Photo
- - - - -

Motorent Of Algarve, Portugal - Warning !

rental portugal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:33 pm

Hi, all ! 

As someone may have noticed, I had a questionable experience when hiring a MT-09 Tracer recently, in Portugal. Upon returning the bike, I had a list of complaints about the bike and gave the owner 1 day to rethink if this rental bike was actually up to quality requirements. Long story short - I put a review on Google, and the owner responded.

Waddya think ? Would you rent a bike from this guy ? Has he got valid points ? 

BTW, a small comment on the point about the rear brake:
The rear brake didn't work properly for two reasons: a) Rear brake disk is completely shot, and b) Brake pedal position was some 1" too low, making it even harder to apply any useful pressure.

(From Google Maps):

for 5 days ago
Nice staff, but bike (Yamaha MT-09 Tracer) was in horrible condition! Tyres worn out, made horrible noise from gearbox or clutch, rear brake was worn out and didn't do much good. Driving it was a pain, when I finally came to rhink of tyre pressure it measured to 1.1bar/2bar, should have been 2.5/2.9. Stay away!
Reply from Owner  4 days ago
Sir Bjørge Sæther The motorcycle that the Lord claims is from the year 2015, is 3 years old. At the time the motorcycle was delivered, the front tire had traveled 4200km and the after road 2300km, and Mr he rented the motorcycle 8 days and did 1184km. The braking of this bike is ABS, and it is not possible to have braking of the rear wheel, but when it locks on a poor road, with gravel, with sand or sidewalk, the Abs acts not to block the wheel. The tablets had 2000 Kilometers and are still in good condition. The noise of the embryo in this model, unfortunately is normal when you are in the neutral. It is the first customer who did not take pleasure in driving this model that has 3 cylinders and has to work, very different from a 2-cylinder engine. The tire pressure was our mistake, which should not have happened and for which we apologize. I can not understand why he complained only on the last day, not the day he detected the problems, or he did not come to our station to change that bike, for another model. I wish everything good for you and that you find your ideal motorbike, and if you return to Portugal, we expect you Your wish is our service

Edited by Bjørge, 11 June 2018 - 02:40 pm.

Bjørge

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:25 pm

You should have got a roadworthy bike with correct tyre pressures and brakes working well.  I guess it's not possible for the hirer to put new rubber on every time a bike is leased but they should be capable of covering your expected mileage without wearing out.

It's easy to say, and you might have been 300km away before you noticed anything, but I would have returned the bike or contacted them as soon as I found a problem.  I'd also check over the tyres, chain and sprockets, and brake pads before leasing.  But, as mentioned, it's easy to say this in retrospect and if one's not used to leasing a bike it might not occur to check these things over and just assume everything is tickety boo.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:44 pm

You should have got a roadworthy bike with correct tyre pressures and brakes working well.  I guess it's not possible for the hirer to put new rubber on every time a bike is leased but they should be capable of covering your expected mileage without wearing out.

It's easy to say, and you might have been 300km away before you noticed anything, but I would have returned the bike or contacted them as soon as I found a problem.  I'd also check over the tyres, chain and sprockets, and brake pads before leasing.  But, as mentioned, it's easy to say this in retrospect and if one's not used to leasing a bike it might not occur to check these things over and just assume everything is tickety boo.

I've rented bikes and cars quite a few times, but this is the first time I had a vehicle with problems. It took some time before I got to think about what to do, and it was never an option to go back. I could have got something sorted, but my wife would loose a day on the road. With the message of "driving a 3-cylinder bike is  sooo special" (the owner stated this when I got it), "rear brakes don't brake because of ABS" (also stated before) and "the horrible noise is plain normal on these bikes" (stated upon return) - it's not very likely that returning would help much.... :huh:

Luckily we had no rain and didn't go very fast, so the threadless front tyre never bothered me (part from making the bike slightly oversteered as it was also V-shaped) - but the rental couldn't possibly know. If I got stopped with this bike in Norway for a roadside technical check, I would expect to have problems with tyres and rear brake.

Edited by Bjørge, 11 June 2018 - 03:48 pm.

Bjørge

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:01 am

I shall henceforth call you sir Bjorgey... Or maybe lord.

I think letting a bike go out on hire with incorrect tyre pressures is a great big red flag.... Even the lazyiest get in the world should check that.

A good walk round next time Bjorgey and ask them to check pressures while you there?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:40 am

I shall henceforth call you sir Bjorgey... Or maybe lord.

I think letting a bike go out on hire with incorrect tyre pressures is a great big red flag.... Even the lazyiest get in the world should check that.

A good walk round next time Bjorgey and ask them to check pressures while you there?

Yeah, much easier to achieve by a Google-fight than by actually achieve something (or chances of being born into the right family)  :lol:

Next time I'll take a good walk around the owner as well  :punishment:

BTW, MC tyre pressure is hard to detect visually (compared to cars)....

Bjørge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users