has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:29 pm

As per the title.

Which is the best or safest way.

Twist wires together.

Splice wires together & then twist them.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#2 silverback

silverback

sticking around

• 35 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:23 pm

The best way is to strip the wire back and solder without twisting, do this to both ends that need joining. Slip some shrink tub over one end,offer the two soldered ends up to each other and solder, pull the shrink tub over the joint and heat.

#3 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:50 pm

I don't know the specified method, but I prefer to slide on the heat shrink to one side, twist the wires together in a straight line and then solder them. Don't forget to flux them first, slide down the heat shrink and heat.

Any method will do as long as they stay together. In an awkward situation I have even twisted the wires together as you would to fit into a connector soldered and then slipped over the heat shrink.

I do know about flux cored solder before someone pulls me up but being a gasman cum plumber I prefer to flux.

Edited by Gasman, 03 March 2015 - 05:55 pm.

#4 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:24 pm

The best way is to strip the wire back and solder without twisting, do this to both ends that need joining. Slip some shrink tub over one end,offer the two soldered ends up to each other and solder, pull the shrink tub over the joint and heat.

Not tried this way before. Will give it a go at the weekend.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#5 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:26 pm

Same as gasman for me although I use flux cored solder.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#6 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:29 pm

I don't know the specified method, but I prefer to slide on the heat shrink to one side, twist the wires together in a straight line and then solder them. Don't forget to flux them first, slide down the heat shrink and heat.

Any method will do as long as they stay together. In an awkward situation I have even twisted the wires together as you would to fit into a connector soldered and then slipped over the heat shrink.

I do know about flux cored solder before someone pulls me up but being a gasman cum plumber I prefer to flux.

This was my prefered method. But then I wondered if there was a proper way to do it.

I've used flux when soldering on water pipes e.t.c, but never when soldering wiring.

What exactly does it do?

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

#7 silverback

silverback

sticking around

• 35 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:34 pm

Twisting the wires make a bigger joint and the soldered joint often fails as the solder doesn't penetrate. 

#8 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:37 pm

Flux both wires,tin them up ,twist together,apply s/iron to melt tinned wires together,heatshrink and job done :)

#9 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:25 pm

Twisting the wires make a bigger joint and the soldered joint often fails as the solder doesn't penetrate.

Never had one fail yet.
If the wires are twisted they conduct from wire to wire without the added resistance of penetrating the solder.

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:42 am

tin them up 

This!

Melt some solder on to both wires individually, and then bring them together and apply heat to melt the solder on both and stick them together.  You ensure good penetration of the wire by doing them individually rather than trying to add solder to 2 wires together.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:47 am

This was my prefered method. But then I wondered if there was a proper way to do it.I've used flux when soldering on water pipes e.t.c, but never when soldering wiring.
What exactly does it do?

When you apply heat to a joint the metal oxidises (turns black and dirty) and therefore the solder won't stick. The flux stops this happening and keeps the metal clean for a good strong joint.

#12 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:59 pm

When you apply heat to a joint the metal oxidises (turns black and dirty) and therefore the solder won't stick. The flux stops this happening and keeps the metal clean for a good strong joint.

:good:

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users