#1 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:00 pm

After the reaction to my postings on 1977 Honda CB550 A tale of lies, engineering incompetence and fraud I thought I would share the correspondence between Master Mechanic and TV personality Peter Thorne and myself I hope you enjoy it.

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020, 20:23 chris racki, wrote:
Hi Pete, hope you got home ok, I transferred the final payment after you left. I cant seem to get the bike to tick over properly, it starts ok on the choke but without the choke keeps cutting out, any ideas? Also I noticed, as you said, that the front brake is still binding. I hope to get out on it in the next couple of days so will report back then, but just thought I should let you know.
Chris

Reply from Pete Thorne:

How long were you letting the engine warm up for, it appears to need choke for quite a while before the choke can be let off. I don't recall rebuilding the master cylinder, but the caliper was stripped painted and rebuilt.

On Fri, 12 June 20.20 13.03 Chris Racki wrote:
Hi Peter, I have just managed to complete 12 miles on the bike, was all going well at first then the revs went up to 3000 and wouldnt come down, I stopped and adjusted the throttle stop then it wouldnt restart for ages, so I had to put the revs back up. Then the front brake started dragging until I almost came to a stop. Managed to eventually get home but it wont tick over and is very noisy. I noticed there was smoke coming from the right lower exhaust while it was ticking over at 3000 revs.
Let me know what you want to do.
Chris
Sent from my iPad

Edited by chrisr, 19 June 2020 - 05:04 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#2 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:12 pm

I don't recall rebuilding the master cylinder, but the caliper was stripped painted and rebuilt.

Is it just Me reading this wrong or would anyone else expect to see the word 'Cleaned 'used ?

Chris
As you have found out to your cost Pete's a Chancing Bar steward .I've no doubt he has previous form
Tread carefully
ATB
Andy

#3 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:19 pm

There’s more to come but as I expected I’m having some technical issues.......

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#4 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:59 pm

12June 20.20 13.41 From Chris Racki
Peter
I have attached a few photos, there is petrol running out of the carbs onto the engine when the petrol is turned on, there is an oil leak underneath the engine, it looks like there should be a cover over the wires beneath the rear light that is missing and I nearly lost the near side footrest rubber as neither of the rubbers had anything to secure them to the footrests. I put the Allen bolts in.

12 June 2020 14.16 From Chris Racki
Peter,
One more photo, as you saw me looking at it yesterday, the scratch on the tank, anything that can be done about this?

14 June 2020 21.15 From Chris Racki
Peter, please can you contact me by e-mail or phone xxxxxxxxxxx to discuss the problems I am having with the Honda.

16 June 2020 10.53 From Chris Racki
Peter, just to let you know the Honda is now in the hands of a competent engineer who is going through the bike and reporting on its condition, he will then be putting it right. I will be forwarding the bill to you for payment. May I suggest you dont spend the £xxx I sent as a final payment after you dropped the bike off. I note that you have not replied to my previous e-mails and your phone number seems to be out of action.
Chris Racki
Sent from my iPad

From 12-18 nothing heard, then:

From Peter Thorne 18 June 2020 23.08
I have looked at you pics, and I am sure the problem is rust or muck in the petrol tank, this would cause the bad running and carbs overflowing. What looks like an oil leak from the engine is probably only the dirty fuel running down the engine from the carbs. The fix is to remove and clean the carbs, clean the inside of the tank and line it with a sealant.
Annoyed you have taken it elsewhere, I was waiting for some sealer kits to arrive before arranging to sort things out.

Edited by chrisr, 20 June 2020 - 09:51 am.

#5 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:49 am

18 June 2020 23.42 From Chris Racki

Peter, I have been told that this bike was in a dangerous condition, the headstock pinchbolt was only 2 threads into the nut. The footrest rubbers did not have any bolts attaching them to the foot pegs and I nearly lost the near side one. The foot pegs themselves were not tightened up and moved around. The front brake seized on as I was riding, the “rebuilt calliper” was found to be corroded inside, the carbs all had rust inside and had definitely not been rebuilt as requested, two out of four pilot screw tips were broken off in the jet. There were no clips holding the petrol pipe on and it was the wrong size, allowing petrol to leak out on to the engine. Hardly any nuts and bolts were done up, let alone torqued up, the tappers and camchain were not adjusted properIy, I could go on but there was so much wrong it would take too long. You didn’t fit electronic ignition as requested and you didn’t change the engine bolts for Allen bolts. Oh yes, and it’s been painted black when it was originally the dark brown model. Sorry, I gave you numerous opportunities to reply to e-mails or answer your phone. I hope you will now have the decency to reimburse me for what it will cost to do what you should have done in the first place. I will forward you the bill when it arrives. I will cover the cost of the electronic ignition.

Sent from my iPad

#6 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:58 am

19 June 09.27 From Chris Racki
Peter, as my engineer is now having to buy further parts to complete the restoration could you give me a copy of receipts for parts you purchased for the project.

19 June 12.39 From Peter Thorne
What parts does he say need buying.

19 June From Chris Racki
Up to now, he has bought
Fork cap bolts x2
Stainless port plugs.
Choke & Tach Cables.
NRP carbs rebuild kit
X 4.
M6 x 65 cap screws.
Engine cap screw kit.
Cap nut M6 stainless.
HEL brake line kit.

I have also supplied him with:
Throttle tube
Brake master cylinder
assembly.

I do not expect you to pay for these as they are all new parts, but you should have fitted them to complete the restoration that he is having to do now. From your earlier reply I note that you did not check the inside of the tank before fitting it or do anything to the carbs.
The bill I will be expecting you to cover is for the labour to put this bike in the condition that you were asked to put it in in the first place.
I also think that your failure to give the bike a test ride is incredible, after all, I rode it for only 12 miles to discover that it wasn’t running properly.
The fact that the front brake seized on in this time, something you say you noticed there was a problem with when you turned the steering, and the fact that the rear brake hadn’t been adjusted, with the adjusting nut at the end of the rod, and the headstock pinchbolt only being 2 threads into the nut made my engineer wonder about the validity of the mot, as he thought these three things alone should mean a failure.

Sent from my iPad

#7 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:46 pm

popcorn eating emoji. :lol: 

Your replies are calm and controlled Chris, well done.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:36 pm

Yea good on you Chris for keeping your head, your going about it the right way, pretty sure i would be all fire and brimstone in your shoes matey and also pretty sure i would be paying a visit to him...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:25 pm

From Chris Racki June 22 18.22

Peter, my engineer has now got into the engine which you told me you had looked at and was fine, he has found rocker pads with the hardening worn through and the new cam chain you fitted, which he says if done properly would mean splitting the crankcase and fitting a new endless one, has been fitted using a split link which has been riveted badly. We now have to try and source replacement rockers.
Would you care to comment? Also, I note you havent as yet e-mailed me the list of parts you replaced on the bike.

Regards
Chris Racki
Sent from my iPadAttached File  CA582B7A-9C49-4CB5-BFAF-523AC38F648E.png   641.06KB   0 downloadsAttached File  D9DBCE12-E8F1-466A-8376-97C5C9209A0F.png   755.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  30EBF3BD-1094-4A9C-8C8F-8EAE3C2EA7FA.png   767.05KB   0 downloads

#10 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:44 pm

Cat's pops out for more Coke & Popcorn........

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:51 pm

Going to rename this Honda LOTUS.
Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:12 pm

On the camchain front was endless chain actually specified? If not then it can't really be held against him.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#13 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:59 pm

As I was never contacted, let alone consulted as to what was required, no it was not specified, what was specified was a full restoration. I wouldn’t know the difference, and if it’s ok to do this that’s fine. It’s not ok to leave the rockers like that though. Lee is keeping in contact, showing me photos with the problems and his progress and consulting me, I believe this is how it should be done?

#14 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:30 pm

Wonder if he'll bother toturn up at small claims court when you make your claim? Think I can see a second part to this saga unfortunately.

Does anyone have a recording of this joker being recommended on tellie? Maybe worth a letter the the company who made the episode for recompense?

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:03 pm

Soft linking is done quite a lot, and if riveted squarely, quite serviceable. This one hasn't been done very well.

Edited by leehenty, 24 June 2020 - 01:07 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:44 pm

I took a guy to small claims court for £100 I think it was.

He refused to recompense me, the court found in my favour.

The bailiffs visited him 3 times (twice during the day when he's at work) the third time I had to guarantee their costs up front and I wasn't for backing down.

They visited him in the evening and it cost him £225 in all

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#17 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:41 am

Wonder if he'll bother toturn up at small claims court when you make your claim? Think I can see a second part to this saga unfortunately.

Does anyone have a recording of this joker being recommended on tellie? Maybe worth a letter the the company who made the episode for recompense?

Think that the Production Company that makes all these programmes is Henry Cole's own company.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:02 am

And recommending someone, if he did, makes him liable for noubt. Plus a recommendation from someone who has zero clue aint really worth a lot!

The boike which oafski remembered much better than me which Pete failed to rebuild correctly. Had components fouling each other and they wheeled it out (due to it not being able to do it under its own power) and presented as a brilliant restoration said it all to me! Boddddddggggersssss.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:04 pm

Is that the one they pushed/freewheeled from the workplace down to the local pub because he couldn't start it ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:10 pm

Yes
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users