• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:15 pm

In May last year I bought my TDM900A to replace my 900 Diversion that I have had from new. The Divvy is getting a bit heavy when shoving it about (in and out of shed). I had been looking for a TDM for a while after test riding one at a local dealers. I have always had twins before I got the Divvy so the TDM was a perfect choice. Although taller than the Divvy, it is miles easier to push. I have learned how to ride it, sounds daft, but I was riding it like the D9 - WRONG! I rev it now – not to the redline but perhaps to five or six thousand rpm before changing. Third for 30 they said at my speed awareness course and they were right.

The problem is - I don’t love it – I want to love it – it makes me smile when I wind it up in second, third and forth gear and it goes like sh_t.

I have thought long and hard so I thought I would test the water on this brilliant forum and offer it up for sale.

The bike is 2008 on a 57 plate. It has under 22,000 miles on the clock and is MOT’d until May 2019. It is in excellent condition having some useful extras, which consist of Givi panniers and top box, centre stand and engine bars which were on the bike when I bought it. I have added Oxford heated grips and a set of Suzuki hand guards. It has a taller screen, but I have the stock one on at the moment. I have also put a louder horn in place of the piddling things they come with.

I have to say when I bought it, I nearly fell off at the first corner! Plus I noticed the tickover was very high. After the 130 odd mile ride home I had got used to the front tyre, which was the culprit for the dodgy handling.

A new tyre of course sorted the weird handling. And after finding this forum and a quick search it seemed the tickover problem was due to the cold start mechanism, so that was stripped out and fettled (didn’t fit a gaitor though). I have to say while I delved into the innards of the bike there were no nasty surprises. I also changed the plugs and wrapped the ht leads in amalgamating tape following advice gained on this site. The bike wasn’t run every week and when I came to start it, it wouldn’t fire up straight away – like it does when its warm – so I have fitted a new Yuasa battery – so now it starts like it should. I have also changed the oil and filter, stripped and re-greased the suspension rocker. I have also added a front and rear fenda extenda – the rear being a homebrewed affair, after the lock on the top-box got plastered in mud.

Like I have said I am testing the water. I need to get very close to £3000 for it. If I can’t, I will hang on to it and see what happens. So if anyone is looking for one, I don’t think you will be disappointed. I looked at loads before I saw this bike.

I am located on the Fylde Coast in Lancashire.

Mods - if I have done summat wrong please accept my apologies.

Please get in touch if you want higher res photos.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you lot, but feel free to post any comments.

Many thanks

Attached Files

#2 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:23 pm

Nice clean bike, should shift that quickly, GLWS  :good:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:57 pm

Yep it looks cared for,GLWS.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:14 pm

As others have said looks good

It's a Pity your not gelling with the Bike but I'm
sure you'll be able to find a buyer glws

#5 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:58 am

Thanks for the comments.

I am thinking of using it tomorrow for a 300 mile jaunt. (Accompanying a mate riding to London - I turn back at lunch)

See - I am trying.

Many thanks.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:51 pm

Spike, how tall are you, and how wide are your shoulders ?

I know it's a weird ask, but I find the riding experience is changed drastically depending on the handlebars, the angle and the position of them, and of course the width.

Yesterday I removed the the drastic  Renthal 971's and refitted the Renthal 756 i had before, I went for a ride today and it felt a bit unwieldy, until I rotated the bars forward nearly an inch, thats when the feel improved and I felt more connected to what the front end was doing.

Just wondering if you feel a bit detached because of the relationship between your shoulders/arms, and the bars

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:53 am

Hi and thanks for your input. As far as I know the bars are stock, but I see what you are saying about fine adjustments. I am average height and build - 11.5 Stone, but riding position is fine - it's just the whole package.

Having said that I was out yesterday - and I loved it! So for the next few trips, I'm going to leave the Divvy tucked up and take the TDM and we'll see where we go from there.

Thanks again for the comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users