11 replies to this topic

#1 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:43 pm

Off down South in the morning to Steve Jordan's in Great Bookham. Time to get the bike dyno done at last and get the suspension sorted. Don't know why but ever since I changed the tail-pipes the front end has been ridiculously light!

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:21 pm

Be very interested to hear your results.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:55 pm

I was going to pop down for a chat and to see what they got up to but it's not to be, let us know what you think, might get the same done with mine.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#4 Craig

Craig

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:47 am

Spooky !!.
Mines in tomorrow for exactly the same thing (Dyno rolling road set up for the power commander & front & rear suspension set up)
Not at Steve Jordan's though,a highly recommended chap a bit more local to me. So looking forward to your comments as well....

#5 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:32 pm

What a ride today! Nice blast to Surrey and back.

So...The suspension set-up bit, What an amazing difference!! The moment I sat on the bike after it was done it felt like a spine had been inserted under the seat. You don't realise how baggy, sloppy and bouncy your bike is in default set-up until you get someone to sort it. Now true, it did feel rock hard and a bit unsettling... for the first corner! But after that it just felt...well, proper. Instead of dropping into unseen potholes (Road near me, don't worry I go past it everyday...just forgot this time!) you kinda fly over them. Bumps on the M1 are passed over in a smooth strong way. And the feeling that the seat is actually there to support you is a very nice surprise.

£65 well spent and would recommend everyone does it.

Hhmm...The Dyno bit. Now I'm no speed freak so explaining this might be a little vague. The chap that did it showed me the before and after sheets and explained that the bike had been quite lean at low revs. He also said that the mid-throttle had been smoothed out. He also recommended a Power Commander. But to me riding home the bike felt worlds smoother at all revs. Leaving it in gear longer actually felt like the right thing to do, which is probably me anyway, I always change up too soon! Changing down was a huge surprise. I didn't get that lurch forward and roar of revs. Just a smooth purr of revs. NOW THIS COULD JUST BE MY RIDING!!! Let me know if it is :hide:

£40 spent wisely too,

Now the Power Commander. I know a lot of you chaps have one, and I appreciate the chaps at Steve Jordan's recommending one. But they quoted a price of £580 for one fitted. Do I actually need one? Is it truly worth the expense? Am I even near good enough a rider to get anything out of one?!?!

But apart from that it was a great experience. The staff are all welcoming and the aura of confidence and competence fills every nook and cranny. I will be going back there from now on, for everything from a service, to MOTs and especially when its time for the Nitron and Gold valves!!

#6 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:26 pm

If you think it's good now wait till you get the Nitron and Gold valves, it will feel ten times better again.
Now, power commander.
Should you get one? Yes
Will it do anything? Yes
It's it with £580? ???
Honestly I'd have to say not unless you ride with the likes of Readmarx and Waspy and Co where you need near perfect fueling just to make the ride enjoyable rather than hard work.
Of course if you have £600 to spare then fine but if you have to justify it then then I'd wait until you don't have to.

Edited by celticbiker, 08 September 2015 - 07:26 pm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#7 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:31 am

I can recommend Steve Jordan as well having used them last year for a Power Commander map on the new bike - I'm not sure one is really worth it if you have stock cans but with after markets it certainly makes a difference.

I also had the suspension set up at the same time and although it made a difference it's nothing like now. A couple of weeks ago I had a nitron shock fitted and the forks refurbed with Hagon springs here  - http://www.hmracing....sis-suspension/ and the difference is amazing.

I would happily have used Steve Jordan for this but HM Racing are within walking distance of me although they don't open weekends so I had to take a day off work. I would recommend them as much as Steve Jordan and they also do Dyno runs and Power Commander maps, the problem is they are racing most weekends so it's only midweek opening. 

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#8 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:33 am

Second hand PC3's go for around 130.00, mapping inc vat is around 200.00 max, I use HM Racing or Dynatech in Tadley. Fitting is easy on the TDM half hour at most, not including any other mods that may also improve the bike.

As for suss setup only so much can be done with stock gear as Celtic points out, tbh if you can't do basic sag and setup yourself then the moneys well spent, I often feel that 65 notes is a lot for a basic count off and measure up but workshops have to cover costs.

Imo mapping (PC3) does sort things out, but make sure you have done all your mods or you will spoil it later on should you do air box mod etc, I removed the lambda, airbox flapper and added my cans then mapped it. Bike is smooth from bottom end through the range.

I am guessing that they tweaked the CO values? We could not achieve much at all with the CO values in regards to mapping, the only way to map the range is with a PC3. Upping the idle speed helps with lurch when downshifting.

It is also possible to map both cylinders on the TDM with a PC3 however you will need sensor/probe points on both headers.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 09 September 2015 - 08:34 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#9 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:26 pm

Upping the idle speed helps with lurch when downshifting.

I did this very thing a few days before. Hadn't ridden the bike since so I reckon it is the higher idle speed. I set it at 1,400 but turned it down a frac to approx. 1,300.

Still contemplating fitting a power commander but if I'm honest, the Nitron shock and gold valves are first in line when it comes to £600 or so!

#10 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:54 am

I think thats a wise move, if you added the PC3 (you may get a S/H one in time) you'd have the best setup poss. I am tempted to drill and weld in sensor points to both headers and see how far out mine is, a clue is the bluing on one of my headers is somewhat longer than the other but prob down to the fact she was so lean before mapping. :)

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#11 Craig

Craig

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:46 am

I got mine back yesterday and after a run out last night I also concur getting the suspension set up was money well spent,I also had new upgraded fork oil,and the bike most definitely handles better.
Now regarding the power commander ( I have done the air box mod & fitted Remus cans) mine handles significantly better,70% I would say. I opted for a "custom" map to suit my riding style as opposed to say "full on real power",I now have a bike I can actually ride & enjoy,all gears are better,smoother down changes,no lurching or threatening to stall around town,so I would definitely recommend a Power Commander. Now I'm thinking a Nitron rear shock as well,just to finish it off

#12 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:19 pm

A power commander seems to be the way to go. May be pricey but I have no intention of ever selling the bike, so years of use seem to justify the outlay. Quite fancy getting it all done on the same day, power commander, gold valves and Nitron!! :rockon:

Amazing how the suspension can feel so different in such a short time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users