17 replies to this topic

#1 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:47 pm

Finally got round to starting to restore my first 4TX. Started with this [attachment=10581:20171118_111157.jpg] Looks ok from a distance but it's well over 100k so off we go. Currently looks like this [attachment=10582:WP_20171217_14_16_26_Pro.jpg]. Bought various over the past year to get on with it next year but stuck for a decent right mirror or suggestions for a pair of replacements with good vision , 4 exhaust header cylindrical Allen nuts (used 'em restoring another) and a top hat spacer (number 44 in cowling 1 on Fowlers) [attachment=10583:WP_20171217_18_11_55_Pro.jpg] that one no longer available ex factory. Anybody moved on to a niner and got any of the above lying around ? TIA of any info.....

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:29 pm

Looks loike ya made a good start!

The later 850 mirrors are def an improvement.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:51 pm

I think item 44 is an M5 wellnut.  Easy to get off ebay if it is.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:50 pm

Looks loike ya made a good start!

The later 850 mirrors are def an improvement.

My TDM world revolves around 96 - 98 dappers before the namby mods. I didn't know later 4tx had different mirrors. I'll have a mooch...thanks

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:56 pm

I think item 44 is an M5 wellnut.  Easy to get off ebay if it is.

As with the mirrors I didn't know the screen type fasteners were called well nuts. Not a well nut Studley. It's a stepped metal spacer and NLA from Yamaha. Like a 6mm and an 8mm washer glued back to back. It's been missing for years but I want it right when finished.....

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:09 pm

Ah right, I know what you mean, I might one in my TDM 8fiddly jar,  I'll have a look and let you know.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:47 am

Aircooled has fit Tracer mirrors o his mk2 which look very nice

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:50 pm

Made some progress finally....decided to swap the old girl to VRC7 paint..sod the known bike paint suppliers and they're prices. I gave a panel from my VRC7 4TX2 and they matched it up...probably be a couple or three years finishing it but progress at least.[attachment=11610:20180307_100959.jpg][attachment=11611:20181111_123506.jpg][attachment=11611:20181111_123506.jpg][attachment=11613:20181111_123537.jpg]

Any suggestions for decrudding a 112000 miles in all weather 4TX engine to a clean enough standard for painting ? Reluctant to strip it as it's in good order..

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:03 pm

Never done a bike engine before but for a car I did: 

pressure wash the main gunk off.

Degrease to remove the thin film of grease left

Remove flaking paint and repair damaged areas

Prep for paint

#10 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:04 pm

Wow! You're a trained painter ? What kind of equipment are you using ?

Bjørge

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:25 pm

Never done a bike engine before but for a car I did: 
pressure wash the main gunk off.
Degrease to remove the thin film of grease left
Remove flaking paint and repair damaged areas
Prep for paint

Similar thinking TKH...cheers

#12 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:36 pm

Wow! You're a trained painter ? What kind of equipment are you using ?

Never painted before Bjorge. Auto elec by trade so I know lots of guys with empty weekend workshops. I just talked a lot and listened more to the advice of a painter I know. Preparation is everything. I bought a 45 quid Spray gun from Screwfix and practiced for a while with metallic and lacquer. Once you've worked out the gun settings for a given product the paint application was quite easy. Prepping is key. The frame took 20 hrs to prep after being blasted....wish I'd had a go years ago.

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:57 pm

Very nice Apache, looks good :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:14 pm

Lookin' good there Apache. :good:

#15 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:59 pm

those nuts and top hat look like a parts bin item. My 1987 fz600 uses those.

if you google and ebay the part numbers, you usually come up trumps

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#16 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:19 pm

those nuts and top hat look like a parts bin item. My 1987 fz600 uses those.

if you google and ebay the part numbers, you usually come up trumps

You're right Drewpy, that usually works but that top hat spacer isn't out there. Get one cut I suppose. Nuts are available. I'll just have to pay a fiver apiece I guess.

#17 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:25 pm

Down to earth with a bump.....showing off my panels to my painter pal feeling overly chuffed with missel and the dirty bustard does this[attachment=11617:20181112_171621.jpg]
And tells me to do the same to every panel all over.
Bit odd to a rookie but apparently when the decals and a coat of clear go on it'll come up gradely 🤔....

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:59 pm

Yea it seems counter productive but it seems that's what they do !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users