#1 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:15 pm

My trusty Garmin 590LM is refusing to acquire satellites.   Any suggestions?  I've done a factory reset and updated it (again) and still no joy.

It's bloody annoying cos I've just managed to fix what I thought was a dodgy battery problem after 3 years!

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:27 pm

After a factory reset it may need quite a while for first fix as it will need to download a new almanac from the satellites, there was a date roll back issue on some satnavs last year too.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:54 pm

After a factory reset it may need quite a while for first fix as it will need to download a new almanac from the satellites, there was a date roll back issue on some satnavs last year too.

Thanks Snowbird.  Wassat mean exactly?  Do I just leave it on for it to do that?

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:59 pm

Verify the GPS simulator is turned off.  Also make sure you're outside when trying to locate satellites.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:25 pm

Verify the GPS simulator is turned off.  Also make sure you're outside when trying to locate satellites.

Did that already.

But... left it for a while and it worked!!  Thanks both.  You've no idea how close I was to f@*"!*g into the nearest hedge!  :lol:

If anyone ever needs a fix for the dodgy battery issue they suffer from, shout.

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:53 pm

Probably the cold start thing, the sats are never quite in the right position as they change orbit over time so if not used for too long the gps has to try and get a fix with no idea where the sats are, once it has a link it downloads the latest almanac which is like a list of corrections so it knows where the sats actually are rather than where they should have been, once the gps has that info it should get a fix much quicker, without accurate almanac data the signals may not make enough sense to work out it's position.

You didn't really want to know any of that now it's working again did you.

Disclaimer: I'm a greasemonkey not a navigation expert so all the above could be complete b*llocks but it's how I understand it to work.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#7 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:57 pm

Well I believe you anyway! Im chuffed its sorted. I can map read but prefer to follow the wee box. Thanks again.

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:12 pm

I also use the low tech backup method of road numbers on paper in my tank bag window.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:17 pm

I also use the low tech backup method of road numbers on paper in my tank bag window.

I got lazy!! :lol:

#10 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:46 pm

For coastal navigation I did the course for working out compass heading and calculating variation and deviation and plotting it all on a chart for dead reconing then working out a tidal vector to get a proper position fix and how to take a transit to confirm, sod that I love my garmin chart plotter, I've forgotten how to do most of it now, do still keep a 30 minute log though so if all goes wrong I know where I was 30 minutes ago and which direction at what speed, I'm sure it will all come flooding back once the brown squidgy feeling running down the back of my leg kicks in.

You gotta love gps.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:44 pm

I have a love hate relationship with satnavs.  Lovely when they work properly but immensely annoying when they do things like recalculating route for no reason, or take you through a city centre as it's 0.2 miles shorter than the countryside route.  I often forget which method I've selected, shortest or quickest and that's when I end up going through Leeds city centre at rush hour after hitting the Home button in Pateley Bridge.  I wanted to go down the A1 FFS !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Kelpie

Kelpie

• 944 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:22 pm

I usually like mine! I used to be great at planning routes on the laptop but with changes to software and the onset of old age, Im losing the will to live with planning routes. If we go on tour, we usually make it up as we go along.

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:06 pm

When i'm away i usually sit with a paper map and beer in the evening and plan a route on the sat nav putting plenty of way points in or, when i'm out and about the misses will work out a route on google at home and send info :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:06 pm

I use a garmin 660 in a touratech mount, making it all fit the Royal Enfield was a challenge, but when I got home from Spain had to move it all back to the niner.
I used paper maps too. In hindsight taking the RE that far was a bit mad, the niner will be the long distance tool of choice now.

Edited by leehenty, 08 June 2020 - 06:07 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users