• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richardhuddleston

Richardhuddleston

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:26 pm

Changed fork oil (sludge) on 2004 TDM900.  Refitted all.  Come to tighten wheel spindle up and this -  3mm gap between spacer and fork:

IMAGE 11Attached File  IMG_0011.JPG   115.32KB   0 downloads

When it should look more like like this - spacer flush to fork (bearing seals removed deliberately):

Attached File  IMG_0010.JPG   135.4KB   0 downloads

(I'm sure this gap wasn't there before I had forks off).  So disk rubs on inside of brake calliper.  Other side's ok because spindle's threaded and nips spacer up to fork. There's nothing to stop this side of the spindle going all the way through the fork, so it doesn't nip up.
I've slackened and rotated both forks through 90deg / 180deg / 270deg and checked gap; stays same so forks aren't bent.
Wheel bearings are ok.
A work-around is to torque the wheel spindle up, nip forks together with a g-clamp, THEN nip the spindle clamp screw up to hold it all in place.  But it seems like an unsafe bodge.

Any ideas folks?

UPDATE:
I slackened everything off and removed mudguard, squeezed forks together with a G clamp and nipped spindle clamp up then tightened everything from bottom up, mudguard on last.  Took it for a spiin then slackened spindle and clamp to see what was what.  The gap was still there but not as big.  So I did the G-clamp thing again.
Seems to handle fine (better with new fork oil actually) so I guess that's not an issue.  Something to just be aware of I suppose.  Maybe the bushes had just worn into one place and got disturbed when I stripped the forks and they'll settle back in with time.

Thaks for all the suggestions guys.

Edited by Richardhuddleston, 19 March 2019 - 10:23 am.

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:19 pm

Attached File  2004 front wheel.jpg   54.93KB   0 downloads

Check parts present.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:00 pm

Here you go have a read, scroll down to post 53, mine was'nt so out of alignement as yours but the fix is posted further down, just a matter of undoing and doing up the hardware again..

Edited by dablik, 30 January 2019 - 08:06 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:39 pm

Here you go have a read, scroll down to post 53, mine was'nt so out of alignement as yours but the fix is posted further down, just a matter of undoing and doing up the hardware again..

so i read that from post 53 onwards,  did you get that spacer / fork gap down to zero  then?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:43 pm

1 - Did you not forget to put the collars on both sides ?

2 - Before tightening the wheel axle nut, push down hard on the handlebar several times and check if the front fork rebounds smoothly. This may help all parts to get into the right position.

In case there is still a small gap, clear it by pushing the rhs fork leg inward, then tighten the wheel axle pinch bolt and finally check the front fork rebounds smoothly.

Edited by JBX, 30 January 2019 - 11:45 pm.

top_640.png

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:42 am

so i read that from post 53 onwards,  did you get that spacer / fork gap down to zero  then?

Sure did matey, loosened it all off a 2nd time after a little run out, i had serviced forks, off and back on a multitude of times before that event, the only difference being that i had put a new lower yoke on the bike, in the end the forks just needed loosening up and tweaking to fit properley, must of got them skew wiff at some point.

Edited by dablik, 31 January 2019 - 10:49 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:24 pm

Also tighten the mudguard bolts last

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:01 pm

Dandy is right and I forgot to write that both callipers should be fitted/tightened after the front wheel is in place.

top_640.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Front wheel, Front brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users