8 replies to this topic

#1 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:20 am

Hi all, was out on bike yesterday and all of a sudden the bike started running all jumpy and horrible. Hard to keep it from stalling and when it did everything went completely dead. The rev counter went nuts, bouncing all over the place. Took seat off, started it up once the power came back and it was running normally until i sat back on bike with seat on. Hmm! Playing around under seat and unplugged the starter solenoid multiplug and it made the bike run exactly like it was doin, all over the place. Plugged it back in and all was fine for few mins and back to old tricks .
describing it fully just in case anyone else has this happen on theres. Mine is 97 model.

took the starter solenoid off and decided it was faulty after checking continuity on wiring which ruled wires out. Cut the top off it to inspect and it was seriously green inside! So ordered one and will keep up to date on here . Anyone else had this problem? Did a new unit sort ? Might seal this new unit somehow to stop moisture getting in.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:32 am

Wrap some amalgamating tape round it. :) Worked a treat on my mk1.

Yeah, it's a fairly common problem although the symptoms can differ.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 890 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:46 pm

didn't wicky do a write up on cleaning a starter solenoid :dunno:

#4 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:01 pm

My bike did that the other year, turned out to be a very corroded fusebox. The main power feed to the fusebox, was broken and only making contact intermittently.

http://www.carpe-tdm...7855&hl=fusebox

#5 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:25 am

Just been reading your post on fuseboxes hammerman , it looks technical! But its got me thinking about the state of mine.
might take it off and inspect later, could add a fuse for Sat Nav and phone charger too then!
the new starter unit should be here today so will keep posted.

Edited by lparker, 16 October 2012 - 07:27 am.

#6 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:51 pm

It's not that technical, you just need to work methodically and label everything as you work. Take photographs of the old fusebox before you start or draw pictures, and be clear on what you want it to look like when you've finished.

Good Luck

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:41 pm

didn't wicky do a write up on cleaning a starter solenoid :dunno:

aye i did indeed. ya don't need to 'cut the top off the solenoid' as the unit simply comes apart ! if you carefully look at it you'll see how i did it. Personally i disconnect the battery and inspect / flush out the fuse box with brake cleaner, dry it off with d'air line and re-apply ACF50 as required.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:59 pm

Fitted new starter unit and it works a treat! Cleaned up all contacts in fuse box as you suggested but they didn't look too bad. Mine has one common live with four outputs so was quite simple to get my head around once i had looked!

#9 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:09 pm

Glad you got it sorted, makes you wonder why Yamaha put all that electrical stuff where they did, right where it is going to get wet and corroded!

Edited by hammerman, 18 October 2012 - 09:09 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users