11 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralBozo

GeneralBozo

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:49 pm

Evening all!

A few chums and me are thinking about the Ride Magazine 6-day tour of northern Spain - they call it Picos 6 days but it only skims past the Picos mountains. We've booked the ferries to Santander for early July.

picos 6days

Day One   Santander to Panes   100 miles   Download the GPX file

Day Two AM   Day Two PM   Panes to Luarca   195 miles   Download the GPX file

Day Three   Luarca to Santiago de Compostela   190 miles   Download the GPX file

Day Four   Santiago de Compostela to Ourense   130 miles   Download the GPX file

Day Five   Ourense to Leon   180 miles   Download the GPX file

Day Six   Leon to Santander   175 miles   Download the GPX file

Any of you lot have any advice on the route, such as:

• Does it miss out any cracking sections?
  • Are the riding days too long or too short?
  • Any good places to stay overnight? We're not camping, just b&b or cheapish hotels. All lads.

I've ridden a bit of the Picos in 2012 and it was fantastic, but then headed south east rather than much further west like this route does. I remember bumping into someone from here in Cosgaya I think! Very random.

Thanks!

Edited by GeneralBozo, 28 May 2018 - 07:58 pm.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:30 pm

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to do really.  Do you want to spend time sightseeing or are you more interested in just riding ?  Personally, I'd avoid places like Santiago de Compostela as it's a tourist magnet.  I'd also be more inclined to spend a couple of nights in the same place and plan a rideout from there.  The Hotel del Oso, Cosgaya is a great place to stay after you get off the ferry.  It's about 2 hrs from Santander and there are some great roads around there. Potes - Panes - Cangas de Onis - Riano - Potes is a great route and you can stop off at Covadonga or Tresviso for a break and take in some amazing views.

Potes is another place where you can get good hotels for little cost and there are plenty of places to eat and drink in the evening.

I haven't been over to the West before so can't really comment but I did look at staying in or around Cangas del Narcia as the roads around there look great and you can also take in the coast around Luarca from there.

The distances in the Ride routes are easily dooable and you'll have time for a few stops for lunch or a cooling drink.

Whatever you do, take a map. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:23 am

The editor of RIDE mag is a member (Simon W) on the UKGSer forum and he posts up frequently about rides in the Picos etc.  Have a look here, there's loads of info and advice.

http://www.ukgser.co...4e01bf8efc4ac70

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 GeneralBozo

GeneralBozo

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:13 pm

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to do really.  Do you want to spend time sightseeing or are you more interested in just riding ?  Personally, I'd avoid places like Santiago de Compostela as it's a tourist magnet.  I'd also be more inclined to spend a couple of nights in the same place and plan a rideout from there.  The Hotel del Oso, Cosgaya is a great place to stay after you get off the ferry.  It's about 2 hrs from Santander and there are some great roads around there. Potes - Panes - Cangas de Onis - Riano - Potes is a great route and you can stop off at Covadonga or Tresviso for a break and take in some amazing views.

Potes is another place where you can get good hotels for little cost and there are plenty of places to eat and drink in the evening.

I haven't been over to the West before so can't really comment but I did look at staying in or around Cangas del Narcia as the roads around there look great and you can also take in the coast around Luarca from there.

The distances in the Ride routes are easily dooable and you'll have time for a few stops for lunch or a cooling drink.

Whatever you do, take a map. :)

Thanks! Great - the route looks like it does the Potes route you suggest, I've just street-viewed it and it looks mega  :badgerrock: 

The editor of RIDE mag is a member (Simon W) on the UKGSer forum and he posts up frequently about rides in the Picos etc.  Have a look here, there's loads of info and advice.

http://www.ukgser.co...4e01bf8efc4ac70

Awesome - yes there's loads of good stuff there on northern Spain - thanks for link.

Crikey, i didn't realise anyone actually used their GS, or risk getting their GS standard £1k+ clothing dirty 

Edited by GeneralBozo, 29 May 2018 - 07:13 pm.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:28 pm

:lol:  Yeah, they do get ridden, a lot.  You'll deffo meet a good few GS'ers in northern Spain.  Simon W always makes the point that the RIDE routes are just a basic suggestion from which to sculpt your own tour, different bikers ride different roads and distances and some want to take in the culture and history, others just want to ride.  Sure you can't go far wrong in northern Spain though, digs are plentiful and inexpensive and the roads are great with very little traffic.

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:36 pm

GS's do get ridden to Spain.  This was us a couple of years ago. We did a ten day Northern Spain tour. I live in the South so they came down from Blighty and i rode up North and met them on my trusty 3VD. Plenty of quiet roads up there and plenty of places to stay. Be prepared for the heat. And best of all, ENJOY!!

Attached Files

Edited by Pedro, 29 May 2018 - 08:38 pm.

#7 GeneralBozo

GeneralBozo

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:11 pm

Well, I've never seen a dirty GS or one with lots of miles on it  :lol:

Thanks - I'm looking forward to the trip!

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:38 pm

What about digs ?  Are they all pre-booked or can you just turn up and find somewhere to stay ?

I'm thinking about a solo trip to this region myself but I'm not that keen on being tied to an itinery.

Ronnie Weaver.

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:21 pm

You can show up, i've done it for years in Europe or use the likes of Booking.com for which you will pay a small premium but it's very convenient when you've no idea where to find a bed.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:33 pm

You can show up, i've done it for years in Europe or use the likes of Booking.com for which you will pay a small premium but it's very convenient when you've no idea where to find a bed.

Thanks dablik,

Good to know that.  I've prowled about France without any problems but apart from a couple of organised business trips, I've never been to Spain.

Time to broaden my horizons.....

Ronnie Weaver.

#11 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:03 am

Great choice for a tour.

Enjoy those roads ...

P7