) that was my day to day bike.

Then there was an R1100GS that I bought via a mechanic friend: the customer had wanted to sell it and a very reasonable price, so I bought it, but only because I knew I could get more for it. I was tempted to keep it but sold it on. LAst but not least a Cagiva Planet 125.  I bought it leaner legal for my then girlfriend to learn on. She did her CBT, but never got into the riding thing and preferred pillion. 

Again, tempted to keep it and derestrict it, but money and frowns made me sell it on. Weird little bike and typically fickle.  Sometimes the starter button would not work and somehow I found that the only way to get it going was to push the starter button then dab the horn and it fired up. Nuts....

the magic that is italian electrics 

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:23 pm

A TDM 900, and a second one I'm selling, and a KTM 620 Duke, and an electrified FZ600 which I was going to pull apart, but rumour is Edinburgh silly Council are going to be seriously considering a low emissions zone just like Captain Khan made in London, so I'll hang on to that for now.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#25 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:13 am

and an electrified FZ600 which I was going to pull apart, but rumour is Edinburgh silly Council are going to be seriously considering a low emissions zone just like Captain Khan made in London, so I'll hang on to that for now.

That sounds interesting. Any pics?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:56 am

That sounds interesting. Any pics?

I do somewhere, I'll post some up.

Here's a short video. I never got to the road legal stage.

This was a test of the first lithium pack I made. It used 4 of these in series/parallel to get about 70Volts and a peak of 300 Amps. The motor was from a golf cart, 48V nominal but 70V made it a bit more interesting, if i limited current under hard acceleration the brushes didn't arc ! :)

And this was the battery construction. I would say 'never again' but I need to rebuild one pack at least. Just like that joke where a car driver pulls over and asks for directions and the person they ask says "If I were you I wouldn't start from here"..... A DC motor and self built batteries are not the way to go !  I used an old SCR based 'chopper' speed controller from a small fork lift to keep it under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNaoNWTz8o

Edited by fixitsan, 23 May 2020 - 10:59 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#27 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:16 am

two 3VD TDM's,   1 4TX TDM, 1 1980 XJ650,    1 DRZ400.

......Oh....that’s all so interesting.....the very idea of ‘more than one bike’.....

.....and what it says about how and why each of us (‘cept for the odd, hard nosed, ‘cheapest way to get to work‘ rationalist)

clings to our love affair with all-things ‘bikey’.....whether for the machine(s) themselves, or for what we feel it says about ourselves.

(that’s in addition to the joy of the ride, of course)

For me, the notion of a garage (or two) stacked with a multiplicity of machines, most of which never run /move, 

has no appeal at all -  not knocking it, just not my bag.....(**)

and for some, the stable is, from time to time, thinned out or added to....for whatever reason....loss of interest, cash for a new addition...whatever.

Alternatively, some (myself included) lavish all. our bikey emotions on the single two-wheeled love object (4TX)

fantasising about it’s perfectability, or the possibility of achieving it, and , if resources / skills allow, working in that direction.........or just dreaming on......

(**) in spite of which (see earlier post) in my garage sits a pristine 1979 GS750, 5k miles, maybe less, bought new by me, jota bars, engine protectors, 4 into one

.......only time it’s moved in the last 20 years, was when I had to swap garages, started easily, ran sweetly.....and then I pushed it the short distance

between the two......

between the two van doors of it's new owner...?  can we see some pics of it if possible please.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#28 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:22 am

If a modest lottery win were to come my way and I could stomach giving the same dealership yet more of my money after the CCT debacle, then I will say they have a very nice Versys 1000 in there and a Guzzi Bellagio. Typically customs are not my thing, but the Bellagio is understated, yet stylish enough to catch my eye and I think that the 70-odd BHP probably come with enough torque to make for a very relaxing ride.

Would make a nice tourer with a unassuming screen fitted.

The Versys appeals because of the sheer power in a nimble set-up that doesn't require that I sit in a position that puts my backside further off the ground than my chin....

A friend of mine had a Bellagio until a couple of years ago.It was a nice looker but he found it a bit too heavy. Also the usual Italian gremlins of poor reliability and dodgy electrics were ever present. Eventually it got the better of him and he traded up to an MT07.

#29 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:26 am

A friend of mine had a Bellagio until a couple of years ago.It was a nice looker but he found it a bit too heavy. Also the usual Italian gremlins of poor reliability and dodgy electrics were ever present. Eventually it got the better of him and he traded up to an MT07.

I'm cured!  Thanks!

:lol:

#30 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:35 am

Got my 09 9er and this little girl - a 500 Bullet. She loves back lane pottering at 50mph on a sunny day. She has no electric start, a flickering candle for a headlight, but does almost 80mpg and is sooo comfortable she's like your favourite arm chair! 

Attached File  IMG_0333.JPG   210.76KB   4 downloads

Oh and a new Triumph Bonneville T100 should arrive today around tea time - piccies to follow.  :D

#31 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:59 pm

Got my well sorted 02 Niner and and 16 plate Royal Enfield Classic 500 chrome for Sunday back lane pottering.
The Niner was supposed to be going to the Picos de europa this year but that's out.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#32 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:16 am

No holidays to pay for this year, not using the car, not going to the pub or cinema or theatre, and no interest from the bank all led to buying this beauty which was delivered on Sunday......

Attached File  IMG_1652.JPG   243KB   4 downloads

#33 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:19 am

Nice looking bike!

#34 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:06 pm

Congratulations Riggers. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#35 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:18 pm

Got my well sorted 02 Niner and and 16 plate Royal Enfield Classic 500 chrome for Sunday back lane pottering.
The Niner was supposed to be going to the Picos de europa this year but that's out.

When were you supposed to be going Lee?

No holidays to pay for this year, not using the car, not going to the pub or cinema or theatre, and no interest from the bank all led to buying this beauty which was delivered on Sunday......

attachicon.gif IMG_1652.JPG

Nice one Riggers lurvley :good:

#36 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:08 pm

nice riggers, cracking bike mate 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#37 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:23 pm

As signature... ‘04 TDM900; ‘85 Honda XL600R and an ‘08 Buell Ulysses XT.  :)

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#38 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:51 pm

Got my 09 9er and this little girl - a 500 Bullet. She loves back lane pottering at 50mph on a sunny day. She has no electric start, a flickering candle for a headlight, but does almost 80mpg and is sooo comfortable she's like your favourite arm chair! 

attachicon.gif IMG_0333.JPG

Oh and a new Triumph Bonneville T100 should arrive today around tea time - piccies to follow.  :D

That's a nice looking bike. I've heard stories about reliability issues, poor quality etc but having sold my Ducati and with some dosh in my pocket I quite like the idea of a Bullet. Any tips on what to look for?

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#39 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:28 pm

That's a nice looking bike. I've heard stories about reliability issues, poor quality etc but having sold my Ducati and with some dosh in my pocket I quite like the idea of a Bullet. Any tips on what to look for?

Hi mate. Well mine's quite old now in its own right as I bought it new in 2000, and I think quality wise it's a world away from what Enfield's are turning out now. The bike in the pic is as near a copy of a 1950s Reddich Bullet as you'll find, plus a few more up to date niceties such as 12 volt electrics and a twin leading shoe front brake.

However, in 2000, the quality control of bikes made in India was quite woeful, and over the years some things have failed which on most other bikes you wouldn't dream of. Most of the rubber fittings have rotted away and been replaced. The kick start paul snapped, and the paintwork originally was poor. But, then again, you've got to bare in mind that it only cost £2,800 brand new (in 2000).

On the plus side it's simple, there's no electronic gimmickry, and you can fix just about anything with only a very basic knowledge of motorcycles, and just a few simple tools. I've been lucky as in my case reliability has been good (apart from the kick starter problem above). I've even been to Scotland on her without any problems. And it doesn't burn any oil.

Watch out for one bogey man model they introduced - the Electra X with the 'lean burn engine'. The engineering was awful - a friend of mine bought one and found out that the crank was running out of alignment (!) as well as other basic faults. Luckily he's an an engineer and was able to fix it but for any Joe Bloggs it would have been a disaster.

Overall I think the new bikes they're making now seem ok, and before I bought the Bonneville pictured above I had a test ride on a 650 Interceptor and I quite liked it. I went for the Triumph in the end due to the quality. If it's a Bullet you're after just remember that they only put out about 22 bhp (even the new ones)  which in modern traffic is hardly enough. They are definitely country lane potter about machines not road burners.

Hope some of that helps mate - and whatever you buy happy biking!  :)

#40 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:34 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments about the Bonneville guys. However you'll all be sorry to learn that you haven't got rid of me yet as I've still go the Niner!

Once I've got some miles up on the Bonnie I'll post up a review for anybody who's interested.

Riggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users