39 replies to this topic

#21 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:31 pm

Still waiting for MS to tell my i'm ready for W10 - got impatient and did an upgrade using an ISO - didn't go well.

Back to W7 for now.

I was part of the beta testing group for W10 on the same PC, and it was fine (buggy but fine).

I'm truly amazed at the amount of analysis and downloading/updating that is going on in the background.

My ISP must be taking gigabytes of hits.

ijp0ijo_zps6xekd0n7.jpg

#22 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:31 pm

Now have 5 laptops on Win 10. Migration was a breeze albeit rather lengthy. Works fine on all of the ....so far.

As for Linux, I've given it a few tries and have not been overly impressed. I know it improves with each incarnation but I'll stick with MS - at least I can get proper drivers for everything and have a much broader choice in software.

Linux got a store yet?

#23 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:36 pm

What do you mean by store?
What are you hoping to buy?

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#24 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:29 pm

What do you mean by store?
What are you hoping to buy?

Not buy - download like Play or (god forbid) the itunes/apple store. Or even windows store. Less chance of ending up with dodgy software.

I've used a number of releases of Linux (from Fiesty Fawn and on)  and always had some sort of operability problem. The claims are that it runs on much less demanding hardware than windows - in my experience it's not that good on older hardware ~3 years older, reasonable spec at the tie of purchase. 

TBH I would like it to be as good as Windows as well as the claims made for it but until then I'll stick with Microsoft Windows XP, Win 7 and Win 10.

#25 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:57 pm

Had a pop up on my laptop saying I can have win 10 upgrade for free. Will it still run my old progs I have which run in XP mode?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#26 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:01 pm

Yes is the short answer.
Most Linux based systems use the Ubuntu repos so all the software you need can be found in one place.
Just navigate from start- system- software centre and you'll find anything you want and all for free.
Fiesty fawn, wow that's a blast from the past.
Ubuntu is suffering a lack of direction at the moment and using the unity gui isn't running them any fans.
If you want something for older hardware then I would recommend puppy Linux but even then I would suggest peppermint six 32 bit.
I have a ten year old IBM running on it with no problems.
If you can boot from USB or know how to do so, I have a live USB you can borrow to try it and install along side(dual boot) windows if you want. If you post the spec of your machine I can be more helpful, so long as its not an Acer aspire.

#27 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:47 pm

Ah, I was going to give my old Acer Aspire a go! Not really a good machine.

The other machine I could try it on is my Lenovo ideapad s205 with 8gb of ram. I use that for odds and sods and for holidays.

#28 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:49 pm

The new Windows 10 > "applied to all" / "forced update policy" has nuked my no.3, old faithfull Vista installation.

Now we're cooking on elementaryOS Freya (a linux distro) and have got it dual booting on my Win10 laptop too.

The joke is,

If you're gonna make the jump, it's best to have a second pc alongside, opened to the web, so that you can fathom wtf is going on.  :P

#29 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:47 pm

Yes is the short answer.
Most Linux based systems use the Ubuntu repos so all the software you need can be found in one place.
Just navigate from start- system- software centre and you'll find anything you want and all for free.
Fiesty fawn, wow that's a blast from the past.
Ubuntu is suffering a lack of direction at the moment and using the unity gui isn't running them any fans.
If you want something for older hardware then I would recommend puppy Linux but even then I would suggest peppermint six 32 bit.
I have a ten year old IBM running on it with no problems.
If you can boot from USB or know how to do so, I have a live USB you can borrow to try it and install along side(dual boot) windows if you want. If you post the spec of your machine I can be more helpful, so long as its not an Acer aspire.

What's wrong with an Acer Aspire?

Put windoze 1o on it yesterday and got my sound card back :badgerrock: , it went walkies after going from 8 to 8.1 :rant:

Probably on my journey to Linux though.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#30 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:51 am

Binned my year old MS laptop in a moment of fury and bought a Mac. Problems solved.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#31 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:48 am

Ah, I was going to give my old Acer Aspire a go! Not really a good machine.

The other machine I could try it on is my Lenovo ideapad s205 with 8gb of ram. I use that for odds and sods and for holidays.

Used my Acer Aspire to dual boot.

Lenovo ideapad is likely a no-no, due to the sneaky, root-kit, bios based crap ware they have on-board.

TOP TIP

Make an external disc image of your system using Macrium Reflect.

I had to restore the machine back to original at least 6 times before I hit the jackpot.

If you have a UEFI/Secure Boot BIOS then add all the new partitions as PRIMARY.

Turn off Secure Boot and keep UEFI on. Install as UEFI.

Disable hibernation in Windows.

Point the installation bootloader at the linux root partition you are installing (/) and flag it as bootable. You should be good to go.

It took me a week of sifting through all the bad info / editing errors on the internet before I discovered the correct combination.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 05 October 2015 - 10:50 am.

#32 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:59 am

Now have 5 laptops on Win 10. Migration was a breeze albeit rather lengthy. Works fine on all of the ....so far.

As for Linux, I've given it a few tries and have not been overly impressed. I know it improves with each incarnation but I'll stick with MS - at least I can get proper drivers for everything and have a much broader choice in software.

Linux got a store yet?

I suggest you take a look at elementaryOS (Freya)

A very good "Store" and it was called ISIS before it had to be renamed. :lol::ph34r: Not as orange as Ubuntu either. (for obvious reasons)

#33 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:35 pm

Thankyou young sir, I'll give that a go. My mum has relinquished her desktop that I'd provided so I think I'll use that. I was toying with either mint or freya so will take your advice.

#34 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:27 pm

Mint and Freya are great distros but I am a huge fan of peppermint 6.
You also get great support for it as one of the devs is also the administrator for the UK Linux forums.
http://linuxforums.org.uk/

#35 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:44 pm

Back to the WIn 10 upgrade.....tried it...found it to be (IMHO) to be CR@P...now back to win7 thingy. Cant get my head round LINUX.

May try pen paper and stamps....

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#36 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:24 am

Cant get my head round LINUX.
May try pen paper and stamps....

In what way?

#37 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:17 pm

The new Windows 10 > "applied to all" / "forced update policy" has nuked my no.3, old faithfull Vista installation.

Now we're cooking on elementaryOS Freya (a linux distro) and have got it dual booting on my Win10 laptop too.

The joke is,

If you're gonna make the jump, it's best to have a second pc alongside, opened to the web, so that you can fathom wtf is going on.  :P

Didn't think the windows 10 upgrade covered Vista?

#38 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:29 pm

Didn't think the windows 10 upgrade covered Vista?

It doesn't.

But MS sent update patches that force Vista to now accept forced updates, loike W10 has to.

That's when my system fell over and couldn't get up.

Vista now has to accept forced updates, or so I've heard. - I've tried to find reference to this via Google, but there seems to be very little about it. I am not mad I tell you.

I heard about it on a tech site, saw the relevant updates arrive, watched subsequent updates fail and buggered the system trying to repair it the way I have done before.

Repaired it finally, installing elementaryOS.

Now have a new hobby and am studying up on the command line and how linux works.

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 10 October 2015 - 06:17 pm.

#39 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:08 pm

In what way?

From square one...a bit of a luddite here when it comes to OS. Only every tried Windows, and never had the guts to try to get Linux up and running.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#40 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:44 pm

It doesn't.

But MS sent update patches that force Vista to now accept forced updates, loike W10 has to.

That's when my system fell over and couldn't get up.

Vista now has to accept forced updates, or so I've heard. - I've tried to find reference to this via Google, but there seems to be very little about it. I am not mad I tell you.

I heard about it on a tech site, saw the relevant updates arrive, watched subsequent updates fail and buggered the system trying to repair it the way I have done before.

Repaired it finally, installing elementaryOS.

Now have a new hobby and am studying up on the command line and how linux works.

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00

Getting serious now! takes me back to my Unix and DOS days!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users