• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:33 pm

Over the last couple of days my tacho has started dancing the dance,as soon as I noticed it I thought TPS problems .Anyway had a read on here to find out what it needed to be set at,in the course of searching I came across the info regarding the solenoid so took it off split it and cleaned ,packed it with Vaseline but no joy.So why would the TPS suddenly go out of kilter ? its not like they are out in the open as on some bikes and might get knocked 😕

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:19 pm

Could be a dodgy TPS wiring connection.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:03 pm

Could be a dodgy TPS wiring connection.

Yeh could be, might sling a new solenoid at it and see if that cures it if not its out with the multi meter I suppose

#4 giza

giza

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 147 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:01 am

Back in the 2000's (2003/4?)Yamaha had to recall/fix a range of bikes that had dodgy TPS systems. I had a brand new FZ600 around then and the damn thing nearly killed me ...literally, till the shop replaced the TPS. I'm almost certain the TDM was on the list with this same problem.

I'd bought the FZ out of the crate. I was told it was one of the first 4 in Qld at the time. The damn thing would suddenly rev up or drop to idle in traffic regardless of where I had the throttle...an absolute nightmare. Less than 6 mths after the shop put in a replacement (after we had tried everything else) I got a letter from Yamaha to take the bike in for the fix. Some time later I got involved in a sort of shunt (nowt to do with the TPS) at the lights and not long after repairs I traded up for my 2006 TDM.

Might pay to get the thing checked out and replaced...just in case. I think this issued is pinned somewhere on here?

HTH John H

#5 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:08 am

Thanks for that matey I'll look into it ☺

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:40 am

Get into the diag mode and check the tps numbers increase smoothly, should be something like 15-17 at closed throttle and 97-99 wide open.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:53 pm

Can you be more specific with the problem?

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#8 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:28 pm

The tacho has started doing the TPS dance,sitting on 3k for a few seconds then dropping for a few seconds etc etc I know its tps related but didn't know about the solenoid being involved so have tried that first before pulling all the bodywork off but no joy.So this afty I've pulled the bodywork etc to get at the tps and it has been renewed at some point I would say by looking at it its fairly recent as its very clean and new looking the security torx have been mullered though with a slot cut into them 😠, I haven't bothered resetting it I figure as its been fine up till the last couple of days it is set correctly.I'm now leaning towards it being the solenoid being past fettling and being fubard which would explain the problem rearing its head.I have tested the tps with the mm and all is well☺so I'll order a solenoid I do however have a question regarding a carb hose,the hose in the pic ......should it connect to anything ? I think it should as it has a mark around it where a hose clip has been at some point 😕

Attached Files

#9 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:02 pm

Is that not an overflow or vent.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:16 pm

Throttle position sensor does not supply a signal to tachometer. This comes from Ecu and ultimately the crank sensor. I would disconnect battery and check connector block to Ecu and also connector block to meter housing. Look for dirty connection.
Throttle position has to do with ignition advance in the 850.

Edited by leehenty, 19 April 2015 - 06:17 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#11 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:35 pm

Now I am lost lol so the tacho doing its diagnostic thing isnt as the manual says ,faulty tps or wiring then ?the last time I had this on an xjr1300 it did the same tacho dance,replaced the tps and all back to normal

#12 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:54 pm

I thought it was a code similar to the 9er & different sweeps mean different faults. Could be wrong though.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#13 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:10 pm

And as rolfie.
Didn't realise it was an 850.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#14 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:54 pm

Sorry didn't say shes an 850 4tx mk2

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:41 pm

Throttle position sensor does not supply a signal to tachometer. This comes from Ecu and ultimately the crank sensor. I would disconnect battery and check connector block to Ecu and also connector block to meter housing. Look for dirty connection.
Throttle position has to do with ignition advance in the 850.

If the tps and/or tps wiring is faulty, the tacho displays the 'dance' that jellypops describes. Have you tried checking the wiring connections jelly ? :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:01 pm

Yeh had a quick gander this afty before gp I'll go over them all properly tomorrow after tea,I'm really leaning towards the solenoid tbh it was well verdigreed( is that even a word lol )and was probably beyond recovery,I'll go through all the connection etc and if all OK I'll order a solenoid,on the plus side with everything off I can set and balance carbs,throw a new set of plugs and air filter in then at least I know they've been done ☺

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:09 pm

Where did you read/hear about the solenoid causing the tacho to display a TPS fault ?  Never heard of it before. :unsure2:

#18 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:29 am

On here somewhere ☺ I hadn't come across it before and thought it strange

#19 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:04 am

The "dance of the tacho" has nothing to see with the solenoid.

It only indicates that there is a problem with the TPS itself or with the harness : no reading is possible by the ECU.

Refer to the workshop manual, pages 8-44 & 8-45 for checking the TPS.

top_640.png

#20 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:08 am

Thanks for that jbx ,I thought it was bloody strange I've just been searching for where I read it and can't find it now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users