#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:07 pm

Okay i'm contemplating getting a flip up,,,,,,lots of choice and would just go buy the shark evo 2 but i'm not convinced it's worth the money,,,,i mean i could spend £50 or £500 but still wont know till i ride with it on,,, here's a few i've been looking at,,,, Caberg Sintissi, konda,,,,,a Nolan, maybe an Airoh triple which got 2nd place on MCN for under £300,,,

I like the review on the Sintissi,,, i know experiences will be varied due to a few nominating factors,, but anyone got some opininons.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:13 pm

schuberth C3 is by far the best i've had so far, cost me £340
i've previously has just about every incarnation of carbergs justissimo and a schuberth C2

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:21 pm

Care to elaborate please Tony ? Better in what way ? Also, do ya find it any heavier than the others when yer wearin' it ?

I've been using a Caberg trip and it's ok when the sun's shining, but, it leaks from the top when it's raining hard and runs down the inside of the visor rolleyes.gif certainly entertaining !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:47 pm

bought a bmw system 6 couple of years back, its light 1580grms, got excellent ventilation and pretty quiet. Made by schuberth similar to their own system helmet but a bit cheaper. Paid £330.
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#5 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:56 pm

Nitro F347 VN With Flip down inner visor

Best Helmet I have ever had, quieter than Cabergs and cumfy

Oh, £80 delivered. Be using it this summer good.gif

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:07 pm

Another vote for the C3. Not noticeably any heavier than my old full face Shoei Raid but one hell of a lot quieter and the ventilation is fantastic, virtually no misting problems riding around in the cold and wet. Not cheap though but I'd happily have another if I had to replace it. Internal sun visor is well worth it too.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:33 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nitro F347 VN With Flip down inner visor

Best Helmet I have ever had, quieter than Cabergs and cumfy

Oh, £80 delivered. Be using it this summer good.gif

That's got my attention biggrin.gif only 80 squiddlies,,, i can but dont want to spend out really for the C3, i presently have a brilliant carbon HJC full face which i got on sale for £280,,, and after trying nephews HJC for £120 i really dont know why i bought it,,, fits the bloody same, sounds the same,, mines just prettier.

Another reason i like Cats suggestion is i can try a Nolan on before i buy,, not the same model but will give me a clue,,,, how tall ya you are sat in the saddle in addition to the screen you use is all gonna have some affect so opinions will defo differ,,,,,,,,,anyhow if i have a flip up i will be able to give me fellow Niners a peck on the cheek at the traffic lights wub.gif

Keep it comin chaps,, makes for interestin reading.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:31 pm

Had a Trip and was happy with it except it was noisy but the earplugs quietened it. I bought it because it was the only flip with a 5 star Sharp rating at the time. Replaced it after my off last June. There was some scraping where my head hit the road but it didn't open which was good. When I went to buy another they were no longer available so I got the Konda which replaced it and is quite similar except it has the anti fog, anti scratch visor and a positive locking mechanism in the up position so you can use it up at low speeds if you wanted to. The anti fog coating started to peel off immediately and the front of the visor scratched despite me using the Vee cleaning system. I think I must have got a Monday morning visor and I have a new one on order. The Konda is comfortable and the rain doesn't come down the inside of the visor as it did on the Trip.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#9 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:32 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
schuberth C3 is by far the best i've had so far

wifgeni.gif

I have a BMW System 5 too and the Schubert edges it! It really is worth the dollar Cliff.
You won't need to worry about another helmet apart from your purple one. rolleyes.gif

Matt

#10 jim850wav

jim850wav

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:39 pm

http://i1202.photobu.../DSC00659-1.jpg HJC best £100 I ever spent
Slightly beat up Mk1 but still going

#11 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:57 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's got my attention biggrin.gif only 80 squiddlies,,, i can but dont want to spend out really for the C3, i presently have a brilliant carbon HJC full face which i got on sale for £280,,, and after trying nephews HJC for £120 i really dont know why i bought it,,, fits the bloody same, sounds the same,, mines just prettier.

Another reason i like Cats suggestion is i can try a Nolan on before i buy,, not the same model but will give me a clue,,,, how tall ya you are sat in the saddle in addition to the screen you use is all gonna have some affect so opinions will defo differ,,,,,,,,,anyhow if i have a flip up i will be able to give me fellow Niners a peck on the cheek at the traffic lights wub.gif

Keep it comin chaps,, makes for interestin reading.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=200582450332

#12 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:07 pm

The Only flip I've ever owned is my Sheoi multitec, only a sharp3 rating ranting.gif but it seems quieter than my previous full face helmets, and the ventilation works well, comes with pinlock insert and spare visor, and extra bits to seal out the weather, which is nice at the moment.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#13 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:32 pm

QUOTE(TDMick @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Only flip I've ever owned is my Sheoi multitec, only a sharp3 rating ranting.gif but it seems quieter than my previous full face helmets, and the ventilation works well, comes with pinlock insert and spare visor, and extra bits to seal out the weather, which is nice at the moment.

I have been using my Shoei Multitec for the last 3 years now, it is starting to show its age ( gets used almost daily) & dispite the disappointing SHARP rating I think it is a great helmet ( it cant be that bad as the Police use them) As TDMMick say vents work good the pinlock when installed correct & is clean works great& with the whisper kit I think it is one of the quieter helmets I have owned. When the Shoei needs replaced I will probably go with the Schubert or BMW system helmet if I can afford them if not I would not discount getting another Multitec.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#14 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:18 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Care to elaborate please Tony ? Better in what way ? Also, do ya find it any heavier than the others when yer wearin' it ?

i doesnt feel any heavier than my other lids
but its much sturdier than the caberg which creaks and cracks if you put pressure on it, the schuberths dont
the liners last longer, the inners dont wear out as quick, the ventilation on the C3 is really very good, not once have i had any foggy obscure my vision, some fogging at the edges but never in the centre
they are just a better product, but they are twice the price

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#15 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:25 am

I bought an Arai Chaser, it's the most comfy helmet I could find after trying on everything I could find.
I don't pay any attention to the SHARP rating, as the Arai gets a poor result compared to some £50 helmets, the write up in MCN didn't give SHARP much credit.
Anyway, my Arai is really comfy and I've been looking for a flip up lid for touring, ideally with an integral tinted drop down visor. I've tried on loads and the most comfy one I can find is the HJC IS MAX,
HJC IS MAX

I bought my son the HJC FS MAX, its a higher spec model than the IS MAX but I prefer the fit of the IS MAX

I've fitted then removed then fitted and removed and fitted again, argh, intercom systems and I'd have to say that the fit and finish of the HJC is very good even compared with the Arai.

Edited by maximuspetrolhead, 05 March 2011 - 08:27 am.

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:56 am

The bit of the Sharp rating I would pay attention to for a flip front helmet is the percentage of impacts where the front stayed shut. The Trip, C3 and N102/103 get 90%, 97% and 100% respectively. The entire front of Hutches Takachi came off when he crashed a couple of years ago.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:49 am

I have two now the Justissimo GT and the Konda.

Konda on E-bay

I must admit for £75 it is fantastic value.

I am enjoying using the Konda, its lighter, better fit and probably quieter than the GT.

The visability is brilliant.

Well worth the money.

Cheers, Ivan
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:00 am

Oh well,, i did have to bloody ask did'n i laugh.gif okay expensive helmet,, not going to entertain although i think it's probably true that "ya get what ya pay for" but i gonna slum it, tongue.gif Cats,,, i will be trying a Nolan to see what the fit is likeTedeum,,, i will also be trying the Konda for fit,,,like the look of it and it's a Caberg so could be good (£70)Maximus,,, ya could potentially mb have a winner there,,,cos i laready have a HJC and it's gooooooood for me head.Jim850,,,,, say's a lot reallyAnd you lot who have lots of dosh laugh.gif I will say i think your probably correct,, i expect to find a flip to be a bit noisier but i always wear plugs and like a bit of wind, ha ha but i think i'm gonna go the cheaper end and see if i like the flip in the 1st instance,,will have tyres to buy as well b4 long so that's also made up me mind,,,,,and Studley,, i would'n forget your contribution,,, so seein as ya aint so far away,, i could nip along and have a good look at your helmet yeahyeahyeah.gif giveusahug.gif
QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Sat 5th Mar 2011, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have two now the Justissimo GT and the Konda.Konda on E-bayI must admit for £75 it is fantastic value.I am enjoying using the Konda, its lighter, better fit and probably quieter than the GT.The visability is brilliant.Well worth the money.Cheers, Ivan
Yep cheers Ivan,, that's interesting and good to know it's an improvement on the GT,,it's defo piqued my fancy,,,think i will have to pop up to Ghostbikes and have a try,,, what makes the visibility so good,,,,is the visor wider,,bigger than norm.

#19 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:27 am

The shape is contoured, so its lower either side of your nose.

For me it means I can see my hands, indicators, and switches without moving my head.

Small thing but it has made difference.

I've only used it 7-8 times so its nearly new, if your a Medium, 57-58 and want to go for a spin with it.

Give me a shout, it will save you going up to Preston !

Cheers Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 05 March 2011 - 10:58 am.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:43 am

Smashing Ivan that's my size as well,,i'll take you up on that offer thank you very much,,, got another 5 nights in work yet so maybe sometime over the next weekend if that fits in with you,,,, or whenever suits you.
OOH im excited now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users