85 replies to this topic

#41 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:16 pm

Always wear (padded) cycling shorts under textiles/leathers ... ( and tracksters in winter)

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#42 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:14 pm

Gel pads in the seat work very well for long distance comfort

Comfortable riding gear that's been tried out ......don't go on a long trip with brand new un-tested kit .........smallest niggles can ruin a 2 week trip

layers help - especially if you can run to inner layers made with Merinho wool 

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#43 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:18 pm

You all probably know this but it only recently occurred to me to use supermarket "bags for life" (the bigger ones that open out into a rectangular cuboid shape) as liners for my panniers.  They're really cheap, waterproof and are easy to pack, and light to lift in and out of the panniers.  You can take what you need up to your hotel room without having to lug your heavy panniers.  Of course you don't look cool carrying a bag emblazoned with carrots or whatever, if this bothers you maybe you can get some from Harrods or Harvey Nicholls...

#44 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:31 am

You all probably know this but it only recently occurred to me to use supermarket "bags for life" (the bigger ones that open out into a rectangular cuboid shape) as liners for my panniers.  They're really cheap, waterproof and are easy to pack, and light to lift in and out of the panniers.  You can take what you need up to your hotel room without having to lug your heavy panniers.  Of course you don't look cool carrying a bag emblazoned with carrots or whatever, if this bothers you maybe you can get some from Harrods or Harvey Nicholls...

I am a convert to pannier "inner-bags" and these were fairly cheap (£40 ish) brand new off ebay ... excellent value for money

Even cheaper if you share a pair as you generally only need one inner bag, the other pannier, (RHS outside UK)  holding all emergency/bike type stuff stays on the bike so no inner needed

Fit straight into my Givi E41's with code lock tops. (I am also fan of E41s) 

P7

ALSO ... Keep spare keys locked in Givi E41s as you can get to them via code lock top openings if you lose your keys

Attached Files

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#45 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:53 am

If you you use a valved dry bag as an inner, you can get a lot more stuff in and keep it dry. Items like sleeping bags and clothes take up a lot more space than they need to. A valved dry bag compresses them down nice and compact.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#46 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:46 am

The Givi T471S  inner bags - http://www.mandp.co....-inner-bag.html - are a good fit for their E21/22 panniers and as Pete says you only really need 1.

Edited by hallrob1, 13 June 2016 - 11:22 am.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#47 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:03 am

For luggage capacity I think one of the best touring tips I've seen was from Chris Scott in the Motorcycle Adventure Handbook.

He reckons when packing sort all your kit in to 3 piles; Essentials, important, and nice to haves.  Then put all the nice to haves back in your cupboard and re-sort your important pile in to the same 3 categories :D  I'm getting better but I can still get back from a 2 week trip with several things in my panniers that haven't been used at all.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#48 Splodge

Splodge

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:22 pm

Always know where your towel is !

My mums monkey makes many mistakes.

#49 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:31 pm

Always know where your towel is !

<1ohm

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#50 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:00 pm

If you go to Spain, Hotels (albergues), are cheaper (and better located) than camping if you book in advance, in Holland you can sleep for 20 euros p/p included breakfast if you say you are on two wheels (don't mention the engine!), there is a list of hundreds of places all thru the country, use google to find them :good:

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#51 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:21 am

After my Credit Card developed a physical fault (worked fine first weekend in July but 2 weeks later didn't work at all) - take 2 CC and a Debit Card as well as some Cash.

Several 0% Foreign Transaction cards are available.

#52 PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:00 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Haven't toured in a while and miss the road.😔
I normally travel solo/alone, which can be boring and dangerous but ultimately fulfilling. Im not much for large riding groups because of the drama level incurred. To which I do what I do.
I totally agree with the members, "less is more " analogy. It's tough to do, but with practice becomes second nature. We learn what's really needed and what's just b.s.excess weight.
I always do a full maintenance check of the bike before departure, pack the tire repair kit/pump, a screw type jack to lift, chain lube, and some assorted tools. Oh, and the roadside assistance # if I'm lucky enough to have service.
I usually camp 2 nights/motel night 3 for the shower. My personal gear is backpack basic hygiene items and clothing, always fresh socks/undercrackers daily, and an excess of $'s on the card just in case. Undercrackers, , thats funny sh*t. Camera stuff and a map book.
Give the daughter my itinerary/route, say a short prayer and hit the road and hope for the best. 👍 😎

#53 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:53 am

If you you use a valved dry bag as an inner, you can get a lot more stuff in and keep it dry. Items like sleeping bags and clothes take up a lot more space than they need to. A valved dry bag compresses them down nice and compact.

What do you use to compress the bag, Muddy? I think I am thinking of a different type of bag. Can you show an example of what you mean please?
Thanks Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#54 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:03 am

If ya have a 12v airbed inflator ya can also use em to suck. Not tried it for Muddys idea.

Edited by Favs, 13 August 2016 - 07:05 am.

#55 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:07 am

If ya have a 12v airbed inflator ya can also use em to suck. Not tried it for Muddys idea.

I was thinking that too. I have one so must give it a try. I have a 4 season sleeping bag which is quite bulky compared to my summer one and it would then fit in the pannier.

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#56 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:17 am

I've been looking at compression sacks for the very same thing Ali but, this idea seems a bit better, my blow up dolly  does'nt suck only blows so just talking to swmbo she says you can get a roll up vaccum bags as well.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#57 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:50 am

I was thinking that too. I have one so must give it a try. I have a 4 season sleeping bag which is quite bulky compared to my summer one and it would then fit in the pannier.

Depends what the sleeping bag is. I have 2 season and 4 season down bags that compact very well. A synthetic bag doesn't compact nearly as much and no amount of vacuuming or compression will lessen the volume past a certain point, which is why I use down.

In regards to bags, vacuum bags would certainly work but I wouldn't use them because they're too easily punctured. I'll post some photos of the valved bags like use later when I'm on my laptop.

Here's my 2 season sleeping bag and a small assortment of clothes that were at hand.Just push them down into the bag open the valve and wrap the bag as the air is expelled. Bare in mind that this is a 20 litre dry bag and I normally use a 50 litre.
IMG_20160813_102742_zpshpaq2pgb.jpg
IMG_20160813_103028_zpswvmojrmu.jpg
IMG_20160813_103508_zpsqof8sfng.jpg

Edited by muddy, 13 August 2016 - 01:10 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#58 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:58 pm

What size ya think for the 4 season down sleeping bag muddy !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#59 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:19 pm

What size ya think for the 4 season down sleeping bag muddy !!

Not with yer on that Cliff. What specifically? If you mean dry bag, I'd go for the bigger 50 litre and just pack down. I got the 20 litre yellow one cos it was on offer on Amazon and it looks nice a strong, which it is. A 4 season down bag will fit in the 20 litre one easy and you should be able to bung some clothes in as well. Still doing the 20 litre one on Amazon for £20 and you get a 5 litre bag thrown in, which is just the right size for storing electrical stuff you may want to keep dry.

https://www.amazon.c...s=dry bag valve

That said, I'd still go with a bigger 50 litre, because I put my sleeping bag and all of my clothes in one. There's one on Ebay for a decent price, though I can't vouch for it's quality. At least the valve is at the bottom, unlike the Highlander one I have with the valve half way up--must have been hitting the Buckfast when they designed that one :lol: .

http://www.ebay.co.u...3uc4W75ifJue8Jw

Edited by muddy, 13 August 2016 - 03:20 pm.

#60 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:33 pm

I already carry my tent in a dry bag on the seat and was looking for something to compress my sleeping bag to put in one of the panniers. Do you think that a 20lt compressed would fit in a pannier?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: touring, camping, pack, trip, Toolkit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users