#1 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:57 pm

Got a paddock stand yesterday, and whilst my mate was with me it was easy putting his R6 on it. When he'd gone I tried putting the TDM on it on my own and nearly ended up under the bike!!!

Think I might go back to the 'crate and brick' method.

Didn't realise how bloody heavy the TDM is... unsure.gif

Should have got an ABBA stand, but will have to save up for that.

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#2 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:02 pm

I never had to much trouble getting my mk1 or the 900 on the paddock stand other than the bloddy steering won't stay straight.

Save for the abba, crackin bit of kit.

#3 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:59 pm

Put bike on side stand, go stand behind bike, put cups under swing near axle, use passenger-handles to balance bike upright while lifting stand and rol it on: Done!
To take the bike off, I usually lift the paddocks's end a little, put my foot under it, grasp those passenger-handles, kick stand up all the way with my foot and end up holding the bike safely in my hands; if you had made sure the side stand was out, you can simple put it on there.

I use cheap paddock stands, I paid less than £30 for the pair on eBay 3 years ago and they've been excellent. The Buell has been on them for 7 months in the garden when the front engine mount had snapped, and no fatigue or rust whatsoever. Sometimes cheap is all you need laugh.gif

Edited by robelst, 12 April 2008 - 10:03 pm.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#4 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:19 pm

I have a cheap rear padock stand - £12 I think. I use a similar method to Robelst. From the sidestand get behind the bike, slip cups under swing arm, put a foot on the handle of the stand, bring the bike vertical, put some weight on the stand while lifting the bike by the handles. Gets easy with a bit of practice.

Just don't forget the sidestand when you put the bike back down!

#5 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:43 am

QUOTE(brightonTDM @ Sat 12th Apr 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a paddock stand yesterday, and whilst my mate was with me it was easy putting his R6 on it. When he'd gone I tried putting the TDM on it on my own and nearly ended up under the bike!!!

It's actually harder to set up on the ABBA stand than a paddock stand - the benefit is that they're more versatile because of the higher lift and the ability to lift the front end easily. I use the paddock stand for chain service and the ABBA when I want to clean underneath or work on the front end.

The trick is to get it correctly positioned and hold the bike plumb before you start lifting. Also, the angle you push the handle down at should be perpendicular to the rails ( blink.gif ); by that, I mean push down & backwards a bit, not straight down. smile.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#6 phoneman

phoneman

really likes Carpe

• 82 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:57 am

QUOTE(Sparky @ Sun 13th Apr 2008, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's actually harder to set up on the ABBA stand than a paddock stand - the benefit is that they're more versatile because of the higher lift and the ability to lift the front end easily. I use the paddock stand for chain service and the ABBA when I want to clean underneath or work on the front end.

The trick is to get it correctly positioned and hold the bike plumb before you start lifting. Also, the angle you push the handle down at should be perpendicular to the rails ( blink.gif ); by that, I mean push down & backwards a bit, not straight down. smile.gif

Agreed
Phoneman (Mike)

2004 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Honda Dylan (I know but I don't care when it gets dirty, dropped or stolen)

Gone but not forgotten

2006 TDM900A. Airbox mod (thanks JBX), Fuel cans, Safety lights, Garmin GPS, FlipStandard Screen, DL650 handguards (thanks Hartside man), Yamaha topbox and of course a Scottoiler

2003 TDM900. As above.

#7 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:23 am

It is like everytrhing you do....at first it seems difficult but the more you do it the easier it becomes. I thought the same but it comes with practice. When I bought the bike the original owner had never used the center stand as he could not get the hang of it. One of my mates showed me the trick and now I use it all the time........Persevere with the paddock.....
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#8 Guest_Hughie tdm_*

Guest_Hughie tdm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:48 am

QUOTE(Sparra @ Mon 14th Apr 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is like everytrhing you do....at first it seems difficult but the more you do it the easier it becomes. I thought the same but it comes with practice. When I bought the bike the original owner had never used the center stand as he could not get the hang of it. One of my mates showed me the trick and now I use it all the time........Persevere with the paddock.....

Use a stand I bought at auto jumble at Rufforth fits similar to Abba stand but over footrests not swinging arm pivots. no compression on back end easy to one man operate but still a little heavy on front end.Pretty cheap too about £45 if I remember rolleyes.gif

#9 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:06 pm

I'm a girl and I can do it laugh.gif Well mature woman actually. Just remember to always put the side stand down again if you have been lubing with the bike in gear. I aways turn the handlebars to the left so the bike automatically rolls in the direction of the side stand. Was a bit nerve racking the first time yahoo.gif
I don't commute, I just go for a ride morning and afternoon!

#10 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:53 pm

very carefully excl.gif
My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

#11 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:59 pm

QUOTE(Sparky @ Sun 13th Apr 2008, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's actually harder to set up on the ABBA stand than a paddock stand

Sorry mate but I think the Abba stand is easy to use wether its cos I'm so tall but I can get my TDM up on the Abba in prob less than 2mins, But I can reach over and the bike to put the other side on and do up the bolts then just lift it up good.gif

Have used paddock stands on other bike and found them a complete pain in the butt. I would never buy one again:tdown:

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#12 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:11 pm

once you get the 'nack' its easy enough
i always put the bike in gear and line up the front wheel straight
put the paddock stand to approx where the bike will be once you stand it up straight
use the grabrail or similar with one hand (i use the givi top box as it gives extra leverage)
the other hand on the paddock stand and it just seems to work

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#13 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:13 pm

QUOTE(brightonTDM @ Sat 12th Apr 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember yer first ride - and then things improved............ dry.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#14 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:47 pm

QUOTE(Mandi @ Tue 15th Apr 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you have been lubing with the bike in gear.

Mind your fingers !!

It's safer with the engine off.

Stu

#15 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:23 pm

You do like THIS
Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#16 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:24 pm

QUOTE(Mandi @ Tue 15th Apr 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a girl and I can do it laugh.gif

Nothing like a healthy bit of competition!!! good.gif

I have been practising for about 30 minutes this evening and I have nearly got the hang of it now. Have got the balancing the bike upright bit sussed, I just need to synchronize the 'lift the back of the bike whilst pressing down with foot on the handle of the stand" My feet and brain seem to operate on different wavelengths these days.. unsure.gif unsure.gif

Galilee - he makes it look so simple, I think I might weld a handle on the stand if it makes it THAT easy

Edited by brightonTDM, 15 April 2008 - 08:25 pm.

#17 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:46 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Tue 15th Apr 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry mate but I think the Abba stand is easy to use wether its cos I'm so tall but I can get my TDM up on the Abba in prob less than 2mins, But I can reach over and the bike to put the other side on and do up the bolts then just lift it up good.gif

Have used paddock stands on other bike and found them a complete pain in the butt. I would never buy one again:tdown:

That's OK, JG. I can also set up me ABBA stand in under 2 mins...........but I can put it on the paddock stand in under 20 seconds! laugh.gif tongue.gif
Just get the cups in the right place under the swinger and up she goes! good.gif

Your height is definitely to your advantage; I can't reach over the bike to the clamp at floor level without losing it. So I have to get on it, fasten up, then somehow keep it upright while I get off again. It's a right kerfuffle! laugh.gif But I still like me ABBA, they're a great piece of kit. smile.gif good.gif

Edited by Sparky, 15 April 2008 - 08:48 pm.

Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#18 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:33 pm

the abbas takes 30secs to get the bike on, almost as quick as a paddock stand and far FAR safer sturdier good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#19 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:30 am

QUOTE(brightonTDM @ Tue 15th Apr 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been practising for about 30 minutes this evening and I have nearly got the hang of it now. Have got the balancing the bike upright bit sussed, I just need to synchronize the 'lift the back of the bike whilst pressing down with foot on the handle of the stand" My feet and brain seem to operate on different wavelengths these days.. unsure.gif unsure.gif

Once you've got weight on the cups you don't need to support the bike and can transfer your efforts to the stand. I always lift mine from the right, so if it does ever manage to get away from me it drops back down on the sidestand. Once the bikes vertical it only needs a hand on the givi rack to keep it ballanced, and a knee by the pillion footpeg in case it starts to come towards me, leaving my left hand to position the stand.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:19 pm

I DID IT!!!!!! yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

Will have to re-route my Scottoiler hose though as I found the L/H cup clouts the sprocket nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users