dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:36 pm

Nice one! What were you doing wrong?

Excuse me :D nothing but if anyone ever gets stuck at the same place i'm sure i can help em out ;)

Veritas mantler par excellance :clapping:

Merci boo coop monsewer :wub:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#322 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:50 pm

Well i think i've earned the name Captain slow by now, ho hum perfection was never made in a day, bit behind schedule but that's okay.

Working snuggly, opted for the mark one stopper wheel and spring, can always change down the road if needed.

Attached File  20190913_134725.jpg   136.12KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190913_174748.jpg   137.66KB   0 downloads

All snugged up

Attached File  20190913_174551.jpg   144.47KB   0 downloads

oopsala :D

Attached File  20190913_190912.jpg   119KB   0 downloads

Who forgot to order balance shaft o'rings then, them's seriously goobered, pretty sure i can just pull the shafts out later actually so i'll crack on, it's really quite slow going when ya having to check and re-check ad finitum, still enjoying though :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#323 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:17 pm

Some more progress

Attached File  20190914_152436.jpg   124.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190914_150751.jpg   116.48KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190915_142814.jpg   160.65KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190915_145926.jpg   168.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190915_172301.jpg   158.56KB   0 downloads

#324 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:35 pm

Great progress dabbers. Lookin good. Alot of work in that.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#325 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:11 pm

Yep indeed, plodding along, would liked to have put the pistons on along with the head but i'm gonna have to flip the engine over again to torque the balance shafts and put new seals as forgot them in the initial order..

Can somebody with a bit more knowledge give an opinion on this thrust washer for the starter clutch on the back of the rotor (flywheel) below is a picture of it in-situ inside the sprag clutch which then has the large starter gear inserted on top, it's the black ring in the middle which is quite thin. i thought perhaps the thrust washer would be as wide as the face it sit's on ?

Attached File  20190914_153947.jpg   187.1KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190914_154023.jpg   125.98KB   0 downloads

That part above is listed for 92 850 and when you click on the part on Fowlers it the shows a fiche for the FJ1200 transmission which it also fits plus a whole bunch of Yam utility vehicles which is normal, the 2001 thrust washer (below)  looks a bit more substantial ie, wider and thicker looking at it in a photo.. wonder if its more suitable !!

Attached File  2001 Thrust washer.jpg   8.25KB   0 downloads

#326 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:37 pm

Okay so your all as fookin useless as me then :P

Prolly not to clear where i was going with that prev post, basically was wondering if Haynes had made "one" of their mistakes re thrust washer as the placement seemed a bit odd to me, the 4tx service manual explains this somewhat more clearly along with order of refit as opposed to a bad photo in Haynes.. ordered the other thrust washer as well to see which i prefer to fit..... 

carry on, carry on....

#327 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:03 pm

Coming along nicely  :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#328 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:07 pm

Sorry dabbers can't remember washer at all.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#329 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:10 pm

No worries daps, washer must of fallen off at some point and it's all learning, interestingly the 4tx manual also makes mention of which way to check the sprag clutch as it's a one way assembly, imagine bolting that all up and having to remove the blinkin rotor to change if assembled wrong :huh:

Other bits arrived now so will crack on getting the engine finished up..

#330 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:19 pm

Okay so your all as fookin useless as me then :P

Prolly not to clear where i was going with that prev post, basically was wondering if Haynes had made "one" of their mistakes re thrust washer as the placement seemed a bit odd to me, the 4tx service manual explains this somewhat more clearly along with order of refit as opposed to a bad photo in Haynes.. ordered the other thrust washer as well to see which i prefer to fit..... 

carry on, carry on....

i guess yule have been cross referencing the 3LD, 3VD, 4TX and maybe even the 5PS manuals  to help figure it all out?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#331 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:55 pm

Yep indeed, plodding along, would liked to have put the pistons on along with the head but i'm gonna have to flip the engine over again to torque the balance shafts and put new seals as forgot them in the initial order..

Can somebody with a bit more knowledge give an opinion on this thrust washer for the starter clutch on the back of the rotor (flywheel) below is a picture of it in-situ inside the sprag clutch which then has the large starter gear inserted on top, it's the black ring in the middle which is quite thin. i thought perhaps the thrust washer would be as wide as the face it sit's on ?

That part above is listed for 92 850 and when you click on the part on Fowlers it the shows a fiche for the FJ1200 transmission which it also fits plus a whole bunch of Yam utility vehicles which is normal, the 2001 thrust washer (below)  looks a bit more substantial ie, wider and thicker looking at it in a photo.. wonder if its more suitable !!

attachicon.gif 2001 Thrust washer.jpg

If the washer was as wide as the face it sits on, it's prolly going to stop the woodruff key from sliding into the groove.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#332 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:36 pm

i guess yule have been cross referencing the 3LD, 3VD, 4TX and maybe even the 5PS manuals  to help figure it all out?

Aye Ken, the 4nx and 5ps both share that same thrust washer which i think will slot in just nicely and i assume it was an upgrade from previous..

If the washer was as wide as the face it sits on, it's prolly going to stop the woodruff key from sliding into the groove.

Studs the woodruff key slides in on the inner diameter, i meant the face it sits on as in from the inner diameter where it sits on the shaft to where it would meet the springs in the sprag clutch.. the 3vd washer looks to be a bit weak compared to the other 4nx washer, but one of em will need to go in..

#333 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:11 pm

Ferfooksache :rant: :rant: :rant:

Attached File  20190919_145940.jpg   136.58KB   4 downloads

Man it's grating on me bloody nerves a bit now..

#334 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:30 pm

Oops!!!

Devonia this weekend but can have a dig next week if time allows dabbers? Else get yersen down here and help yersen.

#335 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:18 pm

Have a dig please daps, meanwhile i'll get looking around, if i had a spare bike would be nippin down for sure, oh Aircooled :D

#336 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:36 pm

Have a dig please daps, meanwhile i'll get looking around, if i had a spare bike would be nippin down for sure, oh Aircooled :D

Cliff he'll not let you take that 'Glitterball TDM' to Devon!  :rotflmmfao:   

Is it possible to TIG weld that broken bit on the basket or would it throw it off balance?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#337 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:19 am

Can't ya break summit cheap? 

I'd have the toys out of the pram. 

I hope a replacement isn't too painful.

Chin up and stiff upper etc.

Tea an cake required soldier

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#338 dablik

dablik

• 10,757 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:31 am

Cliff he'll not let you take that 'Glitterball TDM' to Devon!  :rotflmmfao:   

Is it possible to TIG weld that broken bit on the basket or would it throw it off balance?

At least the "Glitterball" would get a decent run eh  :) I'll ask him he's nippin round later.

To fragile to weld Ken, doubt it could be trusted either.

I'd have the toys out of the pram. 

I hope a replacement isn't too painful.

Chin up and stiff upper etc.

Tea an cake required soldier

Aye Al i was so angry, they heard me in France, made a diy holding tool and the bugger slipped, end up costing more in the long run than just buying the proper tool.. am well annoyed, it's taking over me life again now... oh well gotta crack on.

#339 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:41 am

Be greatful it's a bike not a boat, I got quoted £850 for an oil cooler when one of mine was leaking, luckily I managed a reasonable repair for a fiver but it was touch and go ( it was touch'n'cloth as well), a dead tacho was going to be £300 and the new one wouldn't match the other one so I'd have to buy a pair (fitted Wema's at £70 each), new fuel tanks were £1500 plus the hassle of lifting two engines out to get to them (at 1/2 ton each) over water.

Bikes are easy! Keep away from Volvo Penta.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#340 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:01 am

as the old saying goes if it has wheels floats or fuc$! rent rather than buy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users