3 replies to this topic

#1 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:23 pm

The return of mild weather and dry roads tempted me out for a short 28 mile triangle from Knaresborough to Wetherby then Boroughbride and back to Knaresborough - just enough to get the oil hot and charge the battery.  The Wetherby to Boroughbridge section is along the old A1, now renumbered the A168.  This is about 13 miles long, broad and sweeping, and devoid of traffic which is all now on the new A1.  The other parts of the route are mostly minor A roads with some nice bendy bits. (See map). 

Boroughbridge is a very small market town that before the 1960s thrived on providing for the needs of travellers along the old AI.  Its now a sleepy almost forgotten place, but there are decent cafes and pubs, and public loos so its worth a short visit if you're in the area and fancy a coffee stop.  One thing to be careful of if you do visit Boroughbridge  - just outside the town there are 3 large standing stones known as the Devils Arrows, they've been there since 2,700 BC    Have a walk round them by all means but not more than 3 times because if you do legend has it you'll raise the devil!  I stopped and risked taking a couple of photos:

Attached Files

#2 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:49 pm

Well done, thanks for sharing.

#3 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:10 pm

I always use the 168 when I go north. It's so nice to get off the A1.

#4 CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:01 am

I often use the 168 Wetherby-Dishforth in my wagon, gives me "something to do" for half an hour instead of a boring stretch of A1M. Quite often see bikes with the same idea........
('Specially if someone's decided to run a tanker full of cookin oil onto the hard shoulder at Boroughbridge, ripping a hole into tank as there was a broken down flat bed in the way, depositing 10.000ltrs of the stuff all over the South bound carriage way.......as happened last Tue!!!!) 😳

Edited by CharleyFarley, 12 December 2015 - 07:09 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users