dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:46 pm

My 06 9er is getting tired.
My bikes take a bit of a beating as they are just work horses for the commute to work in London - journey is about 1/3 A/B roads, 1/3 motorway and 1/3 filtering in London.
I do 16k a year, in all weathers, and (at present) the Bike lives outside in the same weathers too.

Was thinking about an XT1200, but wondering if Im missing a trick somewhere.
I think i want shaft drive to make the week on week jobs a little easier. A friend suggested a CrossTourer but seem to remember bad things about those Honda V4 1200 engines.
Would an FJR be worth a look?

Suggestions...
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#2 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:58 pm

Yes. But it might not be the best filtering tool. I like the idea of the XT12

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#3 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:10 am

Crosstourer has a 3 year warranty the only Honda to have that

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#4 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:44 am

Another 900 .... what else is there? Lots of disappointments I think ...  :lol:

Your own high mileage means buying 10,000 miles is arguably a nearly new bike 

Good luck

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:58 am

Sorry dmmmmsta I dunno oubt aboooot udder boikes. Ya could ask one of the boike mags if they would loike ewe to do a long term test on a boike?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:09 am

Sorry dmmmmsta I dunno oubt aboooot udder boikes. Ya could ask one of the boike mags if they would loike ewe to do a long term test on a boike?

Is that actually a thing?

That would sort things out nicely...

Crosstourer has a 3 year warranty the only Honda to have that

Budget doesn't allow for a bike that new unfortunately

Another 900 .... what else is there? Lots of disappointments I think ...  :lol:

Your own high mileage means buying 10,000 miles is arguably a nearly new bike 

Good luck

P7

I am tempted by another 9er, but with the LEZ rules getting more stringent I'd be changing it too quickly due to age.

If I found a good 9er, then I could use a little extra cash to sort out some of the bits as soon as I get it (front forks, etc), but they are aged from a build perspective now...

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:18 am

If you're looking for a commuter, then the bikes that come to mind are CB500X and NC750 because they're cheap to buy, easy to service and verrrrrry economical. If you want an upgrade to the 9er, or something a little bit different, then both the Tracers are worth a look. I preferred riding the MT07 Tracer as it's lighter than the 9er but has more or less the same performance and even better economy if you stay under 100 mph. The only issue with the Tracers is they will corrode to buggery quicker than the 9er. The S10 and FJR, unless you can get one real cheap will be hard to upkeep in the same way. You could always buy my Honda Grom that does 130 mpg and will get you noticed :)

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:36 am

Is that actually a thing?
That would sort things out nicely...

If it isn't then you should make it so.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:25 pm

If you're looking for a commuter, then the bikes that come to mind are CB500X and NC750 because they're cheap to buy, easy to service and verrrrrry economical. If you want an upgrade to the 9er, or something a little bit different, then both the Tracers are worth a look. I preferred riding the MT07 Tracer as it's lighter than the 9er but has more or less the same performance and even better economy if you stay under 100 mph. The only issue with the Tracers is they will corrode to buggery quicker than the 9er. The S10 and FJR, unless you can get one real cheap will be hard to upkeep in the same way. You could always buy my Honda Grom that does 130 mpg and will get you noticed :)

Hadnt considered the NC, having had 9ers for 10yrs now I think I maybe a CC snob and not giving the newer smaller capacity units any consideration.

I did have a go on my friends MT09 Tracer and found it quite fizzy at the bars, which makes me wonder if that will lead to numb fingers after any significant distance.

Know what you mean about the XT12/FJR. They demand a price still and you only get sensible prices with age/high mileage.

The search continues.
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#10 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:02 pm

big scooter 

i had a aprilia 500 got 104 out it will sit at 80 all day ideal for commuting 

its not a bike but its close 

also you get a larf blowing off sports bikes

i wish i could have seen the r1 rider who continued to get further behind me on a long run on twisty scottish roads

obviously he wasn't a good rider but then again there are a lot of them out there on sportbikes but they look good

#11 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:07 pm

big scooter 
i had a aprilia 500 got 104 out it will sit at 80 all day ideal for commuting 
its not a bike but its close 
also you get a larf blowing off sports bikes
i wish i could have seen the r1 rider who continued to get further behind me on a long run on twisty scottish roads
obviously he wasn't a good rider but then again there are a lot of them out there on sportbikes but they look good

I have considered this option but Im not quite ready to move to that sort of bike.

I totally get the advantages, but I just cant make the transition to a twist & go
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:57 pm

1) another 900

2) fix the one you have and the money left over from your budget can go on a holiday/ferry tickets, track day events etc

3) old xj900 Diversion shafty, long running, low maintenance....cheeeeeeeeap

4) old FJ1200, fast , uneconomical (fuel wise), fast, and cheap, and fast, and cheap insurance (classic bike status)

3&4 don't qualify for LEZ though

5) MT-07, remapped. There are a few companies removing the torque limiters and adjusting the fueling, should be fine in the LEZ wink-wink (remapping smooths them right out apparently) See here - - > https://ecuwest.com....ance-ecu-remap/

6) MT-03, I keep meaning to get a  test ride but apparently they're a hoot, buzzy on m/ways though

7) cheapest post 2007 LEZ qualifying bike, and something nice for the weekend sir

8) post 2007 FZ1 Fazer

9) logistically difficult, but a little bike in a lockup just outside the ULEZ zone...lots of faf and extra expense, i know someone who does a bike+car mixed mileage journey 4 times a week so just mentioning it

MT-07 remap smoothing out torque and power delivery....tempting me.....but, I like the torque of the 9 too much :)

EDIT  10) an old something with BMW in it's name, and the rest of the money on a nice vajazzle

Edited by fixitsan, 17 March 2018 - 06:19 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:35 pm

5) MT-07, remapped. There are a few companies removing the torque limiters and adjusting the fueling, should be fine in the LEZ wink-wink (remapping smooths them right out apparently) See here - - > https://ecuwest.com....ance-ecu-remap/

I don't really get why people do this. The MT07 has plenty of torque as standard. Surely remapping will effect fuel economy and longevity. Just buy a more powerful bike, already.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:52 pm

I don't really get why people do this. The MT07 has plenty of torque as standard. Surely remapping will effect fuel economy and longevity. Just buy a more powerful bike, already.

To me it's like getting the bike I paid for.

The 900 torque limiters in 2nd and 3rd gears are there for safety reasons and to help get through noise and emissions testing. So  I get great torque in 1st, and 4th-6th....but the engine is quite capable of producing that same higher torque in 2nd and 3rd too quite safely, with no  impact on longevity.

You don't *have to* use it, but it's nice to get exactly the same engine response in each gear as you go through the gears.

Modern bikes run exceptionally lean, so they are frugal, but so too is a richer running bike at a smaller throttle opening, again, you don't *have to* use the benefit of the richer fueling map, but it is there if you want it....and so when you have it to use, you have to ask - why would I need another bike ?

Removing the fuel cutoff at overrun uses a tad more fuel but I don't think I notice it, however the engine isn't shutting completely off when I close the throttle, it responds more like a bike with carbs, it is smoother and mid corner throttle balancing is no problem at all, there's no fear of the engine suddenly slowing just because you backed off ever so slightly.

Ultimately you are right that longevity will definitely be affected if you were to choose to ride completely flat out all of the time, but who does that ?

Then the issue of timing has to be mentioned. An engine is designed on a testbed, using an average fuel, to cover average conditions and the design is then settled. But then consideration has to be given to the fact that some people might actually be able to put 91 RON fuel into the tank, so to be safe the ignition timing is wound back about 4 degrees to prevent preignition if low quality fuel is used. But if you live in the UK and always have a minimum of 95 RON fuel to hand, there is nothing to lose and something to be gained by advancing the timing 4 degrees. Thus a good remap doesn't just tweak the fuel, but also the timing is adjusted

Edited by fixitsan, 17 March 2018 - 06:58 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:04 pm

Back on topic........how about a versys or an er6, economical, good for filtering and can be had for not a lorra lolly ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:30 pm

1) another 900

This isn't off the cards, but finding a sensibly priced one 2010+ is hard - most are dealer bikes with the added price tag.

I'd also want to get a lot of the niggles sorted up front - remap/tune, timing adv, suspension front & rear, plus all the tweeks that I've learnt (SA tape, mirror extenders, etc)

This puts what is essentially a 15 year old bike (no significant changes to the bike) towards the same price as a half decent XT12

2) fix the one you have and the money left over from your budget can go on a holiday/ferry tickets, track day events etc

Mine isn't some much in need of fix, its just getting tired, there a number of items on the horizon that will need attention (shims, rear shock, C&S) that when added up will pretty much be the worth of the bike (06 80k)

4) old FJ1200, fast , uneconomical (fuel wise), fast, and cheap, and fast, and cheap insurance (classic bike status)

What you said

Not tried one of these, but if the MT09 tracer is anything to go on I might not get on with it...

6) MT-03, I keep meaning to get a  test ride but apparently they're a hoot, buzzy on m/ways though

Not sure I want to drop engine size this much...I'm 6'3" and around 14st...

7) cheapest post 2007 LEZ qualifying bike, and something nice for the weekend sir

If only I got chance to ride at the weekend...and also had somewhere to keep a 2nd bike other than open to the elements (bar a cover)

8) post 2007 FZ1 Fazer

This has potential, but would sacrifice the shaft drive - no chain maintenance is a big "tick" for me...

9) logistically difficult, but a little bike in a lockup just outside the ULEZ zone...lots of faf and extra expense, i know someone who does a bike+car mixed mileage journey 4 times a week so just mentioning it

Finding a suitable lockup would be the hard part on this, but would open up the potential for a smaller CC bike as would just be the last mile trip to consider...

MT-07 remap smoothing out torque and power delivery....tempting me.....but, I like the torque of the 9 too much :)

EDIT  10) an old something with BMW in it's name, and the rest of the money on a nice vajazzle

Go wash your mouth out - Ivan's Carpe BMW alert will have gone off now...

Although I have found myself looking at the K1300S a couple of times...

Back on topic........how about a versys or an er6, economical, good for filtering and can be had for not a lorra lolly ?

Just don't like the ER6, the Versys might be worth a look...

Edited by dmmsta, 17 March 2018 - 10:31 pm.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#17 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:32 pm

I have considered this option but Im not quite ready to move to that sort of bike.

I totally get the advantages, but I just cant make the transition to a twist & go

can see where you're coming from but if you haven't tried one try for a test drive on a new one even if you are going to buy an older model 

i think you would be surprised how well they go but it would be a compromise but they are sooo comfy and practical

#18 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:48 am

No harm in trying!

can see where you're coming from but if you haven't tried one try for a test drive on a new one even if you are going to buy an older model 
i think you would be surprised how well they go but it would be a compromise but they are sooo comfy and practical

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#19 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:25 am

1) another 900

8) post 2007 FZ1 Fazer

:shocked:  :o  ! Do you know what one is !!!!   :rotflmmfao: , Priceless !

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#20 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:33 am

+ 1 on the Versys 650 top bike for the money (£99 pm over 3 on a PCP), so very nearly put pen to paper on a limited edition "GT" in the summer at Chris Walker Kawasaki (a little Studley on one shoulder giving it the "go on - you know you want too" &  SHMBO on the other saying "go on if you dare" :hide: ) , he (Chris Walker) said to take one out for half a day, apparently I'd be well impressed - he uses the shop one all the time for nipping about on.

Suggest a visit to your local Kawasaki dealer - perhaps you'd be impressed to.  :good:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users