Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:16 pm

Went to check me lickle oil window and me oil had escaped ! :huh:

Put another 1.25ltrs in, went for a pootle then checked the window and poof ! gone again !

Been checking the oil level every 100 miles after noo piston rings etc jobby and it was perfik every time.  So, after 400 miles I didn't get round to checkin it quite so often. Well, it was 800 miles later to be exact. :blush2:

Anyhoos, went to buy 5ltrs of EXOL Optima for £15.86 at my local EXOL Optima shop :D and a noo filter from Halfords and then got back and drained the tank side first.  Got 3 drips and that was that. 

Then went to drain the sump, expecting there to be hardly any and...

[attachment=3163:Oilprob1.jpg]

All 5.25ltrs was sitting in the sump.  Good news from a noo piston jobby and it's not burning oil perspective :)

Bad news is I've either got a blockage or my oil scavenge pump is FUBAR'd.  Will report back with my fin dings.

Seems I caught it just in time. :rolleyes:  That's the problem, not the actual oil which oi missed big time. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:21 pm

I know you'll have already looked - this is more me seeing if I knew what to look for:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300900531396

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:13 pm

Pheeeeeeeew close one Studs,, but ya must of suspected cos you had the biccie tin ready an all,,,,,, not so BAD then eh,,chin up  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:12 pm

Looks like I'm gonna have to get me chin down fer sump removal.  Checked both oil pumps and they're fine, nothing broken and within wear tolerances (0.06mm) Gaskets and o'rings good.  Also blew down the oil return pipe and t'was clearer than a pealess whistle, just went phooooooooh !

So now gonna have to remove the ferkin' sump and check the strainer for blockage and oi don't have a new gasket to hand. :rolleyes:

Hate workin' upside down with drippin' oil everywhere.

Anyone know if a faulty pressure relief valve could cause the problem ? :unsure2:  I'll look in the haynes, ya never know !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:48 pm

Dropped the zorst and removed the sump.  Me strainer was full of old teabags. Brew anyone ? :lol:  :huh:

[attachment=3164:Oilprob2.jpg]

I think the lighter coloured stuff is masking tape/processed chicken and the darker stuff looks a bit loike cardboard.  Couldn't get the strainer cover removed so had to remove the housing.  The strainer gauze has a nice thick coating of stuff too.

Sooooo, looks loike disaster narrowly averted.  :badgerrock:

Managed to ruin the sump gasket so will need to order a noo wan or buy some Flexoid and make wan.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:56 pm

What the dickens!!!!!

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:30 pm

Close call that S.R. by the looks of it.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:47 pm

Will sir be requiring bread for his surplus of jam???

Glad you caught it in time mate.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:08 pm

Been racking me noggin but can't think how the crap got in there.  Might have happened when I renewed the oil tank gasket.

Got the strainer cover off and all cleaned up and ordered some gasket paper.

#10 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:25 pm

No figuring that one. Good catch.  :clapping:

#11 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:35 pm

Close call indeed Studders, well done for finding it. :good:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#12 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:46 pm

Been racking me noggin but can't think how the crap got in there.  Might have happened when I renewed the oil tank gasket.

Got the strainer cover off and all cleaned up and ordered some gasket paper.

Hi Studley!

Since you found the problem in time, then we have good news.
Would you dropped all that stuff into the engine when you changed the gasket of the oil tank? I do not know you personally, but I doubt that you would not notice. This is seeming act of some hidden enemy (thug).
I think you should wash the engine first, before concluding with a new oil change. There is the possibility of having some residue still inside the engine. A mixture of oil you removed + kerosene to wash the engine internally.
I have a friend who is a car mechanic and he makes this process for internal cleaning of pipelines. Operate the engine for a few minutes and then exhausted.
      The dirt clogged the filter preventing the relief valve work.
So your question is answered. If the relief valve does not work, the bike does not show the level. Is not it?

Cheers!

Sidarta

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:27 pm

weird !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:40 pm

A bit of lateral thinking, is there any possibility this could be result of mineral oil mixing with synthetic oil?

#15 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:19 am

A bit of lateral thinking, is there any possibility this could be result of mineral oil mixing with synthetic oil?

Nope is the only answer - there is more than enough literary evidence to dispel this myth, much of this evidence comes from oil manufacturers such as Mobil who say it is OK, but don't recommend it as the mix will have taken on the properties of the lesser oil i.e. your long life oil turns into regular thus making it even more expensive.

Personally I've mixed oils (i.e. whatever was available) both in viscosity and synth, semi, mineral blend and mono for donkey's ears in cars bikes lawnmowers et al. Nowt gone pop yet.......apart from me ears.

Well this should generate some my mates mates brothers cousins bike blew to the mooooon when s/he mixed oils.

:rolleyes:

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:37 am

Nope is the only answer -

I disagrozzle......it could be the cause if either the mineral or synthetic had some masking tape innit and/or teabags! :P

Miraculous save SR. 

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#17 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:34 am

Nice recovery Studders.  Hard to imagine you dropping cardboard and tape in the engine - it's a puzzler.

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:20 am

All my oils are miserable.  :)

Sidarta - nice theory but the thugs around here aren't blessed with such intelligence, they just burn things.  I don't think an engine flush is necessary really, it's had 1000 miles to circulate the engine and end up in the strainer.  Obviously I'll be checking for oil from the oilway bolt and checking the oil levels.  Might also be a good time to fit the Lee Henty pressure warning device. :rolleyes:

All I can think is that maybe I'd removed some tape & cardboard at some point then somehow it stuck to a piece of the engine then dropped in the hole.   :disbig:

Tbh, I'm less concerned about it than I was, when I thought me noo piston rings and cylinder refurb etc had failed and I was back to the 2ltrs per 1000 miles routine.

I must be in tune with my bike as I'd just got back from a ride thinking the bike felt a bit sluggish so decided to check the tyre pressures and oil level, just in case.

Would 5ltrs of oil in the sump be enough to force oil past the piston rings when the engine's running ? :unsure2:

#19 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:11 am

I disagrozzle......it could be the cause if either the mineral or synthetic had some masking tape innit and/or teabags! :P

Miraculous save SR. 

Why would one require a strainer if one is using tea bags to provide oil additives???? :rolleyes:

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:38 am

You realise now yer boike has a tea habit ewe will have to dunk in a Lionel Richtea every now and then to keep it runnin noice.  Or mayhaps even better it has a CAKE habit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users