132 replies to this topic

#121 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:58 pm

might be a bit wasted - but what is it that wears that requires you to change shims - cam followers - valve seats - valve stem contact points - cam wear - cam chain wear but tensioner shoudl take care of that  - sure someone less hopped will respond

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#122 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:12 pm

Could be lots of high revving, poor oil, oil leakage from the valve seals, lean burning etc.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#123 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:12 am

might be a bit wasted - but what is it that wears that requires you to change shims - cam followers - valve seats - valve stem contact points - cam wear - cam chain wear but tensioner shoudl take care of that  - sure someone less hopped will respond

All of the above "wears in" but it's not unusual for valve seats to hammer into the head causing the tightening on inlets on some vehicles..

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#124 Pjshez01

Pjshez01

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 March 2022 - 06:35 am

Hi All

I have to replace 7 valve shims on my 2008 TDM 900. The replica shims on ebay from a UK supplier are considerably cheaper than OEM.

Has anybody experience fitting these alternative shims in relation to their quality/hardness so that the clearance is maintained at least as long as the OEM shims.?

Does any body have any spare that they may wish to sell.?

I need:

175; QTY 2

180;  QTY 1

190;  QTY 2

200;  QTY 2

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Pjshez01, 29 March 2022 - 06:38 am.

#125 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:02 am

Are they Hotcams shims ? They're good to fit if they are.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#126 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:21 am

Hello Paul,

The club can maybe assist...but it'll cost ya!!

OEM shims are initially installed in increments of '1'. They then supply increments of '5' to replace. We have stock of OEM used shims from orig installation (ie increments of '1')....so have the following.....

Your 175x2 we have 174 & 175
Your 180x1 we have 180
Your 190x2 we have 190 & 190
Your 200x2 we have 199 & 200

We also have a variety around those values, so if you want to calculate more accurately..ie ignoring Yamaha's increments of 5 table then lettuce snow and will see what's in stock.

Now the expensive bit.... this service is only available for sporting members so would cost you a fiver....and also yer old shims when they are swapped out. So we can keep providing this service.

My preference would be to install the OEM shims...I would probably install hotcams but dunno how hardened they are but seem widely used...unnamed eBay I would give a miss as if you have gone to the bother of checking and changing you probably want it to be done right.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#127 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:08 pm

The fiver is well worthwhile, not only do you get that warm fuzzy feeling of supporting the site you also get Dappers turning up and tucking you in when it's really cold, honest like....
And the shim swap thing is very handy too.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#128 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 March 2022 - 02:24 pm

Don't forget sudocrem application out calls.....oh and the shims..
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#129 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 March 2022 - 03:00 pm

Where's me gloves..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#130 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 April 2022 - 05:39 pm

Request for advice from the experts if I may.

Just checked the clearances on my 900, and they are all on the tight end of tolerances, with just 2 inlets too tight.

I've got the following 

Inlet.   .13     .15     .15     .15     .15    .14         (0.15-0.20 according to manual)

Exhaust.   .23    .24    .23    .23         (0.23-0.28 according to manual)

Obviously the two inlets that are tight will need sorting, I'm sure I read some advice somewhere to set them to the top end of tolerance as they apparently always close up. 

Any advice?  If I leave as they are (sorting just the two tight ones, are they likely to end up too tight after a few more miles? Got to order some shims anyway so a few extra to make the job last wouldn't be an issue now I've gone this far.

Thanks in advance.

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

#131 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 08:42 am

I would probably get them all done as you're in there anyway. Maybe set them to middle of tolerances.  How many miles on yer steed ?  Dappers may be able to help with swapping shims. :)

#132 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 April 2022 - 01:54 pm

Indeed can possibly help and maybe even with exact sizes.

Is it inlets that tend to close up.....brain fade cant remember...anyways loike SR says middle is a good plan if you are going to check then as per service intervals.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#133 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 April 2022 - 08:30 pm

I would probably get them all done as you're in there anyway. Maybe set them to middle of tolerances.  How many miles on yer steed ?  Dappers may be able to help with swapping shims. :)

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, set to as close to middle as I can get. 24k miles, so most likely first time they've been looked at, and no evidence of any previous tinkering. The shim swap idea is great, but I'm impatient and have ordered what I need. Doesn't break the bank at £3.00 each, and as I can swap 'em round a bit only need a few. Given the mileage I seem to manage these days, I probably won't be having to do them again so might as well do a thorough job.

That coolant pipe is a right pain, mine was well and truly welded in with rust.

Indeed can possibly help and maybe even with exact sizes.

Is it inlets that tend to close up.....brain fade cant remember...anyways loike SR says middle is a good plan if you are going to check then as per service intervals.

Thanks for the offer with shims, but I'm an impatient old git and wouldn't want to pressure a volunteer for fast delivery for the sake of a few quids.

I'll happily donate the redundant shims to the swap bank once the job's finished, If you PM me details of where to send them.

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users