42 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzo

Buzzo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:18 am

Hi. Has anybody replaced their friction plates in their clutch? What were the symptoms before hand? The clutch on my 900 feels like it doesn't quite disengage. Changing gears is very clunky. It doesn't slip at all though. I replaced the cable a while ago because the old one didn't have a lot of adjustment left. The new one didn't have anymore adjustment.I've used mainly Motul 5100 10w40. When replacing clutch parts will just the friction plates and springs generally be enough?

Cheers

#2 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:25 am

Gear change problems could also point to a drive chain that doesn't have enough slack dialled in?

55-60mm.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:18 am

Gear change problems could also point to a drive chain that doesn't have enough slack dialled in?

55-60mm.

thought it was 40 - 50mm?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:16 pm

thought it was 40 - 50mm?

Buzzo runs a 2007, guessing a 900 then, so they run looser. 55-60mm = 900. Thanks for the opportunity to clear up any possible confusion.

So

Gear selection issues anyone?

Most straightforward cause, amongst many other possibilities = drive chain too tight.

#5 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:42 pm

thanks for that, new to TDM's so trying to understand them

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#6 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:48 pm

Questions:

1. Do you adjust the clutch cable at both ends, down at the clutch case cover and up at the handlebar/lever? Still run out of adjustment? Is the cable short or long?

2. Do you have OEM non-adjustable clutch lever or an aftermarket reach-adjustable one now adjusted for easy reach close to bar grip? I.e. too short stroke?

3. Some and enough free play, but not too much at the lever?

A friend had clutch problems on his MT07, problem was dirty and/or not wet enough friction plates. By just disassembly the clutch stack, clean the plates and soak them in plenty of fresh oil before reinstalling solved his problems completely.

Edited by and30ers, 27 September 2016 - 07:47 pm.

#7 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:12 am

Questions:

1. Do you adjust the clutch cable at both ends, down at the clutch case cover and up at the handlebar/lever? Still run out of adjustment? Is the cable short or long?

2. Do you have OEM non-adjustable clutch lever or an aftermarket reach-adjustable one now adjusted for easy reach close to bar grip? I.e. too short stroke?

3. Some and enough free play, but not too much at the lever?

A friend had clutch problems on his MT07, problem was dirty and/or not wet enough friction plates. By just disassembly the clutch stack, clean the plates and soak them in plenty of fresh oil before reinstalling solved his problems completely.

Hi friend's

I had this problem recently in my TDM 850 2001.
The discs were glued together and with a little lubrication. I did exactly as you said
Also changed the clutch cable.

PS: After cleaning of parts made measurements:
discs and springs were the measures within tolerance as manual.

Result; i have a new clutch.

Cheers!

Edited by Sidarta, 28 September 2016 - 01:15 am.

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#8 Buzzo

Buzzo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:13 am

Thanks for the replies. I know it's vague to say the gears are clunky. I have a rocket 3 and they are known to be very agricultural but the gears on that are far smoother shifting than the 900.
-Yes the chain has a bit over 60mm of slack, almost touching the swing arm.
-The old and new cables seem a bit long. I've run out of adjustment at the standard hand lever and have 3 threads protruding past the adjustment nut at the engine end.
-only a slight amount of free play at the lever.
I'm very interested in cleaning the plates. Sticking seems to make sense the way it feels. What did you use to clean the friction plates?

#9 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:34 am

Lamp oil. Cheap, very effective, not aggressive. Sub 4£ per L.
http://www.biltema.s...gen-2000033852/

Edited by and30ers, 28 September 2016 - 05:40 am.

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:38 am

Running out of adjustment with a new cable? Time to go in for a look and see.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 Buzzo

Buzzo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:41 am

Ok, thanks. I'll have a look.

#12 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:27 pm

This has made me wonder about mine.

I'm due an oil change soon, and was putting it down to that, but things mentioned here make sense too.

I replaced the cable on my first TDM with the same results (no real improvement on adjustment take up).

It was a genuine Yam cable, but from Greece...??

Do you need the alignment tool when doing this work - I know Mr Henty has one he made...

Also - while on the subject of cables - whats the best thing to lubricate the cable itself, and how do people do theirs...?

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#13 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:21 pm

As for lube I use engine oil. Loosen cable both ends. Make a funnel from a plastic bag (think zip lock type), from one corner of the bag cut a 10 cm radius making it look like a 25% pie chart. Then cut a small hole in the centre of the cone, pull over the cable sleeve, secure funnel to cable sleeve with rubber band, fold back over the end and your funnel is done. Fill funnel with oil and jerk cable in-out-in-out etc. until engine oil drip from the lower end of cable. You might have to refill funnel a couple of times.

Edited by and30ers, 28 September 2016 - 10:26 pm.

#14 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:52 am

I dip the cable in an oil container/drum and spin the inner with a drill in the direction that draws the oil up. Look at the inner, you'll see what I mean.

Thinking about a clutch for mine as I can make it slip on power.

Edited by Catteeclan, 29 September 2016 - 05:52 am.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#15 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:11 am

As for lube I use engine oil. Loosen cable both ends. Make a funnel from a plastic bag (think zip lock type), from one corner of the bag cut a 10 cm radius making it look like a 25% pie chart. Then cut a small hole in the centre of the cone, pull over the cable sleeve, secure funnel to cable sleeve with rubber band, fold back over the end and your funnel is done. Fill funnel with oil and jerk cable in-out-in-out etc. until engine oil drip from the lower end of cable. You might have to refill funnel a couple of times.

I dip the cable in an oil container/drum and spin the inner with a drill in the direction that draws the oil up. Look at the inner, you'll see what I mean.

Thinking about a clutch for mine as I can make it slip on power.

I'd heard this one before with slight change in that its left (overnight) for all the oil to run through (catch bottle at bottom).

This sounds interesting...get what you mean about "thread"!

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:07 pm

I take it that those with spinning up clutches aren't using car engine oil?

#17 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:45 pm

This has made me wonder about mine.

I'm due an oil change soon, and was putting it down to that, but things mentioned here make sense too.

I replaced the cable on my first TDM with the same results (no real improvement on adjustment take up).

It was a genuine Yam cable, but from Greece...??

Do you need the alignment tool when doing this work - I know Mr Henty has one he made...

Also - while on the subject of cables - whats the best thing to lubricate the cable itself, and how do people do theirs...?

This was still unanswered.

The manual says use of Yamaha tool for the job, but having never done any clutch work on the TDM, I don't know really whats required.

Going to replace the cable on mine anyway as I'm 65K in with the original cable, so it can't hurt.  I've got a spare set of EBC plates from the original TDM that never made it onto the bike before it was striped for spares...

I've read the "cleaning" of plates on a number of occassions, and can understand how this improves things, as the plates can be a place to attract a build up of goop...

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:37 pm

Looking at the service manual, you don't need a special tool to replace the clutch plates matey.  I didn't use an alignment tool on the 8fiddly and it was fine. 

Depending on the cable you get, you might not need to lube it.  I got a Slinky Glide wan and it's teflon coated so doesn't need oiling.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:06 pm

I fitted a TDM 850 clutch in my XTZ750 (broadly speaking the same engine as the 900, all one big happy family of twins :lol: ) , no special tools necessary. What mileage are you at Buzzo? My 900 is at 85K miles and the clutch is just as good as when I bought it at 6k miles. 

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#20 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:07 pm

Looking at the service manual, you don't need a special tool to replace the clutch plates matey.  I didn't use an alignment tool on the 8fiddly and it was fine. 

Depending on the cable you get, you might not need to lube it.  I got a Slinky Glide wan and it's teflon coated so doesn't need oiling.

Just read over the process again, and I think I must have been referring to the "universal tool" to hold the plates while removing/installing the clutch boss nut.

As it's "universal" I guess something like THIS will do the job...

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users