• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gilbert

gilbert

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:43 am

Had the TDM for 2 months now, love every min of riding on it.. Just that mine is 10 yrs old now, and there are bound to be wear and tear. notice some stains of dried coolant on my engine casing, so i decided to find the root if the problem, traced it back all the way to the radiator, it was leaking between the fins.

Removed the entire radiator and sand down the leaking area.

did a pressure test on the radiator,
(best way to do it at home is in the bathroom, covering all the hole, leaving only one access to the radiator, stick a hose in, and see where the water shoots out from..)
and there were 6 holes!

after i sand down the area and dried it, i apply 2 layer of epoxy (steel Hard), common known as JB weld. leaving for 1hr to dry, then i did a pressure test again. once i confirm that there was no where else leaking, i resprayed the radiator to give it a new look and left it over for the epoxy to fully settle in. fixed everything back, and now my radiator is working great. smile.gif

This method works great for hairline crack, small holes and etc. just thought i share.

Edited by gilbert, 21 November 2008 - 01:43 am.

#2 Magic

Magic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:38 pm

Good job Gilbert - worthy of being put into the Knowledgebase IMHO - tup.gif
Magic

The bike is faster than the eye or the hand.

Reborn MK1 - rubbish exhaust, dirty engine, missing bolts, missing mirrors, leathal rear tyre, crap carbs - but it doesn't ground out like my old CB750 Custom used to do :-)
Now with DL650 handguards and Garmin Sat Nav

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:34 pm

good lad, noice cheap and easy repair.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:14 pm

QUOTE(Magic @ Fri 21st Nov 2008, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good job Gilbert - worthy of being put into the Knowledgebase IMHO - tup.gif

I concur, Is there a 2nd admin vote?
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:30 pm

s'just a basic repair to a radiator imho, don't see why it warrants the KB though. cynical ole me huh !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#6 Magic

Magic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:25 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 22nd Nov 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
s'just a basic repair to a radiator imho, don't see why it warrants the KB though. cynical ole me huh !

Cos it IS an easy repair, and I would never have thought of doing it - I would have ditched it and bought another radiator - worth going in the Knowledgebase

Magic

The bike is faster than the eye or the hand.

Reborn MK1 - rubbish exhaust, dirty engine, missing bolts, missing mirrors, leathal rear tyre, crap carbs - but it doesn't ground out like my old CB750 Custom used to do :-)
Now with DL650 handguards and Garmin Sat Nav

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:57 pm

QUOTE(Magic @ Sat 22nd Nov 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cos it IS an easy repair, and I would never have thought of doing it - I would have ditched it and bought another radiator - worth going in the Knowledgebase

that says alot rolleyes.gif

#8 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:02 am

KB it is then...
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#9 gilbert

gilbert

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:29 pm

quick update... after 10000 km, the epoxy is still holding good, even with a off road fall recently... proven solution that helps save money and save your radiator.. smile.gif

#10 JamJar

JamJar

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:44 pm

when doing this , just be carefull that the resin doesnt seep into the hole/crack and block the channel inside , late last year i had to repair a bently that had a similar problem that was fixed by a mobile mechanic , the resin he used completely blocked the fin and somehow caused it to blow
Previous; Kwaka zx10 GSXR Hybrid , ZXR750, Z750,Z400, Honda CB750, CB400, CB250, Yamaha TZR 125 , DT50, 1957 Phillips Gadabout "deluxe" 49 cc pedal and go, scariest thing i ever rode

#11 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:04 pm

An aussie mate accidentally drilled a small hole in the rad of his Frontera several years back. He called into me to see if I had any ideas. Coolant had pissed out through the hole by the time he reached me. Did a 'temporary' repair with 2-part epoxy putty and refilled rad with coolant and water to get him over the weekend.
2 years later he sold it, not a drop had leaked out.
Total repair time, about 5 mins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users