• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:15 pm

Maybe someone here can help....

I've scoured the owners manual, the Haynes service book and even a very detailed Moto Revue Technique but I can't find instructions about pulling wheelies !

I know some people think that this is frightfully bad form, but when I'm having such a good time on my TDM I feel it's my duty to let people know that sheer joy can come from riding a fine motorcycle.

So, over to you.... what are the exact steps to take to pop a convincing wheelie with a TDM 850 ?

#2 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:02 pm

A humpback bridge, 2nd / 3rd gear and weight back. Make sure you know where the back brake is and be able to use it with good feel. If you just drop the front it comes down like a sack of hammers. The bike will weave and wander if you're into sustained wheelies.

Don't clutch it up, it's snatchy and cruel.

With a bit of practice 2nd gear wheelies just using the energy from compressed suspension are quite easy and civilised.

Chris Poppa Wheelie Birch

Pretty sure this fulla explains it better.

BTW - You're a hooligan! :lol:

The only way I can comment on this due to a lot of practice on me trials bike. A lot less intimidating.

P.S. If you do hoist it off a humpback bridge the back end drops down and you go vertical, or beyond, very quickly. Just sayin.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 06 September 2019 - 12:48 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:56 am

Hope yer gearbox is up to it!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:45 am

Yer a scally :D crikey not popped a wheelie for years, well not on purpose.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:59 am

A humpback bridge, 2nd / 3rd gear and weight back. Make sure you know where the back brake is and be able to use it with good feel. If you just drop the front it comes down like a sack of hammers. The bike will weave and wander if you're into sustained wheelies.

Don't clutch it up, it's snatchy and cruel.

With a bit of practice 2nd gear wheelies just using the energy from compressed suspension are quite easy and civilised.

Chris Poppa Wheelie Birch

Pretty sure this fulla explains it better.

BTW - You're a hooligan! :lol:

The only way I can comment on this due to a lot of practice on me trials bike. A lot less intimidating.

P.S. If you do hoist it off a humpback bridge the back end drops down and you go vertical, or beyond, very quickly. Just sayin.

At 8:33 in that vid he locks his rear wheel but doesn't mention why.....advanced technique not for mere mortals like us, or just a mistake as he gets his feet into position ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:30 pm

There's a guy (from Morocco I think) in the Tdm FB page regularly posting pics of stonking wheelies on his 3vd. Maybe we should ask him on his technique. :)

#7 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:54 pm

At 8:33 in that vid he locks his rear wheel but doesn't mention why.....advanced technique not for mere mortals like us, or just a mistake as he gets his feet into position ?

Been awhile since I watched it. will have a re-squizz and report back. 

Yeah, the cog grumbler needs to be considered, that's why I really dislike clutching a bike up. The TDM has more than enough torque to poppa wheelie with good technique.

Re-squizz opinion. I suspect that was either a tad too much pressure on the pedal, dirtbike boots have no feel, or maximising the shock squat.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 07 September 2019 - 06:37 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:44 pm

Thanks Folks,

That's just what I needed.  However the only hump-backed bridge round here is officially classed as a "Monument Historique"....I'll bet the Romans and Gauls had competitions seeing who could get best air with their chariots....  so I'll just have to wait till the tourists have buggered off before getting some practice in.

Hooligan, Mr Krumpet ?  Surely not, it's just joie de vivre !

#9 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:10 am

Thanks Folks,

That's just what I needed.  However the only hump-backed bridge round here is officially classed as a "Monument Historique"....I'll bet the Romans and Gauls had competitions seeing who could get best air with their chariots....  so I'll just have to wait till the tourists have buggered off before getting some practice in.

Hooligan, Mr Krumpet ?  Surely not, it's just joie de vivre !

Shirley that's why we are all here and ride bikes? Personally, I can resist everything except temptation.

The humpy bridges are on my mind because I have 3 of them, 2 minutes away, I can only wheelie off one at a time. Used to be a great one in Northumberland, it's almost a V. Epic for staining the undercracks. It owes me 2 rear mudguards and a set of handlebars from back in the 2t trailie days.

When I practice wheelies I use a "kicker", quite literally a bump to compress the forks on. On the dirt bikes it could be a tyre or 4x4 beam. For the TDM sleeping policemen are great. Even one of those small compressions in the road which makes your forks thud as you blithely ride over it.

That's how I cottoned on to wheelying the TDM, I don't like to pop road bikes, the bugger flaps the bars if I hit an undulation in the road with the gas on. One thing led to another...

Anyhoo, it's one of those things you start small and stay cautious. Once you can get it up 6 inches the rest is just doing more of the same.  Lary, big throttle wheelies are for the pros on someone else's bike.

After watching Birchys video again, keeping the clutch covered is just as important as the rear brake, he's coming from an off road perspective "oh shit, a log!" the clutch gives you snap but leads to maintenance and heart break. It is a kill switch, as is the back brake, when the old girl lifts her skirts and you're staring at the tank with bug eyes but can't see where your going.

Oh, if you do start trying poppa wheelie, keep your head up looking as far ahead as you can, grip ze tank with your knees but stay relaxed, don't chop the throttle - use the clutch or rear brake to control lift off. Chop the throttle and it's hammer time. Focus on the bike and you lose your balance, get too tense and you make the bike wander. 

After all this? Go spend a day on a trials bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users