#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:11 am

Saturday morning = Finland.

Weve got a lot of stuff in the boxes. Too much.

I want to bring some forward.

To do that Ive attached 5l side bags that hang off the tank cover and partially cover the side fairing air channels.

Attached File  31A43496-C3B4-46CB-88EB-999550F2743E.jpeg   130.56KB   1 downloadsAttached File  80CC09EB-56C5-498A-BEAE-501B44D97DEB.jpeg   110.76KB   0 downloads

(Sorry about the tilt)

I dont know if theyre mainly to look nice, let air through or both.

So if I have these bags hanging down will I risk overheating, particularly in town?

Edited by SeizedBalt, 06 August 2020 - 10:15 am.

#2 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:57 am

So if I have these bags hanging down will I risk overheating, particularly in town?

Not this summer  :lol:

No, seriously: As they don't block air flow entirely, I believe worst case they would cause the fan to run more regularily.

Bjørge

#3 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:11 am

Not this summer  :lol:

No, seriously: As they don't block air flow entirely, I believe worst case they would cause the fan to run more regularily.

Nice!!

This means we can carry food which, I'm told, makes for a far nicer camping holiday!!

We might well cross over to Norway on this trip: Nordkapp is calling!

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:12 pm

The only time my 900 came close to overheating was in town, when I had fitted large double horns which could only fit upstream of the radiator, blocking the through flow to the radiator. Once removed it was fine. I don't think you'll have many problems because there are a lot of other ways for air behind the radiator to escape away with the heat

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:17 pm

Nice!!

This means we can carry food which, I'm told, makes for a far nicer camping holiday!!

We might well cross over to Norway on this trip: Nordkapp is calling!

You're very welcome !

I believe Nordkapp is less crowded this summer... they still charge a fee for entering the cape point :unsure2: - which is maybe the reason norwegians don't go there as oftwen as the foreign tourists 

Bjørge

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:09 pm

Out of town I've never had overheating problems and I agree Bjorge I can't see them blocking airflow.

#7 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:15 pm

Great stuff.

It puts my mind at rest as those little extra 5 litre bags have made all the difference to my packing. Really didn’t want to leave engine oil or Scottoil behind nor the extra few bits and random cans of tuna!

- which is maybe the reason norwegians don't go there as oftwen as the foreign tourists

Or they’ve got the sense to avoid tourists!!

#8 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:34 pm

You shouldn’t need engine oil.....

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#9 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:19 am

You shouldn’t need engine oil.....

I figured as much but then I thought "how stupid would it be to damage an engine because it dropped under low?"

First big trip on this bike so applying a bit of "better safe than sorry".

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:03 pm

Have never took oil on a big trip with the 9r but even if you do need it lots available everywhere, ya misses can pack another 50 pairs of nickers, i'm assuming of course  :)  have a great and safe trip..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:09 pm

Fan kicked in once today, pootle through a town but beyond that all good. Sat mainly at about 60mph for todays 400 miles. Impressively managed around 70 mpg (probably 67-68 to be exact) thanks to flat and straight (read boring) roads.

Potential tank range of 300 miles!

Shame my backside has a range of 90 miles.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 08 August 2020 - 08:11 pm.

#12 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:13 pm

Fan kicked in once today, pootle through a town but beyond that all good. Sat mainly at about 60mph for todays 400 miles. Impressively managed around 70 mpg (probably 67-68 to be exact) thanks to flat and straight (read boring) roads.

Potential tank range of 300 miles!

Shame my backside has a range of 90 miles.

I have ridden the 9er 300 miles off one tank, that is - at arrival I filled some 17.5 liter so could reach maybe 375 miles if topped up properly. A boring ride, though, trying to minimize consumption...
Bjørge

#13 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:28 pm

Boring and painful!

We were both sore last night!

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:40 am

Boring and painful!

We were both sore last night!

too much infermation dare SeizedBalt. 

If eye were yew i'd look at some decent engine / side panel / fuel tank crash protection as ya cud attach those wee 'pannier style' additional bags a bit easier maybe.  I think they are very handy looking. Ya cud possibly have yer ECU remapped by Samios as them boys apparently lower the value that the cooling fan kicks in at plus it may tidy up yer bikes fuel delivery and general overall enjoyment as it is meant to really improve tings considerably. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users