14 replies to this topic

#1 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:04 am

Having had two TDM900s (and a TRX850) you can see that I like Yamaha's parallel twins but when the last of the TDMs got a bit long in the tooth and needing replacement three years ago I opted for a Tracer 900 which I've been very pleased with in most respects with only the hard seat being a real issue. 

Out of idle curiosity, I borrowed a Tracer 700 from Skellerns in Worcester while my own bike was enjoying its first MOT. To cut a long story short, I liked it.....A LOT!  So much so that I've traded in my Tracer 900 for a new 700, it's much more reminiscent of my old TDMs (I didn't want to return the test bike to the shop after my ride out). To put icing on the cake, Yamaha are offering a free "touring pack" with the 700s purchased in April, hard paniers, tank bag, 12v socket etc. 

So it's back to parallel twins again!

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:38 am

Good choice. Out of the two I much preferred the 700. It was much closer to the TDM in character. And being so light I didn't notice much difference in grunt up to 80 mph. A new rear shock is all it really needs IMO.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:32 pm

Never tried the Tracer but I did try the Xsr700, I was quite disappointed with the motor. Felt very flat and buzzy, take it the Tracers is better?

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:29 pm

If i were buying new certainly be an Tracer 700 :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:14 pm

Among the group of younger lads I rode to the Edinburgh Bike show were a few on 700's and they put them to very good use.

I've read a few forums and some people go down the remap route and just find the same benefit as I did with the 900 remap, Fewer limiters and more fun.

I've also seen a video of an MT-07 being pushed along a Spanish motorway in the outside lane, up a right hand bending hill, he was pushing as hard as he could, and his mate on a TDM900 came up the inside and passed with total ease, but I guess it was done at speeds most of us would never consider riding at, and there is quite a capacity difference

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:55 pm

I tried the 700 Tracer when it came out. Liked it a lot, but never thought the engine had anywhere near the grunt of the TDM. Was never tempted to swap. The TDM just got this thing of not running out of breath. The way I ride anyway. Did not get that on the Tracer.
Waiting for the Tenere version to come out in 2036. Might have a bit more grunt and fewer horses.

Rob

#7 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:04 pm

I tried the 700 Tracer when it came out. Liked it a lot, but never thought the engine had anywhere near the grunt of the TDM. Was never tempted to swap. The TDM just got this thing of not running out of breath. The way I ride anyway. Did not get that on the Tracer.
Waiting for the Tenere version to come out in 2036. Might have a bit more grunt and fewer horses.

Rob

2036? I like your optimism.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#8 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:46 pm

I'll write a full report once I've got some miles on the clock. 

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#9 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:58 am

Looking forward to it.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#10 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:38 pm

When the Tracer 900 came out I had a couple of test rides - one from Robspeed in Grimsby and one from Five Ways in Hull. I liked the bike very much but found (on both bikes) annoying vibration at around 70 to 80mph, just where you DON'T want it on a motorway. For me it completely spoiled the bike, so I bought a newer TDM900 instead. 

Other little niggles were the screen design which caused very bad turbulence again at motorway speeds (although a larger one is available), and the sidestand which was almost impossible to find and use when sitting on the bike.

These snags were a real shame and spoiled what in other respects was a very decent bike.

Riggers.

#11 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:30 pm

Well done, QM. I like my MT-07 a lot too. I went out on Tuesday for the first time in 5 months and it reminded me what a great bike it is. To an extent it feels like a TDM - the twin engine at its heart. Also, reminded what a great pastime this is.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:09 pm

annoying vibration at around 70 to 80mph, just where you DON'T want it on a motorway.

Sounds like a cool feature to me
.. Stops ya speeding and tries to shake some sense into ya if ewe use motorway.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:02 am

Last year I rented a Tracer 700, and liked it a lot ! in about a month I go to Portugal and rent a 900  :).

My expected conclusion is being too old for such a hooligan bike....

Bjørge

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:27 am

It might make you feel 20yrs younger though. :)  Look forward to hearing about yer trip Bjorge.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:09 pm

Theres a wheeleying hooligan on Youtube who jumps on pretty much any bike and can wheelie almost immediately. But he really struggled with the MT09 for a while, I think it was the throttle sensitivity which caused the problem. I never wheelie intentionally, maybe I could get on with it ? :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users