#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:35 am

After many years of me tryin, some of the Clanners lads have been convinced that although Oxfordshoire is flat...ya dunt fall oft the edge if ya leave it.......the world ain't flat tongue.gif

So, they now want to go touring on their boikes and want muggins ear to be squadron leader. blink.gif

Want to go somewhere that makes em go "WOW". We have a week for this. Some say they "might" come if its in the UK. But 3 of emm wanna go wherever it is. I don't want to arrange stuff for the "mights" and spoil the "WOW" for the "wherevers" when the "mights" might not even come but at same time it would be good to drag the "mights" from the gravitational field of Clanners.

Some quessies:

1) Scotland or the Alps (or somewhere else)?
2) Alps too far for 1 week with noobie tourers?
3) What is reasonable mileage per day? 200-300?
4) How do you persuade a bunch of soft lads that camping is a better idea than B&B? laugh.gif
5) When is good time of year for Scotland (thinkin traffic and midgies) and Alps (thinkin traffic and snow)?

Bo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0p

EDIT: Route planning:

Applecross - Skye for sure.
Applecross - Ullapool, Lochinver, Scourie, Durness, Tongue.............. great roads - Dandy.
A701, from Edinburgh to Moffat, (approx. 50 miles) - Paco.
Snake Pass and the Trough of Bowland and a fantastic single track stretch over a big hill that I can't for the life of me remember the name of - ChrisG
From Gretna I can recommend the B7076/78 - It runs pretty much parallel to the M74. - srvben
The A896 from Lochcarron to Kinlochewe is cool - srvben
'mad wee road' - from Lochinver to Achiltibuie. - srvben
the A82. Up past Loch Lomond then later through Glencoe to Ballachulish - srvben
the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum - srvben
the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig - srvben
hartside , into kielder , st mary's loch , and the leadhills road - amarko
devils bridge , settle , giggleswick, ribblehead, hawes, then either sedburgh to kendal and A6 or hawes nateby, kirkby, middleton in teesdale , alston - amarko
A828 the is a nice cafe just passed Creggan - TAM
B&B/hostel is Corran House in Oban - cyco
the B869, Lochinver - Newton via Drumbeg. - assyntgirl

EDIT: Route plan so far....please lettuce snow if ya have any betterer ideas.

A429
A444
A38
A61
A57 Snake Pass - ChrisG
M67
M60
M66
A56
A671 Clitheroe
B6478 - Trough of Bowland - ChrisG
A59
A65 - gigglewick, settle - amarko
B6479 - B6255 - Hawes - A684 - B6259 Nateby - A685 - B6276 - Middleton in Teesdale - B6277 - A689 Brampton - A686 Hartside -A6
A65/A6 - carlisle
A74
B7076/78 from Gretna - Boghead/Sandford - srvben
A726 - paisley
M8
M898/A898
A82 - Loch lomond - Crinlarich - Tyndrum (The Green Welly Stop) - Fort William - (Roybridge as base for a day or so)- srvben
..or A85 at Tyndrum then A828 (cafe at Creagan) - TAM
A830 to Malaig - ferry - Skye (though A861 look good? Never done that one.).
..or A87 Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh...arghhhhh.
Blat round Skye.....any suggestions for routes?
A87 (over bridge)....bridge now toll free- amarko Ferret timetabel: http://www.calmac.co...ig-armadale.gif
A890 Auchtertyre - New Kelso
A896 Tornapress
Bealach Na Ba Tornapress to Applecross - z900, weeman
Bealach Na Ba Applecross to Tornapress - z900, weeman
A896 Kinlochewe - srvben
A832 (right or left?)
A835 Ullapool - Drumrunie lodge (hang left) - weeman, srvben
Road past Loch Lurgainn..Loch Osgaig (towrds Achiltibuie)
Hang right head North to Lochinver (or is it worth goin south first into Achiltibuie?). -srvben
B869 (left) or A837 (right)?
A894 - Unapool - Scourie - weeman
A838 - Durness (there is a pedestrian only ferry to Cape wrath or summat?).
More A838....to TONGUE.....gotta go to that pub again.
Moray Firth (Chanonry Point) - Dolphins and seal argh argghh argghhh).
Some detours! http://www.richard-b...e/mm-p21-28.pdf Snorvey
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:40 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Scotland or the Alps (or somewhere else)? Scotland
2) Alps too far for 1 week with noobie tourers? I think it maybe
3) What is reasonable mileage per day? 200-300? Thats what I like to do that way you actually see things
4) How do you persuade a bunch of soft lads that camping is a better idea than B&B? laugh.gif Tell them wimmin think it really cool
5) When is good time of year for Scotland (thinkin traffic and midgies) and Alps (thinkin traffic and snow)? May

Bo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0p

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:52 am

As a not very experienced tourer I've found on a few forrays in to france that 300 miles in a day is the most you want to do, maybe less if you're camping and will therefore take longer to get going in the mornings. By the time you've had your breakfast, mid morning coffee and croissant stop, a nice lunch break at a village cafe, and your afternoon coffee and pain au chocolat break, anything more than 300 miles in a day doesn't leave you much time for sightseeing. Plus if they've never toured before they're probably not used to doing more than an hour or two in the saddle.

To do the alps in a week you're looking at a couple of high-ish mileage days to get there, plus a couple of days back, which doesn't leave you a lot of time to play in the mountains.

If you took them to Scotland (or maybe Wales or Ireland) and managed to drag a few of the "mights" along they could well become "wherevers" for next year.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:58 am

1) Scotland or the Alps (or somewhere else)? scotland - the current exchange rate will make the alps much more expensive
2) Alps too far for 1 week with noobie tourers? not much further than scotland really
3) What is reasonable mileage per day? 200-300? 250 is a sightseeing day, 400-500 is a get somewhere day
4) How do you persuade a bunch of soft lads that camping is a better idea than B&B? laugh.gif whats wrong with B&B ? me loikes both
5) When is good time of year for Scotland (thinkin traffic and midgies) and Alps (thinkin traffic and snow)? jockland dunno, alps early june is best

touring wise always decide a cut off time. ie 6pm you make for the nearest sleeping quarters

both Alps & Scotland are doable in a day from Southern England, but ...... if they are that soft it'll prolly hurt their bottoms too much......

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:48 am

What about Stonehenge? dry.gif

Any of these lads actually been there?
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:53 am

a lovely area, but way to touristy, lots of attention.gif & scameras and major towns&cities are pretty close

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:32 am

Spanks for the replies.

Sounds like maybe me Alps plan was a tad ambitious, though I was really hopin to shock the feckers. Think yer right Chris, try and win over a few "mights" and not get too ambitious to start with. Jeebus out of touch with exchange rate.......yeah Alps would be much more expensive.

May might be a tad too soon to get it all organised. June should be ok'ish for Scotland?

400-500 miles a day would put them off for sure....these guys spend max of 2 hours for a day a week in the summer riding in and around the local area.

Reason to try and get em to camp is....cos its basically all I can afford if this is gonna happen. The other option in Scotland is to try and make hostel type places (like Roy Bridge) as a compromise. Also its possible if all the "mights" come along that we have 10ish peeps (unlikely).....making B&B a bit tricky.

Thomas, luckily they don't live too far from Avebury (close to the Oxon border) tongue.gif which in my very biased opinion is much more interesting and spectacular than Stonehenge as it also has Silbury Hill, the Long Barrows and various other historically linked sites in the vicinity. But yes they have beed there. smile.gif

Thanks for the advice....keep it comin.

b0oo0o00o0p

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:38 am

If your touring Scotland I would work things out with an average speed of 40mph when you start to go more north of loch lomond as some of the "A" road are aot more twisty than they look on the map.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:53 am

OK thanks Tam will do that, think its gonna be Scotland. I remember some of the roads are also bloody fast as there is burger hall traffic and noice sweepin bends....loike the road to Ullapool. badgrock.gif

Next quessie:

Roads/places to visit in Scotland? Can think of MANY but would appreciate some suggestions for roads and routes. Will prolly head up North West as far as possible and then come back doon more Easterly.

b0o0oo00op

#10 z900guy

z900guy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 137 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:08 pm

if you are going to Scotland you have to do Applecross just north of Plockton near the Kyle of Locash and a good place to base yourself for a blast round the Isle of Skye . Weve done it a few times and going back May Bank Holiday weekend , its just far enough into the highlands and the scenery is breathtaking

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:45 pm

Scotland list of Roads and places to visit:

Applecross - for sure. There is B&B (at the pub?) there aswell as camping?

#12 Guest_Favs_*

Guest_Favs_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:22 pm

After many years of me tryin, some of the Clanners lads have been convinced that although Oxfordshoire is flat...ya dunt fall oft the edge if ya leave it.......the world ain't flat tongue.gif

1) Scotland or the Alps (or somewhere else)? of the two go French Alps cos they will go wow and then no probs getting them to go again and further and longer
2) Alps too far for 1 week with noobie tourers? No3) What is reasonable mileage per day? 200-300? Easy if on motorway difficult if not
4) How do you persuade a bunch of soft lads that camping is a better idea than B&B? Cost and if owt goes wrong a site is easy to find as is help/assistance/likeminded folk.
5) When is good time of year for Scotland (thinkin traffic and midgies) and Alps (thinkin traffic and snow)? Scotland Midsummer between 10am and 3pm (west coast/glencoe) alps mainly busy all august

#13 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:48 pm

Agree with most of whats been said..............one negative of noobies abroad could be their comfort at riding on the right.

June's good for up here - midsummer at applcross the sun's down around 11 and twilight at midnight til 1 then it's light again.

Midgies do start biting in June - stick to the coast for a breeze - the wee feckers don't like the wind dry.gif

As you prolly know, th East and West are quite different, both good but the West IS spectacular and dramatic!

Here's a hostel guide.....

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/

Applecross - Ullapool, Lochinver, Scourie, Durness, Tongue.............. great roads.

Lettuce snow when you're coming up - and I'll make sure I'm well away from youse - nothing worse than a bunch of southern fannies who've never seen a hill clogging up the roads.................. laugh.gif

Edited by dandywarhol, 22 April 2008 - 06:50 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:12 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lettuce snow when you're coming up - and I'll make sure I'm well away from youse - nothing worse than a bunch of southern fannies who've never seen a hill clogging up the roads.................. laugh.gif

...check yer PM's....again.. tongue.gif

Spanks fur the hostel linky dink.

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:19 pm

Tongue.......
Not yet recovered from me last visit. Went to that pub under the hotel there, judging by the frosty reception me thinks its for locals only. laugh.gif
Applecross
B&B there?

#16 Paco

Paco

sticking around

• 26 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:28 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK thanks Tam will do that, think its gonna be Scotland. I remember some of the roads are also bloody fast as there is burger hall traffic and noice sweepin bends....loike the road to Ullapool. badgrock.gif

Next quessie:

Roads/places to visit in Scotland? Can think of MANY but would appreciate some suggestions for roads and routes. Will prolly head up North West as far as possible and then come back doon more Easterly.

b0o0oo00op

In the way down, you could go through the A701, from Edinburgh to Moffat, (approx. 50 miles) which will take you to the juntion 15 of the A74. Nice bendy road, no really busy, with fairly new tarmac. Getting near to Moffat you could enjoy your last drammatic views of the scottish glens. It could be a good way to say ADIOS to Scotland, before hitting the motorway back home.

Paco.

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:08 pm

Great, thanks Paco, have added that to the list. Plan on doing very little motorway both there and back. Will prolly go up through Wales and the lakes me thinks.

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:24 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not yet recovered from me last visit. Went to that pub under the hotel there, judging by the frosty reception me thinks its for locals only. laugh.gif B&B there?

http://www.applecross.uk.com/

Ever heard of Google in Fannyland??????? rolleyes.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:35 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever heard of Google in Fannyland??????? rolleyes.gif

Yeah but luckily we have a monkeyboy to do it for us.....have a banana. smile.gif

#20 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:45 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah but luckily we have a monkeyboy to do it for us.....have a banana. smile.gif

banana.gif Google FANNYLAND and you get this.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users